It's Over...

Topic locked
Aug 15, 2006
sharewadi wrote:
shafique wrote:As I said before, i don't understand Arabic so don't watch al-jazeera so can't comment on whether they did link or not - but I am interested in hearing about why Chocs, Kanelli, Arnie etc have written that they do not approve of Al Jazeera - would their opinions change if it transpires that Al Jazeera did not link to these videos and never showed them?

www.aljazeera.com is in English.

I think there's a difference between reporting a beheading and showing the actual event. Anyway Al Jazeera is biased because they don't report the toy bomb story :shock: ...

ahahahaha - nice one dude! Yeah still no evidence on any other news wires. I've been monitoring all morning - zip!

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 15, 2006
uae75, that's fine, no worries. Apologies for getting a little het up. It's one of those days.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 15, 2006
toy bombs, toy bombs? I hope that this isn't a reference to cluster bombs which are particularly nasty - but I have to say, I haven't heard any references on the news sources either.

re: David Frost.... you mean you didn't watch 'let's go thruuuuu the keyhole' ? :) (I used to catch Frost on Sunday on the occasions I was up by 9am, and he has my respect for his early satire work in the 60s)

Talking about news sources- chocs you said early on in this Lebanon conflict that there were reports of Iranian soldiers being found with Hizbollah, I've been keeping an eye out for confirmation of this, but to no avail... has this been proven yet?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 15, 2006
shafique wrote:toy bombs, toy bombs? I hope that this isn't a reference to cluster bombs which are particularly nasty - but I have to say, I haven't heard any references on the news sources either.

re: David Frost.... you mean you didn't watch 'let's go thruuuuu the keyhole' ? :) (I used to catch Frost on Sunday on the occasions I was up by 9am, and he has my respect for his early satire work in the 60s)

Talking about news sources- chocs you said early on in this Lebanon conflict that there were reports of Iranian soldiers being found with Hizbollah, I've been keeping an eye out for confirmation of this, but to no avail... has this been proven yet?

Cheers,
Shafique

I think it would be difficult if not impossible to prove if there were any iranian soldiers with Hizbollah.
uae75
Dubai Forums Talker

Aug 15, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:uae75, that's fine, no worries. Apologies for getting a little het up. It's one of those days.

Dont worry about it Choco.
uae75
Dubai Forums Talker

Aug 15, 2006
A few news wires carried it for literally a couple of hours. But I have a sneaky feeling it was all hushed up. It was reported that 4 Iranian reserve guards were killed fighting alongside Hezbollah, but everyone knows these guys are pretty much working together anyway, so no real surprise.

Ahhhh through the key-hole, what a lame tv show that was. Just don't like the guy, I find him creepy.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 15, 2006
Actually I suspect what happened, was that sketchy reports came out and a few wires ran with it, without getting confirmation, which is very naughty.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 15, 2006
sharewadi wrote:
shafique wrote:As I said before, i don't understand Arabic so don't watch al-jazeera so can't comment on whether they did link or not - but I am interested in hearing about why Chocs, Kanelli, Arnie etc have written that they do not approve of Al Jazeera - would their opinions change if it transpires that Al Jazeera did not link to these videos and never showed them?

I think there's a difference between reporting a beheading and showing the actual event. Anyway Al Jazeera is biased because they don't report the toy bomb story :shock: ...

all the arabic channels reported the bombs that look like small toys , and now south lebanon and south beirut is full of them , who cares who says what when yesterday a family of 5 died cos they touched it .. ISRAEL IS EVIL ADMIT IT , i think alot of u wont see it till they throw a nuclear bomb on lebanon :x or maybe u will find another excuse :evil: :evil:
Corcovado
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 15, 2006
shafique wrote:toy bombs, toy bombs? I hope that this isn't a reference to cluster bombs which are particularly nasty - but I have to say, I haven't heard any references on the news sources either.

Corcovado mentioned it but hasn't come back with a reference. Come to think of it, haven't seen anything from her (or him?) since.

I heard about Iranian soldiers with Hizbullah too but it was second hand and hardly surprising enough that I could be bothered trying to verify it. It's not significant to me one way or the other since I'm of the opinion that Iran and Hizbullah are not independent.

Hizbullah isn't a nationality anyway - they're bound to have many nationalities in their membership.

Toy bombs however do surprise me, that's why I want to see a reference.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 15, 2006
Corcovado, they have nuclear weapons and could have used them already.

What is all this toy bomb business?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Aug 15, 2006
Corcovado wrote:all the arabic channels reported the bombs that look like small toys , and now south lebanon and south beirut is full of them ,

Ah, you're still there. Good. Why won't aljazeera.com show the report then? Haven't seen it in Gulf News, 7days or Emirates Today. Surely they're not western controlled are they? They don't seem to shy away from reporting the brutalities inflicted by Israel.

Can you at least post a link to one of the Arabic reports then.

ISRAEL IS EVIL ADMIT IT
That may be your judgement but I don't see what gives you the right to instruct me to agree with you. And anyway, I have attempted to keep my opinion of Israel to myself - successfully since it seems you have quite the wrong impression of it.

That's the second time you appear to have taken on moderator status (or more) with me. As far as I know, whether or not you are a moderator, I believe the forum rules allow members to have their own opinions. No doubt you'll correct me if I'm wrong but I'd prefer it if one of the other moderators corrected me. Or confirmed that you are a moderator.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 15, 2006
Corcovado wrote:i think alot of u wont see it till they throw a nuclear bomb on lebanon

Israel may be brutal, but they're not going to do that.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 15, 2006
sharewadi wrote:
Corcovado wrote:all the arabic channels reported the bombs that look like small toys , and now south lebanon and south beirut is full of them ,

Ah, you're still there. Good. Why won't aljazeera.com show the report then? Haven't seen it in Gulf News, 7days or Emirates Today. Surely they're not western controlled are they? They don't seem to shy away from reporting the brutalities inflicted by Israel.

ISRAEL IS EVIL ADMIT IT
That may be your judgement but I don't see what gives you the right to instruct me to agree with you. And anyway, I have attempted to keep my opinion of Israel to myself - successfully since it seems you have quite the wrong impression of it.

That's the second time you appear to have taken on moderator status (or more) with me. As far as I know, whether or not you are a moderator, I believe the forum rules allow members to have their own opinions. No doubt you'll correct me if I'm wrong but I'd prefer it if one of the other moderators corrected me. Or confirmed that you are a moderator.

moderator? they has nothing to do with it , we are 2 people with different opinions thats it... and i dont usually agree with urs , but Normale
Corcovado
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 15, 2006
uae75 wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:
freza wrote:WRONG! Al Jazeera has not shown beheadings on their website either!

While it's true that Al Jazeera has received in the past these types of videos, they don't air the full tapes. Al Qaeda have their own (temporary) websites in which the videos have been easily accessible to anyone.

They still link to those sites! Which in my view is an advocation of what these groups are trying to do. So it makes them just as bad.
You won't change my opinion of the channel!

Choco....Wrong again, Aljazeera doesnt even link to these sites. It never even showed once an actual beheading, they always were against showing such images. Get your facts right, cuz i am very sure this info was fed to you, and u never actually checked it. This only shows you that not everything that is fed to you should be true!

EXACTLY!!!
freza
Dubai chat master

Aug 15, 2006
sharewadi wrote:

ISRAEL IS EVIL ADMIT IT

sharewadi,

Here is a link to what Corcovado was talking about.

http://www.alittihad.co.ae/details.php? ... 5&id=69125

Its in Arabic and in Alittihad Newspaper.
uae75
Dubai Forums Talker

Aug 15, 2006
Al Jazeera regularly features interviews wih pro-Israeli pundits and politicians; its political talk shows regularly if not always feature opposing views on a given subject. It airs Bush speeches in their entirety. And Bush has earned a lot more air time, by many more hours, than Osama Bin Laden. Their features are newsworthy and relevant not only to the region but the world. They've been the first to break many stories and again, to feature stories that others don't want to touch because it goes against the propaganda news of others.

I imagine that the ones criticizing Al Jazeera (the TV network) are very well versed in Arabic and have seen hours of its programming but still have managed to form their surprising opinion (and incredible amount of MIS-information!). Otherwise it would be straight out ridiculous for someone to criticize this network if without even speaking or understanding Arabic! Touching upon what uae75 said, If some people have been told that this network is propaganda, then these people should start using their own minds to think for themselves for a change...
freza
Dubai chat master

Aug 15, 2006
sorry, erased info before submitted :?
freza
Dubai chat master

Aug 15, 2006
Corcovado wrote:moderator? they has nothing to do with it , we are 2 people with different opinions thats it... and i dont usually agree with urs , but Normale

Disagreement is fine. Telling me how to post and what to think is what I'm referring to.

uae75 wrote:sharewadi,

Here is a link to what Corcovado was talking about.

http://www.alittihad.co.ae/details.php? ... 5&id=69125

Its in Arabic and in Alittihad Newspaper.

sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 15, 2006
sharewadi wrote:

Sorry, that's Dubai based Al Jazeera.

I presume people are referring to Qatar based www.aljazeera.net in this topic ( English version ).
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 15, 2006
Ok, here's the same story on English Al Jazeera as far as I can tell.

Both Arabic and English versions are talking about 6 people died from a cluster bomb explosion. I don't follow the reference to games and stationery in the Al Ittihad Arabic story though. Are the police saying the claim is nonsense or that it's insane that there are bombs disguised as toys? It sounds like the toys are planted with mines left behind from previous occupation of South Lebanon - if correct, another good reason for Israel to hand over their maps (which was one of the terms of this ceasefire resolution).

I'm surprised there's no reference to it in the Al Jazeera story in English and I can't find a similar story in Arabic on Al Jazeera (problem is with my searching in Arabic I presume).
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 15, 2006
just to clarify

I moderate in here.

Things are ok to date, can we all keep it that way please, please dont be tempted to get personal.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 15, 2006
Sketchy reports on Sky of 2 Fox journalists being kidnapped in Gaza.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 15, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Sketchy reports on Sky of 2 Fox journalists being kidnapped in Gaza.

Same report on Al Jazeera. But that's a bit off-topic no?
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 16, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Sketchy reports on Sky of 2 Fox journalists being kidnapped in Gaza.

Not sketchy ... one is a NZer ... so its all over the news here.
ajb
Dubai chat master

Aug 16, 2006
It was only just breaking at the time and I didn't see the whole report.

Not really 'off topic' seeing as we were talking about 'news stories'.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 16, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Not really 'off topic' seeing as we were talking about 'news stories'.

I thought we were talking about news about Lebanon/Hizbullah/Israel conflict?

Where has everyone gone? I'm still curious about the bit in the article I didn't understand clearly. Surely there's someone who can do a better job of translating it for me?
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 16, 2006
Well the journalists were taken from Gaza, so it's obviously for something eh?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 09, 2007
shafique wrote:As for Al Jazeerah - there appears to be a concerted effort to discredit the channel and brand it as a supporter of terrorism. However, this is propaganda according to respected BBC journalists who have gone to work for al Jazeera (I can't personally comment, as I don't yet understand Arabic - and I take it that perhaps those commenting on Al Jazeera are basing their comments on third party reports rather than actually watching the reports on AJ)

Out of curiousity have any of you been watching Al Jazeerah English? It's been on in Dubai as a free to air channel for at least 2 months. What do you think of it?

I was watching the Palestine unity signing this morning and it reminded me of this discussion.

https://www.jumptv.com/en/channel/aljaz ... rnational/
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Feb 09, 2007
Fayz,

No - I haven't seen the channel yet, I haven't found it when I channel hop. I have a DIC box - do you know if it is being shown on this?

I confess that I tend to only watch BBC News on Dubai TV and watch downloads of programmes from the US (Lost, ER, CSIs etc - currently watching Heroes from the start)!

Will have a look for Al Jazeera International again later.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 10, 2007
Update - found the channel, it was no where near the arabic original channel in the list.

First impressions are that it is very professionally put together with some interesting Documentaries advertised (Witness looks intriguing, for example). I knew Rageh Omar and Sir David Frost had joined them, but was pleasantly surprised to see another familiar face from the UK in Shahnaz Pakravan there hosting her own show.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums