Space Tourism Research!

Topic locked
Space Tourism Research! Sep 29, 2011
Hello everyone! :D

As I've mentioned in my introduction thread, I'm a student of Emirates Aviation College, and I'm currently undergoing a research involving Space Tourism. I was wondering - what do you guys think about it?

Dubai is currently aimed toward being one of the space hubs of the world. They're planning to build a space port under Virgin Galactic's name, as well as partner up with Bigelow Aerospace in order to help extend their knowledge, technology, and research out to space travel and space in general.

Virgin Galactic tickets reach up to $200,000 (which is rumored to drop down to $23,000 after a couple of years). Do you guys think it's fair? Is Space Tourism a bad idea, or a good idea? What do you think?

I have a questionnaire available, and if anyone is interested in giving more of their thoughts in, please notify me and I'll send it to ya! Much, much appreciated, guys! :)

Good day, and thanks!

LouieStudent
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Space Tourism Research! Sep 29, 2011
Space tourism is a really tempting and interesting idea, but how about the environmental impact? Do you have any info on the volume of fuel needed per trip and how much each trip contributes to the large volume of space junk currently orbiting the earth? Feel free to send me the questionnaire by PM. Thanks!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Thanks for your interest and participation, kanelli! :D I sent the research questionnaire through pm.

Apparently, Richard Branson assures the public that they will make sure to focus on using environmentally friendly fuel, but there is much speculation at this point. It is certainly one of the public's concerns!
LouieStudent
Dubai Expat Wannabe

kanelli wrote:Space tourism is a really tempting and interesting idea, but how about the environmental impact? Do you have any info on the volume of fuel needed per trip and how much each trip contributes to the large volume of space junk currently orbiting the earth? Feel free to send me the questionnaire by PM. Thanks!

I would compare the space junk to the amount of posts you have on this forum. :bounce:
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter, drewpeacock! :)
LouieStudent
Dubai Expat Wannabe

LouieStudent wrote:Thanks for your thoughts on the matter, drewpeacock! :)

LS, would love to contribute more to your project but I doubt if many on this forum would really understand.

You have to remember that most use a donkey (ass) as the main mode of transport, so any comments about space travel would only confuse some of the small girls here.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Any form of thoughts or opinions are relevant in this research! Thank you!
LouieStudent
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Hi Louie, feel free to PM me your questionnaire, I'd be happy to fill it out for you.

I think people will always want to go into the big beyond. Space travel has always captured the human imagination, so it's only inevitable that people will pay to go into space. However, it's a shame that tourism is taking over the scientific applications, with the retirement of the space shuttles and the ISS due to be decommissioned in a couple of years. Where do we go from there? This is the next step I guess. But as K already pointed out, earth's outer atmosphere is already cluttered with too much junk and maybe we should be dealing with that first.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Thanks a bunch for the help and your opinion, Chocoholic :) You do raise a good point!

I'll send the questionnaire to ya as well :D
LouieStudent
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Completed and returned :D I hope it helps.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Thanks a bunch, and it most definitely will! :D
LouieStudent
Dubai Expat Wannabe

LouieStudent wrote:Thanks a bunch, and it most definitely will! :D

Just remember in your project it's like any database.

Shite in"................shite out.

Chocs, I can just see you in a spacesuit.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

LouieStudent wrote:Thanks a bunch, and it most definitely will! :D

Hey - very interesting study. Any chance of a one way ticket? Drewcockpea wants to go and live out there. He says he feels out of place on earth (its a sensitive issue).
DearJohn
Dubai forums Addict

Or he might get killed in one of Dubai's towers, and then will surely cut it short to hell ;)
symmetric
BANNED

Re: Space Tourism Research! Sep 30, 2011
Reply sent. Good luck with the research! Please do come back and let us know more about Virgin's plans, and especially more details about the environmental impact of space tourism.

If you would consider making your questionnaire at Survey Monkey http://www.surveymonkey.com/ You could then post the link here or send to people by email etc. It may help you get a higher response rate to the questionnaire.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Space Tourism Research! Sep 30, 2011
Thanks for the suggestion, kanelli :) I'm definitely going to check that out!

And yes, I'll keep you all updated on Virgin's plans :D or any development on space tourism in general.
LouieStudent
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat