Letter From A Dog - Very Sad And Moving

Topic locked
Letter from a dog - very sad and moving Jun 14, 2011
Someone sent me this today. I wish all animal owners, or people considering becoming a pet owner would read it:

When I was a puppy, I entertained you with my antics and made you laugh. You called me your child, and despite a number of chewed shoes and a couple of murdered throw pillows, I became your best friend. ...

Whenever I was "bad," you'd shake your finger at me and ask "How could you?" -- but then you'd relent and roll me over for a belly rub.

My housebreaking took a little longer than expected, because you were terribly busy, but we worked on that together. I remember those nights of nuzzling you in bed and listening to your confidences and secret dreams, and I believed that life could not be any more perfect.

We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice cream (I only got the cone because "ice cream is bad for dogs" you said), and I took long naps in the sun waiting for you to come home at the end of the day.

Gradually, you began spending more time at work and on your career, and more time searching for a human mate. I waited for you patiently, comforted you through heartbreaks and disappointments, never chided you about bad decisions, and romped with glee at your homecomings, and when you fell in love.

She, now your wife, is not a "dog person" -- still I welcomed her into our home, tried to show her affection, and obeyed her. I was happy because you were happy.

Then the human babies came along and I shared your excitement. I was fascinated by their pinkness, how they smelled, and I wanted to mother them, too. Only she and you worried that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my time banished to another room, or to a dog crate. Oh, how I wanted to love them, but I became a prisoner of love."

As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur and pulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked fingers in my eyes, investigated my ears, and gave me kisses on my nose. I loved everything about them and their touch -- because your touch was now so infrequent -- and I would've defended them with my life if need be. I would sneak into their beds and listen to their worries and secret dreams, and together we waited for the sound of your car in the driveway.

There had been a time, when others asked you if you had a dog, that you produced a photo of me from your wallet and told them stories about me. These past few years, you just answered "yes" and changed the subject. I had gone from being "your dog" to "just a dog," and you resented every expenditure on my behalf.

Now, you have a new career opportunity in another city, and you and they will be moving to an apartment that does not allow pets. You've made the right decision for your "family," but there was a time when I was your only family.

I was excited about the car ride until we arrived at the animal shelter. It smelled of dogs and cats, of fear, of hopelessness. You filled out the paperwork and said "I know you will find a good home for her." They shrugged and gave you a pained look. They understand the realities facing a middle-aged dog, even one with "papers."

You had to pry your son's fingers loose from my collar as he screamed, "No, Daddy! Please don't let them take my dog!" And I worried for him, and what lessons you had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and responsibility, and about respect for all life.

You gave me a good-bye pat on the head, avoided my eyes, and politely refused to take my collar and leash with you. You had a deadline to meet and now I have one, too. After you left, the two nice ladies said you probably knew about your upcoming move months ago and made no attempt to find me another good home. They shook their heads and asked "How could you?"

They are as attentive to us here in the shelter as their busy schedules allow. They feed us, of course, but I lost my appetite days ago.

At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it was you that you had changed your mind -- that this was all a bad dream... or I hoped it would at least be someone who cared, anyone who might save me.

When I realized I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of happy puppies, oblivious to their own fate, I retreated to a far corner and waited. I heard her footsteps as she came for me at the end of the day, and I padded along the aisle after her to a separate room. A blissfully quiet room.

She placed me on the table and rubbed my ears, and told me not to worry. My heart pounded in anticipation of what was to come, but there was also a sense of relief. The prisoner of love had run out of days.

As is my nature, I was more concerned about her. The burden which she bears weighs heavily on her, and I know that, the same way I knew your every mood.

She gently placed a tourniquet around my foreleg as a tear ran down her cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I used to comfort you so many years ago.

She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein. As I felt the sting and the cool liquid coursing through my body, I lay down sleepily, looked into her kind eyes and murmured "How could you?"

Perhaps because she understood my dogspeak, she said "I'm so sorry." She hugged me, and hurriedly explained it was her job to make sure I went to a better place, where I wouldn't be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to fend for myself --a place of love and light so very different from this earthly place.

And with my last bit of energy, I tried to convey to her with a thump of my tail that my "How could you?" was not directed at her. It was directed at you, My Beloved Master, I was thinking of you. I will think of you and wait for you forever. May everyone in your life continue to show you so much loyalty.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Letter From A Dog - Very Sad And Moving Jun 14, 2011
For a minute there I thought that DD had hit a rough patch again.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

benwj wrote:For a minute there I thought that DD had hit a rough patch again.

I think he has, isn't he slumming it in JBR at the moment?
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Very sad indeed.

They (dogs) do become part of the family.

So may cruel people.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Bethsmum wrote:
benwj wrote:For a minute there I thought that DD had hit a rough patch again.

I think he has, isn't he slumming it in JBR at the moment?

Yeah, JBR, what a dive
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Letter from a dog ! FFS !
Whats next, an autobiobraphy of a mutt ? Its a dog's life ?
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:Letter from a dog ! FFS !
Whats next, an autobiobraphy of a mutt ? Its a dog's life ?

Graven image and all that I guess?

Angels (of Mercy) do not enter a house wherein there is a dog or a picture of a living creature (a human being or an animal)."
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Screw angels ! With that twitchy face of yours even the devil dare not enter my premises !
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:Screw angels ! With that twitchy face of yours even the devil dare not enter my premises !

Yes, and with your lovely hat same goes for me brother.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Such a good message Chocs! I wish people would consider the pets as part of their family and always take them with for every move... or at least try to re-home them with a new family who will see them through the rest of their lives.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Letter from a dog - very sad and moving Jun 14, 2011
Thanks K, and yes there is a point to this post, which the usual crew have chosen to ignore or just missed in their ignorance.

We're at that time of year when many people leave, do runners etc and the poor animals are the ones that suffer. So many dogs are put down every week, because of heartless, careless owners.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Agree Chocs, a few of topic statements.

It is that time of year and personnaly have talked with expats who are finding it difficult to afford the kennel boarding fee for a few weeks. As they put it "the price of an airfare".

Alternatives are to use someones maid who has not got the foggiest or interest on how to take care of the animal.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

There are plenty of people around who are looking for pet sitting shares i.e. you look after theirs when they're away, and they'll look after yours. But again, people have to realise that kennels/pet sitters cost money. The animals don't just magically look after themselves and the kennels will 99.9999999% be all booked up already.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oh my gosh, that's so sad :(

As bad as this may sound, that's one reason I probably won't be getting a pet as much as I want to. As much as I love those adorable little doggies and cats, I can't bring myself to having to leave them behind or even outside my place in this heat.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Is it just me?
Bethsmum

bushra21 wrote:Oh my gosh, that's so sad :(

As bad as this may sound, that's one reason I probably won't be getting a pet as much as I want to. As much as I love those adorable little doggies and cats, I can't bring myself to having to leave them behind or even outside my place in this heat.

And you'd be surprised at how animals suffer from heat stroke in this weather.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

drewpeacock wrote:Agree Chocs, a few of topic statements.

It is that time of year and personnaly have talked with expats who are finding it difficult to afford the kennel boarding fee for a few weeks. As they put it "the price of an airfare".

Alternatives are to use someones maid who has not got the foggiest or interest on how to take care of the animal.

Drew, people need to factor in the additional costs of having a pet. It would be wise to put a certain amount of money aside every month for when the time comes for such things as boarding or transporting them back home. It's just plain selfish to discard an animal because it has become an unnecessary "added" expense or a burden.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Letter from a dog - very sad and moving Jun 15, 2011
Sorry Chocs! I know you think I write some shite but that has to be the biggest load of pap I've ever read. :(

I can't believe someone has sat down and spent good time writing as if they were a bloody dog. Jesus Christ, what next?

Don't get the impression I'm not an animal lover, because I am, but at the end of the day, they are animals.

Somehow I can't find a letter from a dog neither sad nor moving. Rather I think the author needs her head looking at.

I've had a serious word with Beth tonight. I told her if Chocs's bloody dog can write that well, there is no excuse for you not getting an A in your English GCSE.
Bethsmum

Re: Letter From A Dog - Very Sad And Moving Jun 15, 2011
The stars must be out of alignment or maybe its got to do something with the up comming lunar eclispe later in the evening but I actually totally agree with BM on this !!!
desertdudeshj

I treat my 3 grey african parrots as my children :)
symmetric
BANNED

Look, if my house is on fire and I have to choose between grabbing my kids and grabbing my cats, the kids win for sure. However, I would never say "Hmmm, it will cost x amount of money to fly the cats with us. Don't want to spend that." If the moving budget includes airline tickets for our family it certainly can include cargo fare for the cats. If some obstacle to bringing the cats came that we could not overcome, I'd find a home for my cats, not just abandon them and say, "Oh well, they are just animals."
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Dogs dont write letters for the simple reason that they are not human. They are animals.
I sometimes wonder what kind of stresses pets must go through as we, humans and their keepers, force upon them our human values and try and force them to become as much like us as possible.
It cant be a very pleasant feeling from a pets perspective.
zonker
BANNED

desertdudeshj wrote:The stars must be out of alignment or maybe its got to do something with the up comming lunar eclispe later in the evening but I actually totally agree with BM on this !!!

Well I never! This is indeed a monumental moment on DF! Thank you DDS, my day is made :D
Bethsmum

I see so many people wanting animals as an accessory and they don't stop and think of the long term commitment to them.

It's no pleasant experience having to have an animal put down. It still reduces me to tears now, when I had to have my beloved dog put to sleep, as she'd been suffering from and untreatable cancer and although she was still in her right mind, playful, totally all still there, she had a festering, bloody tumour in her jaw that we just couldn't do anything about.

I can tell you, to sit there and look into the eyes of an animal that you consider as part of your family, that you've had since they were 6 weeks old, to comfort them as they slip away is the worse, most heart wrenching thing in the world. Especially as they had to use 3 injections, not just one as she was so strong, she was fighting with every fiber of her being.

I miss that little dog with all my heart :(

So please those of you that think it's funny and make jokes, just stop and think. if it gets one person to think about their actions, then I don't care - job done.

I now have to go and get a box of tissues as I'm in floods of tears.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Get a grip Chocs. God help you if you have anything major happen.
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:Get a grip Chocs. God help you if you have anything major happen.

That's a bit harsh, don't you think? Surely you can't possibly believe that just because you don't see what Chocs experienced as difficult or, as you put it, major that she cannot either. If she loved her dog as much as she says she did - which I can absolutely say she did - I don't see why her being upset about it would warrant that kind of a remark from you.

As Kanelli said, some people view their pets as a a part of their family - would you not be just as upset if something had happened to a member of your family?

Just because her dog was an animal and not a human being doesn't mean that she was incapable of loving her just as much as anyone else would love another person.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

I know how bad it feels to lose a pet. I lost two grey african parrots in the past (due to viral diseases), I took them to the vet. several times, and spent a lot of money as wel. One of them broke his leg as well as he was playing. I X-rayed him twice and it was way much expensive than a human X-ray.
symmetric
BANNED

bushra21 wrote:
Bethsmum wrote:Get a grip Chocs. God help you if you have anything major happen.

That's a bit harsh, don't you think? Surely you can't possibly believe that just because you don't see what Chocs experienced as difficult or, as you put it, major that she cannot either. If she loved her dog as much as she says she did - which I can absolutely say she did - I don't see why her being upset about it would warrant that kind of a remark from you.

As Kanelli said, some people view their pets as a a part of their family -Just because her dog was an animal and not a human being doesn't mean that she was incapable of loving her just as much as anyone else would love another person.

Keep your hair on, luv. No, I don't think it's harsh.

would you not be just as upset if something had happened to a member of your family

Things have happened to immediate members of my family, for your information. One of my daughters had a life threatening illness which was extremely upsetting, but she was a human and not an animal.
My mother died after a very long illness. It was a merciful release for her and I've never cried over that.

Why would you cry over putting a dog to sleep which had cancer? Would you rather see it suffer so you weren't upset?

I don't believe you can love an animal as much as a member of your family. What a complete load of BS. People who say that can never have given birth to a child.

Get in the real world please.
Bethsmum

Symmetric, it is about a sick pet - the animal doesn't care about the cost, it is feeling sick and in pain. That is what I sympathize with, not focusing on the hit to my wallet.

Chocs, I hear you. My one cat was in such bad shape, cancer as well, and so my parents called me home from university to spend the weekend before we had to take the cat in to be put to sleep. I brushed him for a long time, and chose to sleep on the couch by the fireplace because he liked the warmth. He slept on my chest. We took him to the vet the next day and I broke down so bad that my step-dad had to push me out of the room to wait in the waiting area while the euthanasia was being administered. We drove home and I had him in the box on my lap and I pet him all the way... then we buried him in the woods next to a few other beloved dogs and cats that have passed through the years. I'm wiping tears here too, and have a huge lump in my throat... It is so emotional even after all these years. Every time I have received a call about my dogs passing, I am upset for days. It was exactly the same feeling as losing my grandparents, so pets really do feel like family.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:Symmetric, it is about a sick pet - the animal doesn't care about the cost, it is feeling sick and in pain. That is what I sympathize with, not focusing on the hit to my wallet.

Thats the point Kanelli, perhaps the way I put my words weren't clear.
The moment I saw my parrots ill, I instantly took them to the best vet. and the high cost didn't stop me from providing them with treatment. I feel for my pets, they got feelings as well. Specially parrots, its so interesting how you can easily observe love, anger, fear, pain, etc. from them. Its so noticeable.
Sage would know better I'm sure as he owns a grey african parrot ;)
symmetric
BANNED

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat