Kony 2012: Lord Help Us, Because This Campaign Won't Help...

Topic locked
Kony 2012: Lord help us, because this campaign won't help... Mar 10, 2012
I’ve been playing the “who’s the biggest terrorist” game for years. It’s particularly fun with Americans, and the most fun with American Christians. You can see their mind going through the options – Saddam, Osama, the Taliban? They’re not sure which one, but they know it’s one of those Arab Muslim types.

Except it’s not. This is the fun part – introducing them to Joseph Kony and the Lord’s Resistance Army, and watching the realisation dawn that there are people who do bad things in the name of Christianity too, and they’re worse than the Muslims. If the world was just, the War on Terror would be fought in Central Africa, and everyone wearing a crucifix targeted by the overzealous officials at US airports.

But this game’s not going to be fun anymore. As of Tuesday morning, Joseph Kony has finally entered the consciousness (and the conscience) of the western world, thanks to a slick piece of viral marketing from the Invisible Children campaign. If you have any social media presence whatsoever you’ll know what I’m talking about: the over 4-million YouTube views of the Kony 2012 video, the “shares” on Facebook from even your most apolitical friends, the six Kony-related hashtags trending in Twitter’s worldwide Top 10. Finally, Joseph Kony and the Lord’s Resistance Army have gone mainstream.

And they’ve earned it. There is some debate about the figures, so let’s keep it general, but the LRA have done some terrible things. The lives of hundreds of thousands of people have been affected by their misdeeds, whether through killings, child conscription, sex slavery, rape, maiming and displacement. Al-Qaeda can only dream of this kind of influence. There’s some evil stuff going on in central Africa, and it needs to stop.

http://dailymaverick.co.za/opinionista/ ... elp-anyone

Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Kony 2012: Lord Help Us, Because This Campaign Won't Hel Mar 10, 2012
It is worth remembering that I considered Kony's lot to be converts to a sect that is outside Christianity.

However, event horizon insisted that these guys were Christians and not converts - hence he claimed the terrorists for Christianity:

shafique wrote:
You didn't answer my simple question though - do you consider the LRA as Christian terrorists? (I said I do not, so they are clearly converts).

event horizon wrote:
Yes, they seem to be Christian terrorists. Which means they are the born again types and not actual converts.

dubai-politics-talk/christian-muslim-convert-terror-counts-the-results-t38110-120.html#p320768

(Incidentally, it does show that in the past eh did actually answer questions posed to him - perhaps that is why he now runs away from questions??)

Cheers,

Sahfique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Kony 2012: Lord help us, because this campaign won't hel Mar 13, 2012
And this is how they fight him, against his crimes, murder of male children in thousands.. So so sad and heartbreaking.. This just shows how evil a man can get...

Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Kony 2012: Lord help us, because this campaign won't hel Mar 15, 2012
everyone wearing a crucifix targeted by the overzealous officials at US airports.

I'm trying to understand this logic.

How many times have members of the LRA bombed / attempted to bomb / hijacked commercial planes, again?

So what would be the logic behind screening Christians if they don't have a history of terrorism involving aviation that Muslim extremists do?

Al-Qaeda can only dream of this kind of influence

Hmmm, Islamic groups in Iraq, including AQI, have killed over 100,000 people in far less time than the LRA. Perhaps the author should first make sure his claims are accurate before making them.

I don't even know how many people have died in the Islamic civil war in Algeria. And then there's al-Shabab, Boko Haram, MILF, Taliban, AQAP, AQIM, TTP and so on. There's no comparison to Islamic terrorism with any other terrorism. Muslims terrorists are the greatest purveyers of violence in the world today.
event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Kony 2012: Lord Help Us, Because This Campaign Won't Hel Mar 15, 2012
event horizon wrote:So what would be the logic behind screening Christians if they don't have a history of terrorism involving aviation that Muslim extremists do?
You're kidding us... this chap in this video says, world's grateest terrorists are white super powers... Do you think muslims could screen them EH? :)

Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Kony 2012: Lord help us, because this campaign won't hel Mar 15, 2012
According to the US department of Justice, Islamists Dominate the List of Terror Prosecutions, with more than 80 percent of all convictions tied to international terrorist groups and homegrown terrorism since 9/11 involving defendants driven by a radical Islamist agenda.
Though moslems represent about 1 percent of the American population, they constitute defendants in 186 of the 228 cases DOJ lists.
The indisputable fact that radical Islamists are disproportionately involved in terror-related crimes justifies profiling and extra precautions to keep that scourge out of our planes.
http://www.investigativeproject.org/265 ... osecutions
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Kony 2012: Lord Help Us, Because This Campaign Won't Hel Mar 15, 2012
Berrin wrote: event horizon wrote:So what would be the logic behind screening Christians if they don't have a history of terrorism involving aviation that Muslim extremists do?

You're kidding us... this chap in this video says, world's grateest terrorists are white super powers... Do you think muslims could screen them EH? :)

What does that have to do with airport security?
event horizon

Re: Kony 2012: Lord Help Us, Because This Campaign Won't Hel Mar 16, 2012
I think Berrin has been on the lash :drunken:
Bethsmum

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk