Magazine Publication

Topic locked
Magazine Publication May 16, 2006
I want to start a new magazine publication in UAE. This magazine would be basically on daily life issues, technology and entertainment.

Anybody knows how I could I find detail information and terms and conditions and how should apply my request to the government of UAE?

Regards,
Mahmood.

mahmoodb
Dubai Forums Frequenter

May 16, 2006
My friend without wishing to put a downer on your idea, there are literally hundreds of magazines of that sort in the market already, both produced locally and imported.

Magazines are virtually launched on a monthly basis here, last a few months then disappear.

My suggestion would be to really research what is already available and find a niche market for unique ideas first before you waste your time and money.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 16, 2006
Media City? But like C says, you will find it competitive unless you have something you can be sure there is a demand for eg...

Timeoutdubai was good (going weekly was a questionable decision)
Car Middle East - at last a decent car magazine for 10 dhs
PC Middle East is ok but I still find it lacking compared to international version.
Emirates Woman is quite good.
Construction Weekly is worth a read (don't laugh, really!).
ME Business is ok but usually just seems to repeat what you've already read in the dailies.

But of course they're either going well off the back of international versions or have been established here for quite a while.

Although there's reasonable sized population here, it's not homogenous like in other countries so any magazine is generally going to cater to a relatively small niche market.

Try and get circulation figures for existing mags, I think accuracy of whatever you find is questionable though. Weren't Khaleej Times and Gulf News were taking shots at each other over circulation figures recently?
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Magazine Publication May 16, 2006
mahmoodb wrote:I want to start a new magazine publication in UAE. This magazine would be basically on daily life issues, technology and entertainment.

Oh no, I just read this bit again. You're not talking about another version of "Charged" I hope :? . They're still around so I presume they're successful but I'm very unimpressed with it.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

May 16, 2006
Your brilliant ideas made me surprised. Specially idea about a niche market.
mmm... I was thinking to a magazine for Iranian community in UAE. However, I know there are some Persian magazines here. But I belive that there is still enough room for a new magazine.
You know, I am not going to start a magazine like those very popular magazines. I just want to cover a small but searching people.
For example, I am expert in Internet marketing issues, I have run so many seminars and classes and have a websites on this issue. I also beleive that the Internet industry is not being used professionally in UAE. However, the penetration percentage is high here, but, professional users are low. So, I thought that maybe my knowledge on this issue could be a good idea for a magazine.
Also, I am decided to earn money from advertisement income in the magazine (my own magazine, Enshallah).

Regards,
Mahmood.
mahmoodb
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat