Home Appliances

Topic locked
Home Appliances Apr 30, 2006
Where is the best place to go to, for good prices on decent brands for such home appliances like fridges or dishwashers etc...?

I've been to Carrefour and Geant, but obviously they do not negotiate. I have little love for the Supra crap sold at Jumbo for that matter...

Anyone??? :angel13:

Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 30, 2006
After our search Carrefour was the best - we got all of our appliances from them.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Apr 30, 2006
Liban, I can try to get u a deal at Plug-ins but its at Al Ghurair.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 30, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:Liban, I can try to get u a deal at Plug-ins but its at Al Ghurair.

I don't mind Ghurair as long as I can get a deal TONIGHT :)
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 01, 2006
We ended up buying all our appliances from Plug-in - they beat Carrefour's prices, but initially insisted they don't discount.

Getting a discount via X sounds like a very good deal. Let us know how much discount you got.

Oh - and actually the people who delivered our merchandise were the agents of the manufacturers and nothing to do with Plug-ins - so we had 3 separate deliveries on the day - so it doesn't really matter where you buy the appliances from in terms of service (at least for the better brands who have service centres here).

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

May 01, 2006
Normally if you buy seveal items from one store they will give you a bundle price, that includes Carrefore. Sometimes it's good to shop around and play stores one off against another as many carry those, if you find it cheaper, we'll match it deals.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 01, 2006
I've never heard of Plug-In :shock:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

May 01, 2006
Liban wrote:I don't mind Ghurair as long as I can get a deal TONIGHT :)

Sorry matey, I only saw ur message late last night. Hope you managed to sway a good deal.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 01, 2006
kanelli wrote:I've never heard of Plug-In :shock:

K, they have almost as many shops around as Axiom... ok well, slight exageration on my part... but still plenty of stores around the place. The ones I normally go to are in Deira City Centre and Al Ghurair.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 01, 2006
shafique wrote:We ended up buying all our appliances from Plug-in - they beat Carrefour's prices, but initially insisted they don't discount.

True that Shaf, I managed to get prices well well below carrefour when I bought my things.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 01, 2006
Plug-Ins are pretty good although their staff often don't have much product knowledge. Carrefore pretty much always undercut them for price though.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 01, 2006
We rarely shop downtown because we live in Emirates Hills. If we need any other appliances we'll have to check that store out.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

May 01, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Plug-Ins are pretty good although their staff often don't have much product knowledge. .
Understatement of the year :lol: :lol: , Sadly this reality exists in most stores in Dubai i find. The best thing to do is research on the internet, determine what exactly you want and then head to the stores for pricing.

Best of luck Lib and let me know how you make out, in 3 months I'll be moving and will need to get appliances.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

May 01, 2006
Ditto Fayz. You can't expect to go into a store and get good product advice here. Really need to know what you want and how much you want to pay for it before going into the store otherwise they'll have a field day with ur wallet.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 01, 2006
Well I ended up going to Carrefour, only after I nearly got into a fight with the manager at Geant (another story for another day)...

I got pretty good stuff, exactly what I wanted. Didn't get a dishwasher yet, will probably go find one this weekend at Plug-ins.

Thanks for all your help people.

No matter how many flames we may launch, you guys remain awesome!!! :D
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 01, 2006
Liban, are you and K on good behaviour bonds?

People are being so sentimental today... all together now... "awwwwwww"
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 01, 2006
Liban wrote:Well I ended up going to Carrefour, only after I nearly got into a fight with the manager at Geant (another story for another day)...

I got pretty good stuff, exactly what I wanted. Didn't get a dishwasher yet, will probably go find one this weekend at Plug-ins.

Thanks for all your help people.

No matter how many flames we may launch, you guys remain awesome!!! :D

Liban, the dishwasher is a great place to save money. I was talking with some other friends who are also only a couple, and they say they hardly use their machine because it is just quicker to wash the dishes by hand for only two people. I also only wash our dishes by hand. Something to consider, but do ask your wife first!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

May 01, 2006
Gotta agree with K. I've got one and the only time I've ever used it was when I first cleaned all my plates cause I couldn't be arsed hand washing 3 drawfuls. Pretty much hibernating for the past 10 months now.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 01, 2006
Dishwasher is a good place to save money.... Thats true.

But we are also the kind that leave things pile up till the last second and then we have to wash 2-3 days worth of pots and pans and dishes/glasses/cutlary... When we cook Arabic food, we use alot of dishes and pots :)

Our time is worth more to us than a few thousand AED for a dishwasher... We'll get one soon enough when it becomes financially sound for us to do so...

Renting a villa can be soooooooo expensive!! :oops:
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 01, 2006
Your point holds true as well Liban, in your case u just stack them in there and they stay out of sight til they are cleaned. Well worth ur investment in one.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 01, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:Your point holds true as well Liban, in your case u just stack them in there and they stay out of sight til they are cleaned. Well worth ur investment in one.

Bingo!!

Saves us from dealing with fruit flies too that are attracted to dirty plates... :(
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

home appliances May 21, 2006
What about bringing appliances over from the uk folks, like tv/dvd/pc etc?
Will they work over there?
d
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: home appliances May 21, 2006
d wrote:What about bringing appliances over from the uk folks, like tv/dvd/pc etc?
Will they work over there?

Yeah, you guys have the same voltage and frequencies as the UAE... Your TV signals are PAL also like here...

Your electrical connector might be different but thats cheap to buy...
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 21, 2006
Plugs here are the same as UK.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 21, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:Plugs here are the same as UK.

I stand corrected exaredoubleyou-onefourseven... :)
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 21, 2006
Three pin square, same as UK.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 21, 2006
thanks to all
d
Dubai Expat Wannabe

May 21, 2006
Better yet, dishes, glasses, pot and pans seem to be cheap just throw them away after each use! Not that the paper or plastic ones.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 21, 2006
kanelli wrote:I've never heard of Plug-In :shock:

thats because you never go shopping K

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum