An Observation!

Topic locked
An Observation! Jun 01, 2011
Waking up to a beautiful sunny day in Dubai, I decided to take myself out for a walk around the marina this morning.
Anyone who knows the area around JBR and the marina will know there are quite a few zebra crossings, not all controlled by traffic lights.
Now I'm not familiar with the laws regarding pedestrians etc here but I was under the impression that cars gave way on zebra crossings. I wouldn't take my life in my hands and step out in front of a car in the UK, never mind over here, so I waited for the traffic to pass before crossing.

In every case where someone stopped to let me cross, he was a local!

How very polite!

Anyone else got any observations?

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: An Observation! Jun 01, 2011
Usually cars never stop at zebra crossings here. I always do, but it always worries me what the person in the next lane in going to do. A young lad was knocked down two weeks a go near me because of this.

BM, they more than likely stopped because you're a white woman and they wanted to oggle you! If you had been filipino or another nationality, it most certainly wouldn't have been the case.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

I believe yellow "zebra" marking require cars to yield to pedestrians whereas white "zebra" stripes merely indicate the walkway/path...
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Ambassador wrote:I believe yellow "zebra" marking require cars to yield to pedestrians whereas white "zebra" stripes merely indicate the walkway/path...

There are no 'yellow' zebra crossings! All Zebra crossing are thick white lines. It clearly states in the RTA light motor vehicle handbook, which I have here 'Motorists MUST STOP and giveway to pedestrians'.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Where I work, the numb heads on motor bikes like to travel on the pavement.

It must be safer for them.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

drewpeacock wrote:Where I work, the numb heads on motor bikes like to travel on the pavement.

It must be safer for them.

LOL too right it's probably safer. Although I shan't be doing the same once I start riding.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Seems to me the expat drivers are getting worse. They used to be the people you'd expect to stop at crossings (not tailgate or swerve across three lanes to an exit etc.) maybe that's allowing local politeness to shine through.
Mosh
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mosh wrote:Seems to me the expat drivers are getting worse. They used to be the people you'd expect to stop at crossings (not tailgate or swerve across three lanes to an exit etc.) maybe that's allowing local politeness to shine through.

I think you're right! The Europeans all sailed past me talking on their mobiles.
Bethsmum

Mosh wrote:Seems to me the expat drivers are getting worse. They used to be the people you'd expect to stop at crossings (not tailgate or swerve across three lanes to an exit etc.) maybe that's allowing local politeness to shine through.

Without a doubt driving is getting worse across the board, all nationalities are pretty much as bad as each other. where I live there is an accident virtually every day due to people speeding in the residential area. Mind you the RTA is to blame for pretty much putting a highway straight through the place, so people use it as a race track.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

What ? you mean those white stripes at a traffic light doesnt mean "Speed up now" ???
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

zubber wrote:What ? you mean those white stripes at a traffic light doesnt mean "Speed up now" ???

LOL! It's the idiots that go into the yellow box at junctions and completely block the flow of traffic that crack me up. Yet, if you do as you're supposed to and wait until the exit is clear, you get a barrage of abuse :roll:
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

from that observation it seems that you are a fit girl/lady/woman! 8)
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Chocoholic wrote:
Ambassador wrote:I believe yellow "zebra" marking require cars to yield to pedestrians whereas white "zebra" stripes merely indicate the walkway/path...

There are no 'yellow' zebra crossings! All Zebra crossing are thick white lines. It clearly states in the RTA light motor vehicle handbook, which I have here 'Motorists MUST STOP and giveway to pedestrians'.

Call them Giraffe stripes then! Certainly yellow!
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Ambassador wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:

Call them Giraffe stripes then! Certainly yellow!

Honestly never seen yellow stripes for a pedestrian crossing. Looking at the book here, nothing in it either. Are you sur you're not colour blind? lol
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Another observation, I think i must be in an observant mood today!

What is so attractive in a man's toilet that all lifeguards sit in them?
Well, they do at JBR pools.
Bethsmum

I reckon there should be full time lollipop men and women for pedestrian crossings. We have the guys waving red flags at the moment during school time.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:I reckon there should be full time lollipop men and women for pedestrian crossings. We have the guys waving red flags at the moment during school time.

They've all been paid off in the UK. No money to pay them. The Council's figure it's the parents responsibility to make sure the kids arrive in one piece.
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:I reckon there should be full time lollipop men and women for pedestrian crossings. We have the guys waving red flags at the moment during school time.

They've all been paid off in the UK. No money to pay them. The Council's figure it's the parents responsibility to make sure the kids arrive in one piece.

Seriously? Ah that's no good :(

It's always something that's annoyed me here though, that people don't stop or even slow down. This poor lad that was knocked down - and the driver didn't even bother to get out of his car!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Usually cars never stop at zebra crossings here. I always do, but it always worries me what the person in the next lane in going to do. A young lad was knocked down two weeks a go near me because of this.

for that reason I only stop when I am sure there is no cars behind me, otherwise, I will get hit or the person passing will ...
an observation in the road between JBR & Marina, this road has been under constructions for long long time any idea why is that, it bothers me a lot actually..
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Went out for dinner and took notice of the zebra crossings. There are yellow arrows leading up to the hump with white stripes on the path. So............they are yellow and white.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: An Observation! Jun 02, 2011
Bora Bora wrote:Went out for dinner and took notice of the zebra crossings. There are yellow arrows leading up to the hump with white stripes on the path. So............they are yellow and white.

So you learned something yesterday Bora! Amazin!

So far this morning I've observed that there are some bloody miserable people in Dubai!
I was out early to meet a friend for coffee at 8am. I walked past a woman, who was sitting with a child in the buggy, She looked at me and I smiled and said morning. Her face never moved a muscle.
Bethsmum

Many she was just miserable having to push her baby in the pram and watching all the "nannies" go by? Or..........botox overdose? :shock:

-- Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:45 am --

Many she was just miserable having to push her baby in the pram and watching all the "nannies" go by? Or..........botox overdose? :shock:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:Many she was just miserable having to push her baby in the pram and watching all the "nannies" go by? Or..........botox overdose? :shock:

-- Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:45 am --

Symptoms of Alzeimers there bora with the duplicate post.

-- Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:13 pm --

Symptoms of Alzeimers there Bora with the duplicate post.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

I think more like tourettes Drew.

I think more like tourettes Drew.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: An Observation! Jun 03, 2011
Another observation!

I was in a bar last night and there was a largish group of people enjoying themselves standing around chatting.
The only voices I could hear were Australian.

The Aussies are LOUD!!
Bethsmum

Re: An Observation! Jun 04, 2011
Bethsmum wrote:Another observation!

I was in a bar last night and there was a largish group of people enjoying themselves standing around chatting.
The only voices I could hear were Australian.

The Aussies are LOUD!!

Don't worry BM, if we meet and you greet me, I promise to return your greeting :D
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat