Mobile Scam From India??

Topic locked
Mobile Scam from India?? May 09, 2011
Between yesterday and today I received 24 calls from 4 different numbers on my mobile from India. I have to turn my phone off for a while then it seems to stop for a while. I don't know anyone in India and because of the mobile scams I don't answer calls from areas I'm not familiar with. Does anyone know if there are scams coming out of India?

I'm hoping it's not someone who I know who may be in India and in trouble. If I call the number back from my landline, and it is a scam, can the scam work on a landline?

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Mobile Scam from India?? May 09, 2011
Yeah there are loads of these scams at the moment. Activate your answerphone, if it's a friend in need, they'd leave a message!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Mobile Scam From India?? May 09, 2011
Just got 10 more calls from the same number !!!! Persistant bugger!!!..
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Answer with 'elloooo, police? What do you want?' and see them ring off immediately.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Well I called from my landline - got some drunk on the other end who could barely speak English. Told him I was the police and to stop calling Dubai. Haven't heard from him. LOL
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

lol nice work :D
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Well perhaps telemarketing companies are outsourcing to india as well , and given the number of companies getting the lead (your telephone numbers), all of them are calling all the numbers continuously , you need to understand that in INDIA laws cannot be enforced, they only exist on paper
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

50 calls in 2 days?? Would that be excessive or desperate?? If it was telemarketing why would there be such a focus on 1 number?

Like I said it was some drunk on the other end and I haven't received any more calls. Bit of a language barrier there but I think the word "police" had an impact. :lol: :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

once I received a call saying I won half million AED bla bla bla, and u have to do ...

anyway i hanged up :d was hungry and going for lunch :D
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Re: Mobile Scam from India?? May 10, 2011
they called me too I gave them Bethmum's number! She must be multi-billionaire by now :P
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Re: Mobile Scam From India?? May 10, 2011
5 more calls this morning!!! Will get Mr BB to follow this up.............
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

I am not sure if u have this option BB, but some phones support blocking some numbers...
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Well Chocs suggested I turn on my voicemail, which I really don't want to do since there is the option to text if someone needs to get a message to me, and I don't have a setting to block calls. What to do................
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:Well Chocs suggested I turn on my voicemail, which I really don't want to do since there is the option to text if someone needs to get a message to me, and I don't have a setting to block calls. What to do................

You know, the "police" angle has been mentioned here (but not the real police). Perhaps you could just go to the police and tell them you are being harassed...they might just take 'the case"....elsewhere they will send you home but not here...It could be fun to do (if you have the time that is).
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

I just pick up the phone and leave it connected for as long as possible. Would probably get tired of wasting so much money on international calls.

Has worked for me in the past.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Mobile Scam from India?? May 10, 2011
Ambassador wrote:they called me too I gave them Bethmum's number! She must be multi-billionaire by now :P

Thank you Ambassador, as it happens I have received some dodgy calls of my own lately. I thought it was Chocs trying to make a delivery :D
Bethsmum

The first thing you should be concerned about is how is your number reaching these telemarketting lists ? Usually your telecom company should maintain something called a "Do not disturb list" , it is a list to which you register your number so that you stop receiving any sort of unwanted calls, I am not sure if something like this exists in UAE , So seek to find out how your numbers are being leaked

Once upon a time I used to work for a telemarketting company, and my job was also to annoy the hell out of the person, but once we know someone is on a DND list , we stop calling
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

What makes you so certain its a telemarketing company? There are numerous phone scams that have taken place here, besides the email scams and the people who can change newspaper into dollars. In all my time here in Dubai I think I had one survey call, which was made from a local number. Why would a telemarketing company go as far as making long distance calls?
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Find out if your telecom company maintains a DND list, that would be more useful to you , rather than wondering about the "motivations" of unknown callers
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

AFAIK Etisalat and Du dont have DND lists , they do offer to block all your incoming calls though, making your phon useless
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Geeeez, Zubber. I already said it was not a telemarketing call. The guy was drunk and could barely speak English!!!

Do you think he might have been doing a survey on Chivas??? :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

hmmm could be an admirer perhaps, Have you been walking around showing unncessary amounts of skin again ? :mrgreen:
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

zubber wrote:hmmm could be an admirer perhaps, Have you been walking around showing unncessary amounts of skin again ? :mrgreen:

Are all Indians lechers? :shock: I have to say I came across one on my visit to Dubai in January. He had laser guided vision right onto my chest. He was accompanied by his two small children at the pool and Mrs wifey was lurking in the background in her sari. It really was most off putting. Everytime I opened one eye he was there. Yuk. Have a word Zubber!
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:Are all Indians lechers? :shock: I have to say I came across one on my visit to Dubai in January. He had laser guided vision right onto my chest. He was accompanied by his two small children at the pool and Mrs wifey was lurking in the background in her sari. It really was most off putting. Everytime I opened one eye he was there. Yuk. Have a word Zubber!

Could be two reasons for this -

1. You were inviting trouble by showing that which should not be shown

2. The perpetrator was into elderly ladies

In both circumstances you are at fault.
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Mobile Scam From India?? May 11, 2011
zubber wrote:
Bethsmum wrote:Are all Indians lechers? :shock: I have to say I came across one on my visit to Dubai in January. He had laser guided vision right onto my chest. He was accompanied by his two small children at the pool and Mrs wifey was lurking in the background in her sari. It really was most off putting. Everytime I opened one eye he was there. Yuk. Have a word Zubber!

Could be two reasons for this -

1. You were inviting trouble by showing that which should not be shown

2. The perpetrator was into elderly ladies

In both circumstances you are at fault.

Welcome to the UAE Zubber, I can see you will fit in well! Yes, of course it was all my fault. No blame at all on the Indian man who was playing with himself in the jacussi while his kids where shouting 'Daddy! come and play with us!'
Sorry kids I'm busy! You see I can see a white woman on her own who is obviously gagging for it! Why, there she is lying on her sun bed minding her own business, reading a book and enjoying the sunshine. She doesn't fool me kids! She wants a piece of my Indian A>S>S :pukeleft:
Bethsmum

Will someone tell me why women are so complicated ?
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

zubber wrote:Will someone tell me why women are so complicated ?

Women aren't that complicated Zubber, BM is quite simple.
Bethsmum

Yes, complicated, because if the Indian guy was handsome and buff, had no wife and kids with him, then this would have been a "See, I've still got it! Hot guy totally gagging for me at the pool today." story. :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:Yes, complicated, because if the Indian guy was handsome and buff, had no wife and kids with him, then this would have been a "See, I've still got it! Hot guy totally gagging for me at the pool today." story. :lol:

Damn right K! :D
Bethsmum

:lol: 1-nill Kanelli :compress:
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat