Muscat "Report"

Topic locked
Muscat "Report" Jan 07, 2007
Made it to Muscat by plane since driving would have not been possible (no insurance on the car).

Anyways, am glad we went.

We spent more time on the tarmac at Dubai airport than in the air. Flight time was about 50 minutes. We waited for some joker to show up for the flight and by the time they closed the airplane doors the airport was congested so that a flight scheduled to leave at 8:25 left at about 10:00 am. The pilot onnounce the flying time and wihout pause announced the arrival time and the fact that we were descending :shock:

Muscat was very pleasant and clean. Small but picturesque. No skyscrapper and a very nice corniche, souk, forts. Very lush greenery and quite a few fountains.

One thing that stroke us is how quiet the city feels. We were there on Friday so it was spected to be quiet but it was also quiet on Saturday.

We stayed at the Crown Plaza - we were a bit relunctant because we thought it would be "dated" [cheesy 70's decor] but it wasn't. We picked it because it has the best sea views - room with balcony etc. [our first choiced had no rooms available].

We went to the Shangrila for Lunch (Sea Food restaurant there - one of 4). The food was excellent. The entire resort complex is very nice. The location is a bit "remote" but that is the essence of a resort.

We checked out the Chedi Hotel beautiful modern hotel. We tried booking a room there but it was sold out. I recommend it.

Note: While there are many cabs the best way is to hire a car at the airport. I did that last minue so I got a small thing (mazda something). I've own lawnmovers with twice the horsepower of that thing!

Thru February 2nd the Muscat Festival is going on. Think Global Village except at 2 locations (i.e. vendors from various "countries" most stuff made in india or china anyway). At one of the locations they had a very "authentic" heritage village with all sorts of demonstrations and performances. Lots of bagpipes :shock:

I discovered that Omani locals weardifferent head "garments" - I don't know the name yet. The head piece is essentially a "scarf" wrapped around their heads. These scarfs are nicely embroidered. The other type of local head dress is a "cap" (again I will look up the name) which is embroidered in many different colors and patters. Always 2 colors per cap white and another (blue, brown, yellow, etc.).

Women's dress: can't tell the difference.

I noted that many of the taxi drivers were "local" (based on the dress) unlike Dubai :shock: At least I've never seen a taxi driver with a dishdash :shock:

The main souk was ok same old stuff. All 100% pashmira - year right.

The best part of the trip was the visit to the Grand Mosque (Al Qaboos). Just amazing!

So in all Muscat was a good 2 day getaway beyond 2 days you would run out of things to do unless laying by the beach or pool is your thing.

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Travel AroundForum Rules

Return to Travel Around