Remembering.......

Topic locked
Remembering....... May 11, 2011
Bob Marley. Died 30 years ago but his music still goes on.

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Remembering....... May 11, 2011
Awsome, never gets old, the man was a genius.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

awesome....
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Rubbish. Overrated. Wouldn't be half as famous if he hadn't have died.

Only my opinion........ :-)
BlueOrb
Dubai forums Addict

Marley had a few good tunes, which even rock today.

Blue I would say that statement rings true for Hendrix.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

BlueOrb wrote:Rubbish. Overrated. Wouldn't be half as famous if he hadn't have died.

Agreed.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Icon!!!

Loved his music, but enjoyed it more when other artistes did his covers. I like to think of him as a great composer.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

BlueOrb wrote:Rubbish. Overrated. Wouldn't be half as famous if he hadn't have died.

and who is not overrated in your opinion? Umm Kulthum may be?
capsicum
BANNED

capsicum wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

capsicum wrote:

Sorry. No idea what you are talking about, and can't be bothered to Google it at the moment.
BlueOrb
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Remembering....... May 12, 2011
Hendrix was a genuine guitar legend and innovator.

Bob Marley was the figurehead for a large number of reggae musicians coming out of the Caribbean. He was the one who instigated the break out into the mainstream of popular music. There were others who were as talented or prodigious such as Peter Tosh, but they never caught the ear of the wider listening public.

:rr: :color: 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Remembering....... May 12, 2011
Agreed Marley made reggae mainstream and popular.

Hendrix, other than stringing a stratocaster the wrong way round for left handed use and playing it with his willy didn't do much. Maybe a few decent tunes here and there. As Orb says he wouldn't be half as famous if he hadn't died as any rock star of the 60's and 70's worth his salt of an overdose.
desertdudeshj

Re: Remembering....... May 13, 2011
desertdudeshj wrote:Agreed Marley made reggae mainstream and popular.

Hendrix, other than stringing a stratocaster the wrong way round for left handed use and playing it with his willy didn't do much. Maybe a few decent tunes here and there. As Orb says he wouldn't be half as famous if he hadn't died as any rock star of the 60's and 70's worth his salt of an overdose.

Its a little more than that.

Being a guitarist, I can tell you that his songs are technically brilliantly constructed and the sounds he created were completely revolutionary at the time. He was brought to the UK as no-one in the US could get what he was doing even though he had built a solid reputation as a blues performer working with many famous names such as the Isley Brothers, Little Richard and Sam Cooke.

The record producer Chas Chandler, who played as a member of the UK band The Animals, heard his work and teamed him with 2 equally well respected musicians in the shape of Mitch Mitchell on drums and guitarist Noel Redding...who was unceremoniously told after his audition he would be playing bass. This was the Jimi Hendrix Experience. They were signed to Polydor Records and this is when the magic began. it was also at this time he was introduced to the Fender Stratocaster. Being left handed, he re-strung the standard right handed guitar to suit his style. The combination of tones this created, due to the bias on the string tensioners being the opposite to the way it was designed, also developed a new and unique sound quality.

He was a perfectionist, often taking more than 50 attempts to get a recording right, and experimented with sounds using electronic effects pedals built specifically for him. These are now the standards used by every guitarist since. He discovered the Vox Wah Wah pedal when lent the first prototype by Frank Zappa and made it his own, influencing the growing number of funk musicians of the 70's. He used Overdrive, and a pedal called Octavia was designed for him. He played with feedback created by pushing amps to the max, subsequently used by every heavy rock band since.

Possibly the single most important technique he created was stereo Phase. In those days stereo was in its infancy and everything was recorded on simple 4 track tape in mono. Hendrix developed the method of double tracking performances and guiding the sound directions in the final stereo mix so that the sound rotated around the listener or appeared to crossover from side to side.

Many people never appreciate the changes he made to the culture, fashion and technology of rock music.

I do.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

For many Years I used to think Jimi Hendrix was a murderer, singing 1st verse last line 'Scuse me while I pierce this guy' until it was pointed out to me the correct line was 'Scuse me while I kiss the sky'

:lol: :lol:

Both lines didn't seem to make much sense to me at the time anyway, as I didn't experience acid until much later on in life! :shock:

:lol:
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Yeah, that line got mis-interpreted many ways!

He used to play up in a camp way in concert, pointing to band members and singing "Excuse me while I kiss this guy..." Of course, in the 1960's, this was shocking!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Remembering....... May 15, 2011
Bobby gets remembered and Robby not? :P

And believe me fooks, BB and I shared some wild nights together, did we not BeeBee? :lol: :mrgreen:

BB: "Man, I don't even have an opinion"... :blackeye:
RobbyG

Re: Remembering....... May 15, 2011
OOOHHHHHHHHHHHH My RobbyG is back!!! That so makes my day!!! I hope all is well with you and things are on track the way you wanted them to be! Hope you make more days (and nights :wink:) for me!!!

You have been greatly missed (at least by me). :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat