Will Another Country Ban The Burqa???

Topic locked
Will another country ban the burqa??? Jul 12, 2011
http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/crime ... r-1.837118

Excerpts from article:

Sharjah: A family were in for a shock recently when a woman attacked one of their male family members and tried to rob him in the elevator of their residential building.

"These types of incidents are waiting to happen and unless action is taken, this will keep happening and something worse might occur. We informed the real estate [company] and they asked us to be on watch," said Joseph.

The incident took place last on Saturday at a building in Butina at around 6.15am. Joseph's uncle, Joy E., 48, was on his way to work when a woman in a veil entered the elevator.

"She snatched a bag from my uncle and was trying to get hold of his wallet and watch. My uncle is strong and tried to resist her attacks, and when the elevator stopped on the first floor he ran out," Joseph pointed out. The watchman was not there when his uncle reached the ground floor.

"During the struggle, my uncle managed to lift the veil of the person and saw the face was indeed of a woman. We heard such incidents happening in other buildings as well," he said, although Joseph did not report the matter to police.

Now this I found funny. Since when did they stop taking the "word" of people.

"People can be malicious and we cannot open a case based only on their word. There should at least be witnesses or video footage from the CCTV," said the police official.

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Will another country ban the burqa??? Jul 12, 2011
LOL they'll only take the 'word' of locals it seems. Use of CCTV? Oh so I can think of at least three cases where the judges refused to view the CCTV, because it would have convicted the accused.

Typical double standards again.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:LOL they'll only take the 'word' of locals it seems. Use of CCTV? Oh so I can think of at least three cases where the judges refused to view the CCTV, because it would have convicted the accused.

Typical double standards again.

If only it were that simple Chocs. There happens to be more than just watching CCTV, for the Judge to convict someone in Court. There is also the issue of whether the footage is of good quality. Even if it is date stamped, it isn't always proof. It could be that the CCTV footage you refer to was of poor quality and could not be verified. Unless it is 100% any good defence lawyer could tear it to shreds.
Innocent till proven guilty.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Will Another Country Ban The Burqa??? Jul 12, 2011
I'm strongly against the Burqa, and I wish they ban it here in the UAE.
I dislike it when people manipulate religion with culture, it causes a lot of damage.
symmetric
BANNED

I always take another elevator when I see a burqa or niqaab going into one. Is it ok for a veiled or covered woman to be alone in a elevator with another strange man?
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Flying Dutchman wrote:I always take another elevator when I see a burqa or niqaab going into one. Is it ok for a veiled or covered woman to be alone in a elevator with another strange man?

Years ago (while in Abu Dhabi) Mr BB would never get on the elevator if there was a local woman or women in it. Going back, it seemed to be a "sport" to claim that they were harassed on the lift by a man. Seeing as how they didn't do much back then (including working) I guess they needed to fill their time doing stupid stuff. He also would get off the elevator if a local woman or women were getting on. :lol: Today, it seems like so long ago, but the women have come far since then. :D
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

No BM< the cases I am referring to, which you wouldn't know about, as you don't live here! The judge flat out refused to watch it or even have the footage admitted as evidence. Innocent until proven guilty - sorry it's the other way round here, you're guilty until proven innocent, but again you wouldn't know that as you don't live here!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Flying Dutchman wrote:I always take another elevator when I see a burqa or niqaab going into one. Is it ok for a veiled or covered woman to be alone in a elevator with another strange man?

I would never think of leaving the elevator for any women, be it wearing a burqa or naked. Thats non sense.
Once in my masters classroom, I arrived late and the class was almost full, except for 1 seat in the front, so I just sat there, and the girl next to me suddenly packed her stuff and changed her seat !! I felt so offended I raised a letter to the adminstration complaining of this very ugly attitude. These women with such attitude are the ones that really disgust me. And its totally due to cultural habbits by the way.
symmetric
BANNED

That I'll agree with, sometimes these ninjas think they own the space in a 50mtr radius and if you cross that, somehow you have raped them !!! The nasty looks, the attitude, if your so damn modest, stay the fark home !
desertdudeshj

Chocoholic wrote:No BM< the cases I am referring to, which you wouldn't know about, as you don't live here! The judge flat out refused to watch it or even have the footage admitted as evidence. Innocent until proven guilty - sorry it's the other way round here, you're guilty until proven innocent, but again you wouldn't know that as you don't live here!

Repeating yourself again Chocs!

I still can't decide whether you're just boring and therefore repeat yourself, or whether no-one takes you seriously in real life and therefore you need to keep on repeating yourself.

Have you never heard about reading the news on the internet? May be you should give yourself time off from expatwoman and DF and try reading Gulf News or the National. You can actually read the news in Dubai from far flung spots like the UK. Amazin!
Bethsmum

Women fight :D
DDS, you want your popcorn with cheese or caramel? :D
symmetric
BANNED

Mexico next although the bandits already have masks.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

desertdudeshj wrote:That I'll agree with, sometimes these ninjas think they own the space in a 50mtr radius and if you cross that, somehow you have raped them !!! The nasty looks, the attitude, if your so damn modest, stay the fark home !

How can you see the nasty looks if they are wearing a burqa?
Bethsmum

Good point BM lol
symmetric
BANNED

desertdudeshj

Good point DDS :D
symmetric