Help Me Understand..

Topic locked
Help me understand.. Jul 21, 2011
..what kind of sociopolitical system Dubai runs on. I find this extremely confusing thus far...is it a monarchy? Fascist regime? Totalitarian? I know (or I think I know) that it's a free market capitalist economy, but what kind of governmental system does it implement?

Not much of a thread I guess, but google was no help with the subject.

cw71017
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Help me understand.. Jul 21, 2011
cw71017 wrote:..what kind of sociopolitical system Dubai runs on. I find this extremely confusing thus far...is it a monarchy? Fascist regime? Totalitarian? I know (or I think I know) that it's a free market capitalist economy, but what kind of governmental system does it implement?

It is not even a free market capitalist market, banks and investors have learnt this already when Dubai World failed to repay its debts. So far Dubai in general has not repaid its debst, they delayed the payment. There is no recourse of actions in case they dont pay, unless they have assets outside the UAE than can be seized.
Dubai is a totalitarian regime, because the ruler controls everything and everybody, the police, the judges and even the witnesses. The justice system is biased, there is no freedom of press, and you can be jailed for talking gainst the rulers and the country. There is no democracy, no popular votes.
It is not a monarchy, these goons come out tribes wandering the desert until oil started flowing under their sandals. UK, has a monarchy, not Dubai, they like to call themselves prince and all, but it is baseless.
The contry is not even 50 years old, where would a king come from?
I would not say fascist though, first the UAE has no army, most of police officers and military are foreigners, and there is no presence of military in the streets.

The best definition would be Dubai is totalitarian autocracy
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Help Me Understand.. Jul 21, 2011
you been to dubai, but still didn't know that the UAE is ruled by a sheikh and not by a king or a prince? a tribe leader is a sheikh as has been for hundreds of years.

first the UAE has no army, most of police officers and military are foreigners

so which one is it? we have no army or are the military officers foreigners? yes we do have an army, and no there aren't foreigners in the military as officers or soldiers. maybe a few from allied forces and mechanical experts on weaponry.

and there is no presence of military in the streets.

why the hell would there be?
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

general_A wrote: so which one is it? we have no army or are the military officers foreigners? yes we do have an army, and no there aren't foreigners in the military as officers or soldiers.

and there is no presence of military in the streets.

why the hell would there be?

In the srteets in case of protests, looks like you missed the ones in Egypt, syria, jordan, barhein, yemen. military all over killing protesters.
Let me rephrase:
The UAE has an army and police force, officially yes.
In reality, NOT, it is a mirage, because it is constitued of foreigners. As a former Officer, I guarantee you that if a country bases its defense on foreigners (unless it is the French Foreign Legion, but I am sure you will not dare compare your goons in uniform to this elite unit) you are up to a very bad wake up call one day

oh just for fun, i have a picture of the UAE airforce in training
Attachments
emiratipilots.jpg
emiratipilots.jpg (71.45 KiB) Viewed 1489 times
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

In the srteets in case of protests, looks like you missed the ones in Egypt, syria, jordan, barhein, yemen. military all over killing protesters.
Let me rephrase:
The UAE has an army and police force, officially yes.
In reality, NOT, it is a mirage, because it is constitued of foreigners. As a former Officer, I guarantee you that if a country bases its defense on foreigners (unless it is the French Foreign Legion, but I am sure you will not dare compare your goons in uniform to this elite unit) you are up to a very bad wake up call one day

oh just for fun, i have a picture of the UAE airforce in training

why would there even be protests here??? :? :?

so we have an army force officially, but not in reality? what does that even mean???

our army is not constituted of foreigners, why do i have to repeat my self ? see if you are not sure about something just be quiet about it and learn about it, it's for your own good man.

and you do know that this picture is a very old one the had the japanese flag on it or some other country, even a child would know that it was Photoshoped. so please try to grow up or at least act your age.
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

cw71017 wrote:..what kind of sociopolitical system Dubai runs on. I find this extremely confusing thus far...is it a monarchy? Fascist regime? Totalitarian? I know (or I think I know) that it's a free market capitalist economy, but what kind of governmental system does it implement?

It is a Constitutional Federation, with specified powers delegated to the UAE federal government and other powers reserved to the seven member emirates.
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

herve wrote:The best definition would be Dubai is totalitarian autocracy

Dillon wrote:It is a Constitutional Federation, with specified powers delegated to the UAE federal government and other powers reserved to the seven member emirates.

Ummm :?:

Hehe sorry for being a little ignorant on the subject, I don't know much about politics really but does this mean it's an autocratic constitutional federation?

why would there even be protests here???

I don't know, but I wish there was. I find it unfair that the majority of the people who live in the UAE have no say in what goes on, technically no one here has a right to start a revolution. And the ones who do are pretty satisfied with the current system since they're usually handed out free money. I'm not...like at all.

Unless I'm wrong though, and I usually am..Dubai really isn't the best place to live if you're looking for free speech and unbiased independent liberal media.
cw71017
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

I don't know, but I wish there was. I find it unfair that the majority of the people who live in the UAE have no say in what goes on, technically no one here has a right to start a revolution. And the ones who do are pretty satisfied with the current system since they're usually handed out free money. I'm not...like at all.

Unless I'm wrong though, and I usually am..Dubai really isn't the best place to live if you're looking for free speech and unbiased independent liberal media.

5 people tried to stir up trouble, thousands of UAE nationals even expats went against them, so there's your answer, nothing is going to happen, we are happy with what we have, and please don't come up here saying that you wish for a revolution to happen, it's our business and i would appreciate it if you would respect my view as a loyal UAE loving emiraty :)
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

general_A wrote:5 people tried to stir up trouble, thousands of UAE nationals even expats went against them, so there's your answer, nothing is going to happen, we are happy with what we have, and please don't come up here saying that you wish for a revolution to happen, it's our business and i would appreciate it if you would respect my view as a loyal UAE loving emiraty :)

Well that's your problem, you don't really care about what happens because the way that this system works empowers you to basically...whatever the f**k you want. Which isn't fair for people who are stuck here like I am. Although it's true that I have no right to complain since I came from an even shittier political system (but that will hopefully change soon, if Bashar had half the brains to just resign already). But still, I'm the one who has to contribute some form of money to the government (visas, rent, bills etc) and locals usually don't have to do that, they get things free, so I'm the one who they should be a little more tolerant with and maybe give a little benefits to...I mean c'mon! :p

Don't take this as me bashing your country, seriously I'm not trying to purposely be offensive (if I was, you'd know). I'm just showing you my view of things.

BTW I don't wish for a revolution to happen, that's horrible. But it seems as though people just don't want to listen to the lesser fortunate than they are.
cw71017
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

cw71017 wrote:
Dillon wrote:It is a Constitutional Federation, with specified powers delegated to the UAE federal government and other powers reserved to the seven member emirates.

Ummm :?:

Hehe sorry for being a little ignorant on the subject, I don't know much about politics really but does this mean it's an autocratic constitutional federation?

The Constitution, article 45, sets out in detail the Councils of Authority in the UAE, No individual has absolute power, Constitutional Federation, not autocratic.

In fact Article 1 defines it as the following;

Article 1
The United Arab Emirates is an independent, sovereign , federal state and is referred to hereafter in this Constitution as the Union. The Union shall consist of the following Emirates;

Abu Dhabi – Dubai – Sharjah – Ajman – Umm Al Quwain – Fujairah – Ras Al Khaimah

Any other independent Arab country may join the Union provided that the Supreme Council agrees unanimously to this.
Dillon

Dillon wrote:The Constitution, article 45, sets out in detail the Councils of Authority in the UAE, No individual has absolute power, Constitutional Federation, not autocratic.

In fact Article 1 defines it as the following;

Article 1
The United Arab Emirates is an independent, sovereign , federal state and is referred to hereafter in this Constitution as the Union. The Union shall consist of the following Emirates;

Abu Dhabi – Dubai – Sharjah – Ajman – Umm Al Quwain – Fujairah – Ras Al Khaimah

Any other independent Arab country may join the Union provided that the Supreme Council agrees unanimously to this.

Ohh alright. Thanks! :)
cw71017
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Well if you don't like it, you could always go home.
That's what I say to people in GB, nobody's forcing you to stick around!
Why shouldn't you have to pay for visas etc? It's only right that the locals get stuff for free, why shouldn't they?
I wish it's a system we could adopt in the UK, but we are too soft.
Big up the UAE.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Bethsmum wrote:Well if you don't like it, you could always go home.
That's what I say to people in GB, nobody's forcing you to stick around!
Why shouldn't you have to pay for visas etc? It's only right that the locals get stuff for free, why shouldn't they?
I wish it's a system we could adopt in the UK, but we are too soft.
Big up the UAE.

I would love to, but I can't. Yes, there is someone forcing me to stick around...well there's that and there's the fact that I can't go anywhere else, because of this place.

I'm sorry to say this, but have you gone out of your mind?! C'mon! The PM just promised to be more 'transparent' yesterday...that's a dream for me. I wish the media here would be unbiased and would actually let us know what's REALLY happening in the UAE.
cw71017
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

The UAE is what it is and isn't going to change for any foreigners, and why should it? You have to learn to live with what you have. The sooner you learn to go with the flow, the happier your life will be.

And no, I'm not mad, just a realist.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

cw71017 wrote:
general_A wrote:5 people tried to stir up trouble, thousands of UAE nationals even expats went against them, so there's your answer, nothing is going to happen, we are happy with what we have, and please don't come up here saying that you wish for a revolution to happen, it's our business and i would appreciate it if you would respect my view as a loyal UAE loving emiraty :)

Well that's your problem, you don't really care about what happens because the way that this system works empowers you to basically...whatever the f**k you want. Which isn't fair for people who are stuck here like I am. Although it's true that I have no right to complain since I came from an even shittier political system (but that will hopefully change soon, if Bashar had half the brains to just resign already). But still, I'm the one who has to contribute some form of money to the government (visas, rent, bills etc) and locals usually don't have to do that, they get things free, so I'm the one who they should be a little more tolerant with and maybe give a little benefits to...I mean c'mon! :p

Don't take this as me bashing your country, seriously I'm not trying to purposely be offensive (if I was, you'd know). I'm just showing you my view of things.

BTW I don't wish for a revolution to happen, that's horrible. But it seems as though people just don't want to listen to the lesser fortunate than they are.

listen man, I've had about enough of people like you saying that we get stuff for free, i pay for every damn thing that i have, and i work my @ss off to do so, how do you know that i'm not one of the less fortunate nationals here?
many like you came over here and made it big, the ones like you who happen to be less fortunate have no one to blame for it, why should the country offer you benefits? does your country offer you benefits? no, but i'm sure as hell that you get here what you cant get back in Syria.

But still, I'm the one who has to contribute some form of money to the government (visas, rent, bills etc)

find me a country were you as a foreigner don't have to pay for all that.

when i asked why would there even be protests here???
first you said
I don't know, but I wish there was.

and then you say
BTW I don't wish for a revolution to happen, that's horrible

what a hypocrite you are Mr.

the way that this system works empowers you to basically...whatever the f**k you want.

so he says

but you were honest enough to say that you come from a shitty political system, so until your "shitty" political systems are corrected back home, I'd appreciate it if you kept away from ours which WE aren't complaining about, and you are more than welcome to stay for as long as you and everybody else desires.
and this is not even an argument.

peace, i'm out
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

http://www.dubaiforums.com/post377591.html#p377591

So initially, you were an Egyptian 15 Year old Youth, who's Father had racked up debt he could no longer service thereby restricting your movements out of Dubai, and you were looking for avenues into London, to then work illegally while hoping to secure state benefits to support you.

Now you are a Syrian with Debt, blaming Dubai and the sociopolitical system here for your predicament?

Who are we actually talking to here?

:shock:
Dillon

There's a very big difference between a revolution and a peaceful protest. No, I don't wish for this country's military to get down on the street and start shooting people, but yes I do wish certain things would change here using peaceful protest.

What the hell did I get out of living here? Seeing my parents go bankrupt and in debt (because of an electrical fire) and seeing insurance not wanting to pay up. Oh and also being stuck here. If you think I'm here because I want to be, then think again. I'd rather be somewhere where I can still be in school, get a job (Hell at this point I'd take anything), still afford a place to live AND be able to speak freely. Getting beat up by a bunch of Muslims because I'm an atheist? Don't sound like the elegant Dubai that everyone talks about...

That is absolute BS and you know it. Even though YOU don't get free shit, doesn't mean that some locals can get whatever they want without contributing anything to society. I'm sorry to say this, but locals are a minority now and I've lived here respecting your theistic rules, maybe for ONCE I can get what I want

So EXCUSE ME for hating on this country...

And to Dillion, my mom is Syrian and my dad is Egyptian.
cw71017
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

I don't know why you and your mother didn't leave when the visas were expiring - don't you have any family back in Syria or Egypt who could have helped with the airfare in light of the bankruptcy? Of course, your poor dad would still be stuck dealing with the bankruptcy, but you and your mom would have more possibilities to help him from abroad. I'm sorry for your predicament :(
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Alright I needed to leave the house earlier so I couldn't address everyone, sorry.

Dillion, I blame both my father and the sociopolitical system here. Of course it was almost entirely my father's fault, but the fact that Dubai doesn't give two shits about whether or not I end up homeless kinda aids the problem don't you think? Also, I'm both an Egyptian and a Syrian, but seeing as how both countries have some messed up shit going on in them (and we haven't got a home in either) there's really no returning back to them, even if I wanted to. Btw I wasn't trying to move to the UK to work illegally :s What made you think that? I was trying to gain a legit work visa/student visa, and I thought that maybe the benefits (I thought they applied to all the residents of the UK, but at least there if I stayed for 3 years I'd get them) would help me out with education.

Kanelli, I'm not exactly sure why either. That was (I think) two years ago, and at the time I was a selfish little child who had no idea what was going on, I'm actually a little happy that this whole fiscal problem happened to me...it's humbling, and it makes you realize you're not the center of the f**king universe...but I'm growing a little bit tired of it xD Well I haven't got any family in Egypt (mostly deceased or abroad and lost communication with us) and my family in Syria is worse off than we are since they usually depend on our financial help, not to mention the awkwardness of staying with someone who you've lost touch with :p You know, family.
Thanks for your sympathy, but it's really no biggie. :) I'm just gonna raise some cash and move to whatever English speaking country that would take me (I've forgotten most of my Arabic).

Anyway how did this thread get derailed so much? :p I guess that's my fault haha
cw71017
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk