Don't Be A Good Samaritan In Dubai

Topic locked
Don't be a good samaritan in Dubai Jun 14, 2011
Another case of guilty until proven innocent. So sad. So basically the law is forcing people to become selfish, uncaring individuals without a care in the world for anyone else - what a tragedy.

http://www.7days.ae/article/news/nation ... iled-theft

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Don't Be A Good Samaritan In Dubai Jun 14, 2011
The 'strong evidence' refered to in the story was probably a piece of paper signed in Arabic.

Maybe she really did steal the watch, but it doesn't matter. If you are accused of a crime in this country, it really doesn't matter if you did it or not.
blueshift
Dubai forums Addict

blueshift wrote:The 'strong evidence' refered to in the story was probably a piece of paper signed in Arabic.

Maybe she really did steal the watch, but it doesn't matter. If you are accused of a crime in this country, it really doesn't matter if you did it or not.

Yes, chances are she did intend stealing it... but could easily plead innocent in other countries due to lack of evidence and based on her cover story.
But it really doesn't matter does it.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

If I "found" something in a bin I would turn it over to the security who is standing there monitoring people. She should have done that and then looked for the person who left it and told them the watch was with security. Besides, those bins are checked before being 'recycled". She probably lifted it from the bin when it came out the other side.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Don't be a good samaritan in Dubai Jun 14, 2011
she should've called the guy who left his watch, or atleast tell the officer behind the screen that the watch belonged to her friend and she is going to tell him to pick it up, but what if she actualy did try to steal it?
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

The problem is we don't actually know whether she intended to return the watch or not. So for the sake of good PR it would seem to me that the correct course of action would be to return the watch to its rightful owner and release this lady. Otherwise it will only add to the increasing number of people becoming frightened of doing genuine good deeds and will make for a poorer world for everyone. Just give her the benefit of the doubt as no harm was done, but by making a huge deal of it and punishing her for something you cannot be sure of will undoubtedly do alot of harm. Makes perfect sense to me!!!!! That is probably why they will lock her up and add to the great PR message coming from Dubai!!
patience
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Chocoholic wrote:Another case of guilty until proven innocent. So sad. So basically the law is forcing people to become selfish, uncaring individuals without a care in the world for anyone else - what a tragedy.

http://www.7days.ae/article/news/nation ... iled-theft

We have a lot of ridiculous and unreasonable laws here that only applys on non-wasta card holders.

There are some spoiled rich girls here who enjoy shoplifting for fun, and whenever they're caught, they're easily released just because of their connections with Mr. or Mrs. X.
symmetric
BANNED

Well I don't know why she didn't just leave it with security, catch up with the other passenger and tell him to go back for it.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Maybe she thought they might steal it!!!
patience
Dubai Forums Frequenter

She "found" the watch and then was going to "look" for the man who forgot it - in a terminal filled with 100s of people?? How far could that man have walked from security that she couldn't call out to him or point him out to security? How many people really look at the person in front of them or the person behind them when going through security??

Her story stinks.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote: How many people really look at the person in front of them or the person behind them when going through security??

I do. All the time.

Mainly in case someone nicks my stuff! It always tend to spew out of the scanner before i have made it through and done the pat down (which happens 9 times out of 10, normally casued by a watch or belt if they don't make you remove them).

Interesting case, though - i certainly wont be touching anything of anyone else if this is where it can lead.
BlueOrb
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Don't Be A Good Samaritan In Dubai Jun 15, 2011
Reminds me of the series banged up abroad !

Oh we only tried to smuggle in 10 tons of heroin, oh we were young, only 35 and had no idea what kind of trouble we would get into to. How shitty of those guys to lock us up, we were naive and just trying to make a quick buck !

:roll:
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

desertdudeshj wrote:Reminds me of the series banged up abroad !

Oh we only tried to smuggle in 10 tons of heroin, oh we were young, only 35 and had no idea what kind of trouble we would get into to. How shitty of those guys to lock us up, we were naive and just trying to make a quick buck !

It was just too tempting...........

to reach in and take that watch and give it to my boyfriend/husband and tell him: I picked something up for you in Dubai. :lol: :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

If there could be any chance that she had good intentions, then I give her credit for it.
Perhaps the security guys didn't give her enough space to see what she would've done.
symmetric
BANNED

desertdudeshj wrote:Reminds me of the series banged up abroad !

Was that the British version of Banged Up Abroad or the Pakistani version?
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Don't be a good samaritan in Dubai Jun 15, 2011
thief or not, she did it the wrong way in the wrong place
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat