Dubai Police Are Lock Up Happy.

Topic locked
Dubai Police are Lock Up Happy. Feb 08, 2012
A woman gets locked up when she resigns from her job and gets into a legal dispute with her employer about termination payment.

Something similar happened to a friend of mine, arrested and jailed without any court appearance when a former employer filed a abscontion report. I assume this kind of thing happens a lot. I know from experience that police need not charge someone when they make an arrest. A person can be arrested and detained indefinately without charge.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/emplo ... s-1.975190

This system of absconding reports seems a bit like slavery. When an employee leaves their job, they can be declared a run away and punished by the police without a court appearance.

blueshift
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Dubai Police Are Lock Up Happy. Feb 08, 2012
All sounds a bit messy really. If the employer had given her permission to carry on running the beauty salon, they'd have issued an NOC. Lots of holes and inconsistancies with this one.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic , Do you think she deserves to go to jail for not getting an NOC? The point is, she was fired, she didn't abandon her job to persue a life of crime. How is this absconding?
blueshift
Dubai forums Addict

I have heard of people who threaten to report something illegal going on in their company being shown the "I will declare you absconding" stick.

In other words, if you ever report on anythign bad, we will say you absconded , so you get locked up indefinitely
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Dubai Police Are Lock Up Happy. Feb 09, 2012
Agreed, it's a nasty tactic used by some companies to get out of paying people what they're due. No of course she didn't deserve to be locked up. Sounds like a very dodgy company to work for.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat