Your Vocation.

Topic locked
Your Vocation. Jun 12, 2011
Prompted by another post on another topic, it got me thinking. :idea:

What was my true vocation in life?

I don't know, but I always wanted to join the Navy (well the WRENS) when I was a kid. I never did as I got married instead.
When I was at school my parents were told I could represent England at certain sports if I put my mind to it but I could never be bothered. I only do watching.

I think I was put on this earth to be a wind up merchant. I certainly enjoy that. :D

What about you? Did you miss your true vocation or have you made it?

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Your Vocation. Jun 12, 2011
At first I started at the engineering college, and I never imagined myself to be an engineer, but I thought it'll make my parents happy. Two years later, I woke up in a midweek morning, and decided I want to be an environmentalist! What actually braught it up is my passion to nature. However, on the same day I went to the college registrar and changed my major immediately.

I am an environmentalist today, and thats what I wanted ;)
symmetric
BANNED

I cant say that I have missed my true vocation, as I have thoroughly enjoyed myself in my current one.
But an alternative vocation that could have been fun would have been : Film Director!
Whenever I watched a good movie, I always thought it could have been done better.
Unfortunately, the culture and times I was growing up in did not permit this. Anything to do with the arts such as singing or film making was frowned upon, and my parents would have been devastated had I announced my plans to them that I planned to go into films.
One of my favourite Directors is Steven Speilberg; and one of his good movies was "Saving Private Ryan". A good example, in my opinion, of how films should be done. 8)
So, to Speilberg's good fortune that was one banana boat that I missed! :lol:
zonker
BANNED

I think that destiny wanted me to be a Gynocolagist (yes i know its spelt wrong), but ended up being an Engineer, which sucks, and being married for 25 years has drasticaly curtailed any further desires to study my chosen dream vocation :cry:
busa
Dubai forums Addict

When I was a kid I wanted to be an engineer like my father. So I studied engineering, then I realized I want to know more about business and continued my education in business. And now I'm working in the same field. I enjoy it and I think there is a lot more to learn and experience there. But what I really want to do is being a professional dancer or professional sportsperson. I don some sports and dance, but I don’t have enough time to be a professional. I really envy them when I see the performances on TV.
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

I had one amazing teacher in elementary school and she inspired me to think about becoming a teacher. Then I got into "hair". Really wanted to be a hair stylist until my mother asked me: do you really want to put your hands in people's dirty hair and work standing on your feet all day? Kinda put me off.

Got married at a young age, had a baby after the first year, divorced a few years later. Had a choice to either go on the dole or go to work. Saw the benefit in working and fortunately had parents who were there for my daughter. So floated around doing secretarial work as I had good skills. Along the way I worked for a lawyer in a corporation and he kept telling me I should go to uni to become a lawyer (I guess being a "shark" was a skill?). I went on to discover the "law firm" - money, money, money. When I left to come to Dubai I was making a base salary of $75,000 and with overtime, made a 6 figure salary - not bad for a legal secretary!!! I learned that I did have the skills to become a lawyer, but I also saw how you had to give up your life to be one, which I was not prepared to do.

Now I'm a domestic engineer/goddess!!! :lol: :lol: and I have to say, it pays quite well!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

I always wanted to be a vet. I even did my work experience with the local vets, unfortunately I don't have a head for the sciences :(

I also wanted to be a pilot, but again rubbish at maths :(

So I 'fell' into the entertainment industry, which is really all about who you know, not what you know. I've tried to break out and do different things on several occasions, but it keeps dragging me back, so I guess that's what I'm destined to do.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

In the last few years i have developed an interest in Photography, and really think that if i could make a decent living as a photgrapher then i would drop what i do now in an instant. Since coming here i have taken hundreds of poictures of sand dunes, most recently down south at the edge of the Rub al Khali, and now have an ever increasing portfolio of black and white dunes - or rather parts of dunes, as that's more interesting. Hav pout them up in an online portfolio, pending taking any futher steps, but it's something i am considering.
BlueOrb
Dubai forums Addict

BlueOrb wrote:In the last few years i have developed an interest in Photography, and really think that if i could make a decent living as a photgrapher then i would drop what i do now in an instant. Since coming here i have taken hundreds of poictures of sand dunes, most recently down south at the edge of the Rub al Khali, and now have an ever increasing portfolio of black and white dunes - or rather parts of dunes, as that's more interesting. Hav pout them up in an online portfolio, pending taking any futher steps, but it's something i am considering.

Why not share a few of them with us?
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Because i don't know how to embed them!!!!
BlueOrb
Dubai forums Addict

It's quite easy, but it'll be a pain in the backside making the images small enough to embed.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

BlueOrb wrote:Because i don't know how to embed them!!!!

OK!!!! Don't yell at me!!!! :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

wanted to be batman ended up as being rudeboy :(
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

rudeboy wrote:wanted to be batman ended up as being rudeboy :(

You have to go through the Robin position first and for that you have to meet the minimum age requirement.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

drewpeacock wrote:

You have to go through the Robin position first and for that you have to meet the minimum age requirement.

As well as a written IQ test. I hope you enjoy being Rudeboy. :lol: :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

drewpeacock wrote:

luckly i didnt have to go through that. Instead I was looking for robin to fill up that requirement. unfortunately he didnt turn up so had to give up the whole batman idea!

-- Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:43 pm --

Bora Bora wrote:
drewpeacock wrote:

As well as a written IQ test. I hope you enjoy being Rudeboy. :lol: :lol:

as per the iq test i could have been the next superman aswell but i had to wear them tight leggings which certainly would have been unpleasant for my precious queen victoria jewels down under! but yes i love being who i am!
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

I like Bali.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

theres a nice restaurant called Jalan Raya Sanggingan in Bali, hope you check it out next time. Its like MIND BLOWINGLY AWSOME! nah!!
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

BlueOrb wrote:Because i don't know how to embed them!!!!

Erm, I'm the least technical person around, what do you mean by embed them? Why don't you just upload them as attachments? I've uploaded stuff from photos saved on my PC. Dead easy!

Show us some of your photos!

-- Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:16 pm --

drewpeacock wrote:I like Bali.

Very nice Drew, but it's vocation not vacation :D You should have gone to Specsavers

Bethsmum

Damn Bi fukuls
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

drewpeacock wrote:Damn Bi fukuls

Oh Drew, you do make me smile :D
Bethsmum

What we should all be here to do. :D
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

[quote="Bethsmum] Show us some of your photos!

-- Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:16 pm --

[/quote]

Still can't work it out....they are at http://www.duneart.zenfolio.com

It's a work in progress, and some photos have really annoying marks as i later found out my sensor needed cleaning, so got some work to do there.

Enjoy....or not, as the case may be! :D
BlueOrb
Dubai forums Addict

I love how the wind can shape the dunes.

I came across this recently!

My sensor also needed cleaning afterwards.

drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Re: Your Vocation. Jun 13, 2011
drewpeacock wrote:I love how the wind can shape the dunes.

That's a hell of a sand castle Drew!
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:
drewpeacock wrote:I love how the wind can shape the dunes.

That's a hell of a sand castle Drew!

Guess where I hid my wallet that day on the beach?
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

BlueOrb wrote:It's a work in progress, and some photos have really annoying marks as i later found out my sensor needed cleaning, so got some work to do there.

Enjoy....or not, as the case may be! :D

I thought they were very good! You definately have a talent. I would like one of your black and whites on my wall in JBR. Have you reproduced any on canvas?

-- Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:47 am --

drewpeacock wrote:Guess where I hid my wallet that day on the beach?

Is that your wallet or are you just pleased to see me?
Bethsmum

Great for parking the hired bike also.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Bethsmum wrote: Have you reproduced any on canvas?

Not yet, but it's planned sometiem soon.

I have four in my living room mounted and framed (A4), and managed to break the glass in another so need to get another frame.

And thanks for your comment! The answer is yes - as soon as i find the cheapest possible way to do it! It wold be easy in the UK, but not so easy here, with Trade Licence, etc. I can sell via that site, but i need to set it up properly, and if no one knows it's there, it wont sell very much.

But if you ever fancy a set of coasters with B+W sand dunes on, you now know where to go! :D
BlueOrb
Dubai forums Addict

BlueOrb wrote:But if you ever fancy a set of coasters with B+W sand dunes on, you now know where to go! :D

My friend's a bit of a photographer, she was speaking to someone in Ibn Battuta about doing a 50/50 deal.
I definately would be interested in having one or more of your pictures, whether on canvas or framed.
Let me know if you decide to sell them.
Bethsmum

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat