Apartment Costs? Can't Get A Good Handle On The Average Cost

Topic locked
Apartment costs? Can't get a good handle on the average cost Sep 16, 2006
I have several jobs in Dubai that I am considering. Some are 3-8 month contracts with housing included but several are perm and no housing included.

I've been surfing the boards trying to get a firm idea what a 1-2 bedroom apartment will cost me but am getting hugely varying prices, no idea what the sq meters are and, since I don’t know Dubai at all, I have no idea if it’s a good area to live in or not.

Since my goal is to put as much in the bank as possible, I’m looking for an “affordable” 1-2 bedroom apartment or villa, 100-200 sq meters, unfurnished, near enough to Media City, and in a place that I don’t need to worry about crime. I don’t need any amenities like a pool or gym but available parking for one car would be nice. I’d love to be able to walk out to a convenience store and restaurants but if it means driving to save on rent, so be it.

I’m an American who’s been living all over Asia for the past 10 years, if that makes a difference.

What can I expect to pay for a long term lease on a property like this?

BK

billkalbo
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Apartment costs? Can't get a good handle on the average Sep 17, 2006
billkalbo wrote:I have several jobs in Dubai that I am considering. Some are 3-8 month contracts with housing included but several are perm and no housing included.

I've been surfing the boards trying to get a firm idea what a 1-2 bedroom apartment will cost me but am getting hugely varying prices, no idea what the sq meters are and, since I don’t know Dubai at all, I have no idea if it’s a good area to live in or not.

Since my goal is to put as much in the bank as possible, I’m looking for an “affordable” 1-2 bedroom apartment or villa, 100-200 sq meters, unfurnished, near enough to Media City, and in a place that I don’t need to worry about crime. I don’t need any amenities like a pool or gym but available parking for one car would be nice. I’d love to be able to walk out to a convenience store and restaurants but if it means driving to save on rent, so be it.

I’m an American who’s been living all over Asia for the past 10 years, if that makes a difference.

What can I expect to pay for a long term lease on a property like this?

BK

Hello BK,

I would say Dubai Marina, The Greens, The Views and Barsha all fit into your criteria. Average budgetary figures for this area would be 80-90 K per year for a 1 bedroom and 120-140 K dhs per year for a two bedroom. Good luck !
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 18, 2006
Maaad is spot on

As a caveat i would also tell you to ignore the "crime element" - it doesnt exist to any extent in DXB.

You may also have to reconsider the car element, life is pretty well near impossible without a car, not many developments have a "local shop/shops" within walking distance and in the summer walking is near impossible anyway.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

posting in Dubai Job WantedForum Rules

Return to Dubai Job Wanted