Inflation Stats

Topic locked
Inflation Stats Apr 24, 2006
Hey All,

It is almost time for my contract renewal discussions (can't believe I’ve been here almost 2 years) One thing i can't find though is good solid ammo about cost of living (inflation) and how much they've increased over the last two years. Are there any websites, stats, etc. you can offer to help me. Juices or stronger, to those that come to my aid :)

Thanks in advance, any tidbit you can offer would greatly be appreciated.

fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Apr 24, 2006
Apparetly canadian gove keeps good track of stats, I have checked these with gulf news and khaleej times.
http://www.infoexport.gc.ca/ie-en/DisplayDocument.jsp?did=61773
I have list of other sites if u want
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 24, 2006
DUBAI - Miriam's landlord has given her an ultimatum - pay up or get out of your suburban Dubai villa. Miriam received an annual rent bill of 90,000 dirhams ($24,500), up almost 40 percent from 65,000 dirhams her family has paid for the past seven years for the three-bedroom house. "We will manage to pay it, but a lot of our neighbours can't and are moving out," said Miriam, one of the hundreds of thousands of expatriates that account for 80 percent of the population of the Gulf Arab emirate. Her plight is mirrored across Dubai, which lures large numbers of new expatriates to fuel its break-neck development, leaving everything from luxury beach villas to pokey downtown studios in short supply.

"It is certainly an issue," said Elaine Jones, chief executive of real estate consultancy Asteco. She said the growth of Dubai's population exceeded even the most bullish expectations in 2004, after growing 7 percent in 2003 to 1.2 million. One Dubai-based firm said its office rent was up 40 per cent. Economists warn that rising inflation may dent Dubai's drive to diversify in order to compensate for dwindling oil reserves.

"The most fundamental question is could Dubai price itself out of being a business hub?" asked Daniel Hanna, an economist with Standard Chartered in Dubai.

The bank put inflation at 8 percent in Dubai last year, with rent the main factor. Prices have also risen for basic goods and services including food, schooling and health care. The official inflation figure is around 3 percent.

UAE nationals benefit from subsidised housing, as well as free schooling and health care. Recruitment consultancy GulfTalent said in a survey that rent in the UAE rose 26 percent in a year while the average salary increase was 1.5 percent. It predicted relocations from Dubai to cheaper emirates and"an increased turnover in the job market". Nine percent of 500 people surveyed said they planned to leave the country due to the high cost of living, it added. Most of Dubai's consumer goods are imported, and a dirham weakened by its peg to the US dollar has driven up their cost.

"Prices of food and non-food items have risen, on average, 10 to 15 per cent over the past two years," said Marwan Al Thani, manager of major retailer Union Coop. "It is hurting our customers on lower incomes. "At the other end of the scale, fees at some luxury Dubai golf clubs are rising, as wealthy managers and entrepreneurs queue to join the most exclusive courses.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 24, 2006
sniper420 wrote:Apparetly canadian gove keeps good track of stats, I have checked these with gulf news and khaleej times.
http://www.infoexport.gc.ca/ie-en/DisplayDocument.jsp?did=61773
I have list of other sites if u want

Thanks Guys I really appreciate it. If you wouldn't mind sharing your other sites Sniper, I’d be appreciative.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Apr 24, 2006
Don't forget the recent 5% municipality tax!!!
G
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 24, 2006
fayz i dont think there is any accurate measure of inflation in the country just because to measure inflation you need a consumer price index which i dont think exists.

I am not sure if inflation stats would help you in your contract renewel negotiations anyway. Because you dont care about the change in cpi. your biggest expense as an expat is rent. So unless they provide you with accomodation then your talking about an average 40% increase that is hitting your bottom line. so asking for a 5% increase in pay is not going to be enough ;)

anyway you might find that jumping ladders would be much better than trying to actually go up the ladder your on right now ! Good luck bro.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 24, 2006
Don't know if this is of any use?? This article was found by my cousin - think she was warning me off moving to Dubai!! lol
It mentions the official inflation rate, and also the unofficial rate (over 20% !!).
Anyway, hope it helps.
Zooter

Code: Select all
http://www.arabiestrends.com/Cover%20Story%200403.htm
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Apr 24, 2006
MaaaD wrote:anyway you might find that jumping ladders would be much better than trying to actually go up the ladder your on right now ! Good luck bro.

thanks Maaad, jumping is one option, I've been very fortunate a couple interesting offers have come my way.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Apr 24, 2006
thanks zoot
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

posting in Accommodation in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Accommodation in Dubai