Your Accent .. Does It Matter ?

Topic locked
Sep 10, 2006
When I speak most people think I am American (Hello! There is a large country located to the North of the US.), but I have also had people say that I am British or Australian. Those weren't native English speakers who said that by the way :) Funny thing is now when I am back in Canada I have some people asking me where I come from. I guess I have picked up a bit of an accent from living abroad. To be honest, I don't notice it.

kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Sep 10, 2006
arniegang wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:
pinoy1 wrote:But accent should not be a basis for guaging education or skill. Having an american or british accent does not guarantee a high level of education as even illiterates in those countries can speak perfect english. It's their language that's why.

I was going to say you can't just use the definition of 'British' or 'American' as there are hundreds of different accents within these countries, just like any other. A Geordie sounds nothing like a Liverpudlian or someone from Birmingham or the Cornish. Also dont' forget you have Scottish and Welsh accents in there as well, plus all their different variations.

and not forgeting the posh home counties accent init Chocs :wink:

Yeah, yeah, but funnily enough, most people say I have an Australian twang - go figure.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sep 10, 2006
Nothing like a good West Country accent... aint that right Babs (Arnie)!
:D
Princess Banana Hammock
Dubai Forums Talker

Sep 10, 2006
princess banana hammock,.....wow ... nice nick !
slap
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 10, 2006
Princess Banana Hammock wrote:Nothing like a good West Country accent... aint that right Babs (Arnie)!

Allright my lover! That'll be 5 and twenny paaast that I'll be meeting thee for my supper - hehehehe.

Spent years in Devon and Cornwall!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sep 10, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:
Princess Banana Hammock wrote:Nothing like a good West Country accent... aint that right Babs (Arnie)!

Allright my lover! That'll be 5 and twenny paaast that I'll be meeting thee for my supper - hehehehe.

Where the cider apples grow, Rrrrrrrrrrrrrr
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 10, 2006
Man, some of the accents there are really thick, particularly in the farming villages, takes ages to work out what people are saying. Brummies are hard to work out as well.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sep 10, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Man, some of the accents there are really thick, particularly in the farming villages, takes ages to work out what people are saying. Brummies are hard to work out as well.

What about the people from the North East Geordies, now that takes some beating as far as accents go.
Newcastle Brown Ale also takes some beating :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 11, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Yeah, yeah, but funnily enough, most people say I have an Australian twang - go figure.

They weren't tone dead were they Chocs?
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 11, 2006
i dont know why, but i dont have one set accent...perhaps from moving around so much? honestly, when people here me speak they have no idea where i am from in any language that i am speaking -- english, arabic, farsi....everyone is confused. but they say its cute -- especialy when i speak in arabic, all my friends say its adorable, but i think my accent is starting to rub off on them because my local friends cant speak completely local anymore! lol they started to speak like me....hahahahaha

:twisted:
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 11, 2006
not even my american friends can understand me when im talkin to my peeps back home, cos of this ruff neck london accent i have.

over the years ive obtained and adapted a few accents (complete with hand gestures) to the countries ive lived in to make communication easier.
i also find myself saying stuff like:

"we go with car or we walk?"
"this good or no?"
and one of my favs
"please, you take, this from my heart"...
poppy
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2006
kanelli wrote:When I speak most people think I am American (Hello! There is a large country located to the North of the US.), but I have also had people say that I am British or Australian. Those weren't native English speakers who said that by the way :) Funny thing is now when I am back in Canada I have some people asking me where I come from. I guess I have picked up a bit of an accent from living abroad. To be honest, I don't notice it.

u r back in Canada!!! no wonder it rained hail stones 2 days ago and it did hurt alot!
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 11, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:

Oi you Chocs

jest cuz you is some posh bird from up near the smoke, dunt meen you can have yer go at us down west cuntry way.

Dam city posh folk it makes me wanna drive me tractor over yer way ann dump ye load of mother nature on yer driveway.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sep 11, 2006

yer quite right me babby, giz a snog

:lol:
arniegang

Sep 11, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:

and its ........

5 and twenty past the hour

and...

suppar not supper

:lol: :lol: :lol:
arniegang

Sep 12, 2006
...and my favourite W Country saying:

"oi can't reed an' oi can' rite, bu' tha' don' ma''er - coz oi drive a big red trac'or "

:)
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 12, 2006
shafique wrote:...and my favourite W Country saying:

"oi can't reed an' oi can' rite, bu' tha' don' ma''er - coz oi drive a big red trac'or "

:)

Now that is some accent :lol: :lol: :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 13, 2006
sadly SGO we do actually talk like that

correct = Krec , oooohhh i see = oooohhhhhhh arrrrrrrrrr

:oops: :oops: :oops:
arniegang

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat