Driving Tip - Use U-Turns

Topic locked
Driving Tip - Use U-Turns Mar 28, 2006
I thought I’d share with the forum an insight that only came to me after a few days of driving around Dubai – use U-turns to get to the other side of the road.

I know it sounds barmy, but coming from the UK, I was used to coming off a main road and then looping round to get back to the other side. This is certainly what needs to be done on highways, but for most dual carriageways in the UK you do this as well. U-turns on major roads are very rarely allowed.

Here, however, the road designs are such that U-turns are essential.

I was getting a bit frustrated knowing where I should be heading, but not finding a way of getting there! Now I know the reason why – I was in the wrong lane, staying in the slow lane looking for an exit, when I should have been in the fast lane looking for a place to do a U-turn.

I hadn’t read this tit-bit of info before, so thought I’d post it here especially for any drivers coming over from the UK. I guess that the US also use U-turns like here..?

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 28, 2006
Yes Shaf

the UAE is same as States, they are well into U turns, and roundabouts are as rare as rocking horse poo in the States.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 28, 2006
The States are into U-turns??? :shock:

Hmm.... Maybe not where I visited...

Canada hates U-turns... :(
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 28, 2006
i can only speak for New Hampshire, Mass and Florida Liban, may be diff in other states.
arniegang

Mar 28, 2006
You can't get anywhere in Vegas or Cali without U-turns either.

Toronto is also huge on U-turns but only when their illegal :shock:

Shaf, the best part of moving to a new placing is getting gratification from learning all the little nuances that make a place.

Congrats and enjoy.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Apr 01, 2006
Well, well what can one expect at first the U.A.E drove the correct way using only round abouts to change travel to the opposite direction on the road then for some unkown reason they have reverted to the yankee way of changing direction by using `U` turns in the center of the road now everbody knows americans are retards (every thing they do goes tits -up)
Mr & Mrs Inquirer
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 01, 2006
You are such a bigoted asshole Inquirer

:roll: :roll:
arniegang

Apr 01, 2006
Tut Tut just because one has a dislike of `U` turns which kill other people
or because Brits dislike Yanks :D
Mr & Mrs Inquirer
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 01, 2006
Because you are a bigot, dont try and be smart, you know exactly what i was refering too.
arniegang

Apr 01, 2006
NO !
Mr & Mrs Inquirer
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 01, 2006
Then, you are not only a bigot.........................

but a very stupid one

:lol: :lol:
arniegang

Apr 01, 2006
Ha-Ha crusty
Mr & Mrs Inquirer
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 01, 2006
Hey Inquirer, Speak for yourself not the rest of us, now leave Arnie alone and piss off before I princess slap you from here to tomorrow.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 01, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Hey Inquirer, Speak for yourself not the rest of us, now leave Arnie alone and piss off before I princess slap you from here to tomorrow.

hehehe good one Choco! Inquirer she is queen bee of this forum......get lost b4 she stings u....
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 01, 2006
Actually I think it would be more of a Van Damme Round House kick to the face. Followed by the Rock's peoples elbow and a Tombstone from the Undertaker.

Can ya smell lalalalalalalalalalala la la ala la what Choco's cookin' - mmmm it's sweat baby!

I'm gonna shine up my spiky heels turn em sideways and shove em up your ar** Inquirer.

Have a piece of Pootang Pie!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 01, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Hey Inquirer, Speak for yourself not the rest of us, now leave Arnie alone and piss off before I princess slap you from here to tomorrow.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

nice one chocs, i just read this laffed and nearly spat out my Mocha
arniegang

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto