Are American Conveniences Readily Available In Dubai?

Topic locked
Jul 11, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Hahahaha, go watch Supersize me and you'll never touch it again!

I just find it really rubbish to want to move to a new place, but to expect everything from home to be readily available, I mean isn't half the fun checking out new things?

There's definatley a reason very few yanks hold passports, they'd have heart attacks trying to cope with anywhere new.

I've seen Supersize Me - great documentary - but I still eat McDonalds, but admittedly less often!! Maybe 2 or 3 times a year tops.

As for the other things you say - I couldn't agree more with you!!
Some Americans (and not all, I must admit) seem to live in a bubble and don't even want to admit that life goes on perfectly well outside of that bubble, let alone have a taste of that life!!

the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 11, 2006
the_zooter wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Hahahaha, go watch Supersize me and you'll never touch it again!

I just find it really rubbish to want to move to a new place, but to expect everything from home to be readily available, I mean isn't half the fun checking out new things?

There's definatley a reason very few yanks hold passports, they'd have heart attacks trying to cope with anywhere new.

I've seen Supersize Me - great documentary - but I still eat McDonalds, but admittedly less often!! Maybe 2 or 3 times a year tops.

As for the other things you say - I couldn't agree more with you!!
Some Americans (and not all, I must admit) seem to live in a bubble and don't even want to admit that life goes on perfectly well outside of that bubble, let alone have a taste of that life!!

i find it amusing and perhaps a bit cocky that CD covers in the US proclaim "for the world outside of the U.S of A." and when you are visiting the US...everyone is termed an "alien" in immigration lingo :lol: :lol:
constantine
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jul 11, 2006

Unfortunately it no longer surprises me. You always meet the person that whines because the milk doesn't taste the same and their brand of butter isn't available. They are the sort of people who whinge at Spinneys to the cashier while you hope and pray they don't have the same accent as you. They need to move to places where you can't buy these things on a regular basis. Actually some people just shouldn't move period-they make poor ambassadors for their country of origin.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 11, 2006
So true GABs! Plus there are so many alternatives and many are better than what you're used to as well. I like the trial and error factors too - hehehe.

Personally I love the fact that I can use different things from all around the world and am totally up for always trying new things, it's what makes life interesting.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 11, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:I find it sooooo typical of an American to expect all their crap to be available, whatever happened to trying 'local' things!?

Chocoholic wrote:I just find it really rubbish to want to move to a new place, but to expect everything from home to be readily available, I mean isn't half the fun checking out new things?

Isn't that just a bit stereotypical? I by no means am saying I need the exact same lifestyle I have in America (if that were the case, I wouldn't be interested in living halfway around the world). Rather I want to make sure that I won't experience complete culture shock. Immersing yourself in a completely different way of living can be overwhelming, and I want to be able to experience the new things while still having a little taste of home (now if I were planning on coming to Dubai just for a vacation, then of course I wouldn't have these same concerns).
SGMD1
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jul 12, 2006
Stereotypical? Not really! I did say 'NOT ALL' and have many American friends here and all love it here.

I found it a bit silly to ask if there are American bars - not really! They're EXPAT bars! Which means that expats from all over the world frequent them. I found it a little narrow minded and silly to ecide whether to move to a place judged on whether home conveniences are available or not - who cares, if everyone thought like that them people might as well stay where they were born and never go anywhere. Variety is the spice of life. The UAE is not a third world country you know.

It's things like that which turn people off Americans in the first place, is the unwillingness to integrate and try new things, like America is the greatest place on earth to live - news flash - it's not.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 12, 2006
Did you even read my post chocoholic? Where did I imply that the UAE was a third world country, or that I was unwilling to integrate and try new things? If you took the time to actually read what I had written, you would realize we actually agree for the most part. I want variety and I want to experience something different. But that doesn't mean one should abandon their heritage (and I consider mine to be American, as I was born here) and I'd still want to celebrate American holidays and watch American sports from time to time with other Americans...hence my curiosity about American bars.

Lighten up :!:
SGMD1
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jul 12, 2006
SMGD .. its just choco .. you will get used to it eventually :D
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 12, 2006
I see both of your points guys and gals.

From my part, half the fun of wanting to move to Dubai is to try new things and have a new and different lifestyle, that's just not possible where I am. But sometimes I'll want things to remind me of home. There will be things I miss, like some TV programs, I'll miss the cricket too! There are some things I don't ever really want to forget or not celebrate about being British (equally there are some things that are the reason for me wanting to move!! :lol:)
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 12, 2006
I'll give you a dollar for every american you can find at the fast food places in Dubai, in the next 24 hours. I bet, again that 99% are non-american.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 12, 2006
Thanks a bunch maaad. American heritage - oh please that's a good one! Mate I used to live in Plymouth - the Mayflower steps where your Pilgrim fathers left from is your heritage.

I'm being sarcastic!

Well obviously you can see all the sports and stuff, but I wouldn't say there's any American bars, more British, Irish, Lebanese and Aussie. But many show all the big sporting events, but all the satelite networks have sports channels.

I'd have to say the tv networks are dominated by American shows, which personally is a shame as there's so many better things out there, I just find it all cras, very few shows I like.

Sadly I just find many Americans too arrogant.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

TV Jul 12, 2006
You must like prison break chocs! its a fantastic program, well produced and gripping. Id suggest that you check it out.

Welcome back anyway.....good trip?.....i see your refreshed and back in the spirit of things! lol

regards..
thorntonashley
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum