Western Vs Arab Ways

Topic locked
Western vs Arab Ways Jun 27, 2006
In my mostly Arab office (not talking about nationals includes Levant region etc)

I find those of Arab origin argue alot and I was told that they won't back down on a point even if they are wrong its a matter of honour. Where as some other cultures will conceed if the others point is correct

What are the main differences in doing things in business, social etc life in regards to westerners/arabs

I don't want steroetypical answers here but more information/insights

scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 27, 2006
Often its not what you say to them to get your point across, its how. The men have issues regarding women being forceful but if approached in a respectful way they will not feel undermind. Often when putting a point of view it is best to phrase it into a question so that they dont feel threatened into defending their point
themindboggles
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 27, 2006
I am Arab. I can say that we prefer a more personable way of doing business. We take things at heart and we treat our line of business as our baby.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Western vs Arab Ways Jun 27, 2006
scarlet wrote:I find those of Arab origin argue alot and I was told that they won't back down on a point even if they are wrong its a matter of honour. Where as some other cultures will conceed if the others point is correct

Ha ha, very funny :lol: :lol: . Have you stopped beating your wife yet?

Let's make this discussion a little fairer then.

I find those of western origin very narrow minded and stubborn and I was told if you are correct with your argument then they won't back down or discuss things properly but make personal attacks and try to imply you're stupid or uncivilised or both...
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 28, 2006
All of the western countries are not homogeneous. Here in Denmark , we have quite relax enviornment at work. Sometime my boss goes inside the table and fix the phone cable :P .

British are more formal .

Asian/ Arabic are not Boss or the leader but they are the ruler at their offices :wink:
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Jun 28, 2006
It depends on the person even if he is an arab or from another nation .
How it depend?

if he is opend minded educated and cooperative person .The matter of honour is different issue it have nothing to do when it come to doing things in business or social activities .

why its only come to us Arab ..dnt believe what u hear .

belive what u see ..
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 28, 2006
I don't want steroetypical answers here but more information/insights

The question itself was stereotypical, so how do you expect not to get a stereotypical answer ?

... i am sorry but i fail to see how this is a cultural discussion, but rather a discussion about peoples attitudes regardless of where they are from. I think this point has been made in a more subtle way by sharewadi ;)
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 28, 2006
MaaaD wrote:The question itself was stereotypical, so how do you expect not to get a stereotypical answer ?

... i am sorry but i fail to see how this is a cultural discussion, but rather a discussion about peoples attitudes regardless of where they are from. I think this point has been made in a more subtle way by sharewadi ;)

Perhaps I was too subtle. Glad someone noticed though :).
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums