CAI For A CIvic 2006

Topic locked
CAI for a CIvic 2006 May 14, 2006
Guys I need help locating a CAI, preferably K&N for a CIvic 06.

Any suggestions?

A64Venice
Dubai Expat Helper

May 14, 2006
man it is going to be 50 soon enough, A cold air intake ain't going to be as beneficial. I did see some for sale in Sharjah by the BMW road, not sure the exact store name though
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

May 14, 2006
fayz wrote:man it is going to be 50 soon enough, A cold air intake ain't going to be as beneficial. I did see some for sale in Sharjah by the BMW road, not sure the exact store name though

Fays, this is exactly why i want to get it now, cus the engine will definitely breath better than the stock intake.

Have you heard of a place called rami trading? I went to uaeboost.net and they claim to be selling K&N intakes. But Im not sure if I can get the exact kit for the civic.
A64Venice
Dubai Expat Helper

May 14, 2006
The place that I saw had an AEM sign on it, I had an AEM CAI system on my DOHC Del Sol back in the day, I found it very good, but nothing beat the Jackson Racing super charger I installed 8) dollar for dollar.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

May 14, 2006
A64, K&N don't do CAIs. They do panel filters - for your stock airbox, and pod filters. In this type of weather if you don't use a proper CAI the stock airbox actually does a better job of giving 'cooler' air to the engine.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 14, 2006
i didn't think K&N did intakes, I'm glad you cleared that up X.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

May 14, 2006
Guys K&N does make CAI Filters. The only thing it deosnt come with are the AL welded pipe.

I used to have a K&N cai filter on my lancer back in the college days.
A64Venice
Dubai Expat Helper

May 15, 2006
A64 - K&N have open air cone filters connected to fat pipes which suck in LOTS of hot air (even though they are sold as CAI).

We had a customer who installed the K&N induction kit on his M3 and kept blowing his sensor everytime he floored it.

Best option is to install a BMC CDA - www.bmcairfilters.com ...... they have a heat shielded CF box (where the filter sits) so the whole piping is also protected from engine heat and the intake pipe can be ducted right to the bottom of the engine bay.

I have it on my car and notice only a slight drop in performance so far in the heat. (low revs - gets breathing ok once you moving on higher gears)
evolve
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 15, 2006
A64Venice wrote:Guys K&N does make CAI Filters. The only thing it deosnt come with are the AL welded pipe.

I used to have a K&N cai filter on my lancer back in the college days.

Its a pod filter, not a CAI. CAI is as per described by evolve - where you actually get 'cold' air.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 15, 2006
Dude, there are two types you can get. Either a Short Ram Intake or a Cold air intake.

The cai basically has a longer pipe going from the MAS all the way down to the front bumper so it stays away from the hot engine zone. Its not like you can get a special filter which transforms warm to cold air. Its all about location, where you place the filter.

The good thing about K&N is that their filters are oiled which allows better air intake without compromising engine life.
A64Venice
Dubai Expat Helper

May 16, 2006
A64Venice wrote:Dude, there are two types you can get. Either a Short Ram Intake or a Cold air intake.

The cai basically has a longer pipe going from the MAS all the way down to the front bumper so it stays away from the hot engine zone. Its not like you can get a special filter which transforms warm to cold air. Its all about location, where you place the filter.

The good thing about K&N is that their filters are oiled which allows better air intake without compromising engine life.

Dude, that's exactly my point - K&N do not make your CAI kit, they make pod filters - short ram for you.

I'm speechless you of all people are trying to explain performance concepts to me :roll: - especially when you don't even know who makes what.

And wrong, in the climate and environmental conditions here an oiled filter is not good for A/F meter nor engine life.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 16, 2006
K&N cone filters are a BADDDD idea for this country.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 16, 2006
I'm speechless you of all people are trying to explain performance concepts to me :roll: - especially when you don't even know who makes what.

XRW - perhaps you should show them the scooby you built on the other forum..... :wink:
evolve
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 16, 2006
evolve wrote:

Dude here is what I want, but I need the kit for the civic 06. And I definitely need a longer pipe.

Worse comes to worse, I can get this and and extra pipe and use a dremel to custom fit it.

A64Venice
Dubai Expat Helper

May 17, 2006
evolve wrote:XRW - perhaps you should show them the scooby you built on the other forum..... :wink:

If he hasn't caught on to what we are suggesting to him so far I think it'll fall on deaf ears matey :)
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 17, 2006
A64Venice wrote:Dude here is what I want, but I need the kit for the civic 06. And I definitely need a longer pipe.

Worse comes to worse, I can get this and and extra pipe and use a dremel to custom fit it.

Dude, you just made my point yourself. K&N do not make a CAI kit, that is not a K&N CAI kit, its a CAI kit with a K&N airfilter.

And for the last time, don't get a K&N filter - they are crap for this kind of weather/conditions. You will be replacing more A/F meters than you can poke a stick at.

The best CAI setup is a heat shielded pod filter in the engine bay with ducting from your front bar/grill directing air into it. The idea of changing your intake setup is to increase throttle response, air volume and intake efficiency. Increasing your intake length actually reduces throttle response, as the air has to travel further and loses it's 'charge' - same concept as shorter I/C piping reduces lag. This coupled with not positioning the A/F meter at the proper distance at point of intake equals reduced performance across the board.

In short, if you don't want to do it right, leave it stock.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 17, 2006
XRW, to sum up, you're basically telling me to get a short ram intake, which are known to be very loud. Try Reving 6Krpm on a cai and you will see how much air throttle you get. And where the heck will I get a heat shield plus ducting??? Have you looked under the hood of a 06 civic? There is no space to put all that.

I know you seem to know a lot about this, but I am not a first-timer either. I have installed intakes, headers, catbacks many times before when I used to live in Florida, where the weather isnt that much different than here, okay maybe it doesnt go till 50C. And there are no risks of getting hydrolocks in Dubai since it hardly ever rains here.

I know I will sacrifice 2-3hp with a K&N over a AEM, but its worth getting.

Don't you think? :shock:
A64Venice
Dubai Expat Helper

May 19, 2006
Dude, to sum it up, I'm (and apparently a couple of others here) basically telling you to stay away from K&N in this weather/condition. If you really want a pod get a dry type.

I've had cars revving past 8k with a pod bolted straight to a snail so what's your point? House it in an intake box if it's too loud for you. And yes, there is plenty of room to work with - I'll fit it for you if you need.

If you haven't caught on Evolve actually is a workshop. Check them out in Al Quoz. They will be able to sort out your intake box/heat shield/ducting needs :) - Free plug.

I'm not referring to sacrificing HP for a K&N - they just aren't suitable here unless you are planning on running without your AFM. Simple as that.

We are only trying to offer sound advice so you don't rooster up your car. Bottom line, its your car and you are free to do with it as you wish. Goodluck.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto