The End Of The Economic Crisis

Topic locked
The end of the economic crisis Oct 11, 2009
Hello,

I have been following the news in order to have an idea about the end of this economic crisis. Unfortunately, i was not able to have a clear idea.

All what i was able to deduce is : The crisis will end in 2010 - but when?

My questions are

Do anybody have a good idea about this subject?
If yes. when will dubai and the gulf get back to its normal activity (ie recruitement activity)?

You must have understood it. I am looking forward to work in the gulf.

Thanks for any idea.

Best Regards
Marc

Marc_
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 17, 2009
Well, Dubai is still contracting and Abu Dhabi is still growing and looks undented. (difference of night and day, financially)

Coming three years: Dubai has to refinance $50 billion and it can not be simply expected that Abu Dhabi will pick up the bill without costs for its brother according to Barclay ME analysts.

Expect a slow recovery, the building peak of 2006 will not come back as the whole world drove on a debt-induced growth. Thats over. Some name it the 'new normal' or minimal growth.

Since the Dirham is pegged to the US dollar and US policy is inflationary (debasing the currency by printing money out of thin air) to counter the contracting (deflationary) pressures in the private sector, you can expect a lower purchasing power for the Dirham too.
Mind you, I mean, for example, in relation to the Euro or the RMB (yuan), as those currencies will get stronger in the near future.

Also the average wages in Dubai have declined 30 percent. As you all know, wages are the last thing to pick up.

And last but not least, to be able to foot all the government bills in the future, expect a moderate VAT tax, perhaps even income tax (low) or other fiscal measures to get the government finances in order.

The American dream is over and so is the Dubai expat (income) dream.
Back to a more sustainable business cycle according to my understanding of the financial markets.

Good luck with your decision.
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 19, 2009
Hello,

Thank you for this serious helpful reply.
I started to lose hope for a reply.

Through out my search i learned (and i don't know the degree of reliability of this source) that most of the work in dubai is for Abu dhabi, Saoudi arabia and Qatar.

What about working in abu dhabi, saoudi arabia or Qatar?

Best Regards,
Marc
Marc_
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Nov 04, 2009
Good Morning,

I heard on the radio that Real estate in dubai bounced up by 7% in Q3. I guess that it is a good start!!!

What do you think?

What will be the amplitude of this raise on the IT job market? any ideas?

Regards,
Marc
Marc_
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Nov 15, 2009
Hello,

It seems that things are getting better on the international level.

PIB USA in Q3 = +3.5%
PIB Europe (annuale) = +0.4%

Waiting to see the effect on the job market.
Any opinion?

Best Regards,
Marc
Marc_
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai