Survivor - Segregation Islands - Unbelievable

Topic locked
Survivor - Segregation Islands - unbelievable Aug 27, 2006
Er I can't really believe that TV executives thought this would be a good idea.

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,19855,00.html

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sep 04, 2006
Limbaugh flaunts his racism

Limbaugh handicapped races in new Survivor series, suggested "African-American tribe" worst swimmers, Hispanics "will do things other people won't do"

Limbaugh also asserted that "the Asian-American tribe"--whom he called "the brainiacs of the bunch"--"probably will outsmart everybody," but while "intelligence is one thing ... raw, native understanding of the land--this is probably why the Native Americans were excluded, because they were at one with the land and they would probably have an unfair advantage."

He added that "the white tribe," "if it behaves as it historically has," will "bring along vials of diseases" and "will wind up oppressing" the other tribes by "deny[ing] them benefits" and "property," but will later "try to put [the other tribes] on some kind of benefit program." He further asserted that if CBS "allows ... cheating" and "oppression," "then of course the white tribe is going to win."

http://mediamatters.org/items/200608240003
valkyrie
Dubai chat master

Sep 04, 2006
I think we should keep things in perspective and don't get too politically correct.

Firstly, let me say that I loathe 'Big Brother' type shows where the only attraction is to gawp at people acting up for the camera. I do however think that reality shows as first conceived as fascinating insights into different areas of society - shows like 7-up series and 'Faking it' or even 'wife swap' (intial shows, I stopped watching after a while when it just got silly).

Men and women are different - we don't have men competing against women when it comes to sports/competitions that require phsyicality.

Races are genetically different - hence 'race'. Pygmies aren't going to win any high jump events - to take an extreme example.

There are genetics involved - raw talent has to be there and then developed with training. You cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear - that is why the Russians (and now the UK) used to screen kids to see who had the raw talent to go on to become world class athletes.

Men and women are also different in mental abilities and skills - women are capable of truly multi-tasking, whilst men can only concentrate on one thing at a time (women don't understand why a man needs to turn down the TV to answer a phone call, for example). These differences are genetic and can be explained by evolutionary requirements (recommend the book by Alan and Barbara Pease: "why men don't talk and women can't read maps")

However, there are many aspects of life that transcend physical traits - these relate to attitudes, mental ability, learning and spirituality. These are the results of environment, not genetics.

Now, back the story - this just is the logical next step. We've had rich girls living in country, we've had wife swaps, we've had big brothers, we've had survivor ad nauseum. Why not segregation island?

It may reinforce some stereotypes - but more likely it will change attitudes of some people. It's where entertainment is at the moment and whilst I lament it comes to this, from the studio's perspective they want to get audience share and make money.

I won't be watching, but I am interested in what happens (strangely).

I think this is less distasteful than say the one where couples were tempted to cheat on their partners..

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 04, 2006
It's all about money. The publicity it is generating! It will probably be the highest rated show ever! People have already been protesting in front of CBS, etc. but all it has done is increase "interest".

I don't think there is anything wrong with it! It's a show and it won't change anyone's view outside the show.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums