How Do You Sing Without An Accent?

Topic locked
How Do You Sing Without An Accent? May 16, 2011
Well this weekend has been the BBC's Radio 1 Big Weekend! This year it came to sunny Carlisle in Cumbria, but it wasn't very sunny. It has rained pissistently today and the temperature reached 11c. No matter! The population, or the chosen few, were invited to Europes biggest free pop festival this weekend.

Beth has been lucky enough to get tickets to Sundays extravaganza. I logged onto the BBC website about 9 times with different usernames and email addresses but Beth's cousin in Newcaste, who was instructed to register, came up with the goods and tickets as rare as rocking horse sh.it came Beth's way!
She was up at 7.30 sharp to get ready for the event and 1 and a half hours later she was ready. God love teenagers! The weather forecast was foul. Beth was dressed in a little flowery dress type thing with a cropped denim jacket, over a pair of black leggins and a trendy pair of Jules wellies. I congratulated her on her footwear! The hair was curled and cemented into place with mega amounts of Wella hairspray (coz she's worth it).

The headline act today was the freak aka Lady GaGa. She was due on at 9pm. I tuned into BBC3 TV but she was late and didn't come on till 9.30pm. Everyone else had run over. She came out of a coffin dressed in black rubber with a huge bump, singing 'Born This way'. Weird. I hoped my poor Beth hadn't been traumatised by the event. Lady G lost the bump and went on to do her thing. Sh was actually very very good and I am now a fan. I'm still undecided whether she is a woman or a man or she isn't sure. I think she may be Jewish.
At one point she said that there had been a note on her dressing room mirror to say 'Radio 1 requests you don't swear' but as she was from NYC she would find that impossible. A wave here to BM's mate from NYC!!!!

I was listening to interviews earlier in the day with the artists and groups performing.

Ferne was interviewing The Script. Now I really like the Script. I love their music but hadn't really paid them that much attention only to note that they were fit. I was totally surprised to find that they were Irish and from Dublin! What lovely accents they had. Mmmmm.

Now back to the point of this post.

Who would have thought The Script were Irish?

What's the difference between a dialect and an accent? And how do people with an accent sing without one :drunken:

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: How Do You Sing Without An Accent? May 16, 2011
Geez BM, couldn't you have just asked the question without all the guff that went with it!

People generally sing with what is generally termed as a 'mid-atlantic' accent, all sounding slightly american. I do however, love those artists that stick to their roots and sing with their own accent.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

I know I've posted details of Jake Thackray before today, but just incase you all forgot, here he is again in good form and this time with a pc warning before he sings 'On Again'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmSezwugtd8&feature=related

Keep up with all the Guff BM I love it!

:lol: :lol:
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Chocoholic wrote:Geez BM, couldn't you have just asked the question without all the guff that went with it!

People generally sing with what is generally termed as a 'mid-atlantic' accent, all sounding slightly american. I do however, love those artists that stick to their roots and sing with their own accent.

Chocs, every one to their own! Why do you have a problem accepting that? I like a bit of a story with people's posts, short sharp bursts are ok but whats the harm with a bit of guff now and then?
Bethsmum

I know how to hum with an accent. :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:I know how to hum with an accent. :lol:

LOL impressive - and what accent would that be?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Depends on the mood. :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

The taxi driver who brought me home last night hummed...

Like a badgers bum!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Hey BM, I surely dont know how they sing without an accent. BTW our factory manager is Irish and his accent is exciting! :wink:

Loved the part about Beth and her clothes, very cute!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Re: How Do You Sing Without An Accent? May 17, 2011
Dillon wrote:I know I've posted details of Jake Thackray before today, but just incase you all forgot, here he is again in good form and this time with a pc warning before he sings 'On Again'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmSezwugtd8&feature=related

Keep up with all the Guff BM I love it!

:lol: :lol:

That's a good old Leeds accent he's got going on there Dillon. Speaking on behalf of half the population of Yorkshire I reckon. :lol:

-- Tue May 17, 2011 1:24 am --

melika969 wrote:Hey BM, I surely dont know how they sing without an accent. BTW our factory manager is Irish and his accent is exciting! :wink:

Loved the part about Beth and her clothes, very cute!

Is he Northern or Southern Irish Mel? The Southern accent is very nice, I'm not so keen on the Northern twang.
Every other word is the F word, that's if you can understand it.

Beth made it home in one piece at 1.30am. She hadn't felt the cold at all. I don't think you do at age 15 and a half.
Bethsmum

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat