Big Cats As Pets

Topic locked
Big cats as pets Aug 10, 2006
smartd
Dubai Forums Vice-Admin

Aug 10, 2006
What a shocking story. Those people are careless and ignorant! Can you believe that they declawed the lions and filed their teeth down? Animal rights are in a dismal state in this country. :evil:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Aug 10, 2006
kanelli wrote:What a shocking story. Those people are careless and ignorant! Can you believe that they declawed the lions and filed their teeth down? Animal rights are in a dismal state in this country. :evil:

I saw the story, unbelievable what some people are doing
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 10, 2006
Why are these people not arrested for importing probably illegally protected animals?

THese morons have no clue, what kind of life is that for a wild animal, plus to say they're not dangerous is beyond stupidity, wait till it weighs 300lbs and jumps on you!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 16, 2006
PETA or People for Ethical Treatment of Animals should be informed about whats going on around here...they might be able to help the animals maltreated in this region.
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 16, 2006
Do they have a presence here in UAE?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 16, 2006
not sure Sage,we need to check! :idea:
zam

Aug 16, 2006
Looks like the closest place to here is Mumbai
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 16, 2006
this is not the first time i have heard something like this ... :(

i think it is not fair for the animal... and studies showed that you can take the lion out of the wild, but cant take the wild out of the lion.. they will turn back and attack ........ :?
Sparrow
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 16, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Why are these people not arrested for importing probably illegally protected animals?!

because most of these animals are imported for the pleasure of the influential people in the middle east.

Ok guys what is your view on this one... is it still wrong to keep a big cat, when you rescue them once they have lost favour with their owners and are left to die ??

you cant re-introduce them into the wild because they have been domesticated :?:
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 16, 2006
Well Keith,

I wouldn't exactly say it is wrong, because depending on your available resources you could of course provide a very good home. I think the point was originally raised regarding the several big cats being kept in a small apartment, having their claws removed ect. Now that I can never agree to.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 16, 2006
S & O thats exactly what I thought.....

i think the only way to stop this trade is to try and convince people not to buy such pets.. lack of market should kill the trade
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 16, 2006
KeithL wrote:S & O thats exactly what I thought.....

i think the only way to stop this trade is to try and convince people not to buy such pets.. lack of market should kill the trade

I would agree with you Keith, however, sometimes the people with an over supply of money can never be convinced if you know what I mean.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 16, 2006
KeithL wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Why are these people not arrested for importing probably illegally protected animals?!

because most of these animals are imported for the pleasure of the influential people in the middle east.

Ok guys what is your view on this one... is it still wrong to keep a big cat, when you rescue them once they have lost favour with their owners and are left to die ??

you cant re-introduce them into the wild because they have been domesticated :?:

No but there are plenty of safari parks and santuaries around the world that would take and care for them.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 17, 2006
Actually parks or zoo or whatever sanctuary still not good for animals.

But since these animals have been taken cared of since they were born they wont last a day or two in the wild, yep they should be placed somewhere else.

Heck, Im trying to contact PETA but no luck! Try to visit their website and check out how you guys can help them in your own way.... :wink:

http://www.peta.org
zam

Aug 17, 2006
I didn't say ZOO! I'm against Zoo's! However safari parks and specially built sanctuaries make it a priority to give the animals as much space and freedom as possible. Their sole aim is breeding and conservation programmes with as little human interaction as possible.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 17, 2006
Choco yes I agree safari park is the best place to put them. Did you try the link? :?:
zam

Aug 17, 2006
Has anyone been to the Zoo / Safari Park in Al Ain, I visited some years ago and it seemed quite spaceous.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 17, 2006
nope...only Dubai Zoo and its awful. They are transferring it to somewhere else, hmmm is it finished? :roll:

whenever I ask my husby for a trip to the zoo,he'll just say what for? just look around the neighborhood, haywan everywhere! :lol:
zam

Aug 17, 2006
zam wrote:nope...only Dubai Zoo and its awful. They are transferring it to somewhere else, hmmm is it finished? :roll:

whenever I ask my husby for a trip to the zoo,he'll just say what for? just look around the neighborhood, haywan everywhere! :lol:

I also heard about them moving the Dubai Zoo, however that must be the 3rd or 4th time they have announced it. Lets hope for the animals sake, it is true this time.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 17, 2006
wow baba sage you really seem to be an animal lover... :wink:

what animals do you have as pets or do you believe all animals should be free and not be domesticated/taken cared of by anyone?
zam

Aug 17, 2006
zam wrote:wow baba sage you really seem to be an animal lover... :wink:

what animals do you have as pets or do you believe all animals should be free and not be domesticated/taken cared of by anyone?

We do not have any pets at home, I do believe that animals should be allowed to roam free if possible. If I could own a farm or a ranch it would be different, would love to have a horse and a couple of big dogs, they should have the room to get around though. Thats my view, I don't have anything against anyone who has pets, they should only treat them well.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 17, 2006
I feel the same way about them...I have two dogs, the left and the right. :lol: :lol:

I really have two big dogs in my homeland....One Labrador and the other is (gosh I forgot his kind...something like one blue eye and the other is green ).

Their names are Dexter and Didi. I never placed a chain on them. And they are free to roam around wherever and whenever they want to but believe it or not most of the times they are just in my frontyard playing.
I miss my dogs!!! When I came here to Dubai just looking at their pictures makes me cry.. :roll:
zam

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat