What Is The Point Of Insurance In A Hit And Run?

Topic locked
What is the point of insurance in a hit and run? Apr 08, 2006
I had my car parked outside my building for a few days, it is also covered to protect the body from sun, moisture, colour fading and so on.

Since it is windy today, the cover partially fell off the car. So, naturally, i went out to fix that. Then i saw a dent on the driver's side fender, with some beige/white paint marks, someone hit me and did not even leave a note.

Insurance company would not cover it, since there is no 'other car' around. So i ask, what is the point of insurance in this case? i was just about to spent a lot of money on a fresh new paint job (it is an old car) and this is one of the many reasons i don't want to.

Any tips? anything i can do?

hosrom_951
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 08, 2006
I think I'm right in saying that if your car is over a certain age here, then you cannot get comprehensive insurance for your car, meaning that things like this will not be covered - it's stupid I know.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 08, 2006
I asked them if the car had full insurance, they informed me that it would be the same thing.

Since there is no one else, how can the insurance company charge another company to cover the expenses.

What a drag, seriously......
hosrom_951
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 08, 2006
No it's not the same, comprehensive insurance means you can get your car fixed on your own, but obviously your premium would go up. But you still need a police report - silly I know, but a friend of mine backed into a post, but the insurance wouldn't pay out unless they had a police report, as obviously the post jumped out and hit him - doh!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 09, 2006
Did you provide them with a police report??

if you did, they should pay for it if the police report stated that it was not your fault.
yshimy

Apr 09, 2006
Yshimy is correct if you get the police to make a report to say the car was hit whilst parked and not your fault, if you have comprehensive insurance, then they will fix it.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 09, 2006
Just to confirm what was said above, Full and plpd (third party) are def. not the same, Full means even if there is no one to blame, your fault, hit and run you are covered, PLPD you are not.

It is impossible to insure an older car, <1998 with full coverage in the UAE, well maybe not impossible but damn near.

People here have no respect for other's properties, a similar thing happened to me I ran into the store and came out 10 mins later to see some paint on my bumper a month or so back :x
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Apr 09, 2006
fayz wrote:People here have no respect for other's properties, a similar thing happened to me I ran into the store and came out 10 mins later to see some paint on my bumper a month or so back :x

Dude, did you ever paint that bumper?
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 09, 2006
haven't had a chance, went to the place you suggested one Saturday and it was closed, never went back. Inshallah this month.

How is the imported car and woman holding up ;) we’ll have to get together next week.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Apr 09, 2006
fayz wrote:
How is the imported car and woman holding up ;) we’ll have to get together next week.

Both doing quite well... Thx for asking :)

Once you are freer give me a shout bro... My MSN and phone are always open :)
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto