And You Wonder Why Driving Standards Are So Bad...

Topic locked
And you wonder why driving standards are so bad... Apr 26, 2011
Well I've got a little insight, after having to go back to driving school to do my motorcycle license, because of no prior experience I have to do 30 lessons and some theory. How much theory? Two lectures - TOTAL! And all they did in the lectures was go through the driving handbooks and the possible questions that might come up in the test. No explanations or anything. And some of the answers people were coming out with, I sat there utterly dumbstruck at the sheer lack of people's common sense.

Interestingly I took a couple of mock tests, and found it to be a bit of a joke that some of the RTA questions that are supposedly the correct ones, are actually WRONG - as told to me by one of the instructors DOH!

Regardless, Chocs passed the theory test with flying colours, so let's now see what the practical lessons hold. And yes DK, I shall be wearing a fetching dayglow vets, not getting my chaps out just yet though.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: And you wonder why driving standards are so bad... Apr 26, 2011
Chocoholic wrote: How much theory? Two lectures - TOTAL! And all they did in the lectures was go through the driving handbooks and the possible questions that might come up in the test. No explanations or anything. And some of the answers people were coming out with, I sat there utterly dumbstruck at the sheer lack of people's common sense.

When I had the test in Sharjah 7 years ago I was asked the meanings of 4 traffic signs. That was it. So It used to be no need in two lectures at all, but only 2 dirhams for the leaflet with signs and 15 minutes of free time.

The main problem was to have my long name written correctly on my license. They amended it 3 times before I had it right.

Anyway my confgratulation.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

I took my bike test eons ago! It was completely different in those days and all you had to do was ride around a pre-designated street course and the examiner would be observing you from somewhere. You kinda always knew where he was and he would jump out in front of you to do your emergency stop test, then make you do a U turn and head back the other way.

I did mine on the same day as my best mate who was a very experienced moto cross rider. As soon as the guy got his pass certificate, he ripped off the 'L' plates and popped a wheelie right down the high street in front of the examiner!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Hehehehe nice! Well I dread to think what they're going to make me ride - a knackered 200cc piece of crud probably lol
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Hehehehe nice! Well I dread to think what they're going to make me ride - a knackered 200cc piece of crud probably lol

You will be lucky to get 200 whole cc's!

Most likely be the Bajaj Pulsar 180cc...thats a sports bike in India!

It certainly won't be a Hero Honda Hunk!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dubai Knight wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Hehehehe nice! Well I dread to think what they're going to make me ride - a knackered 200cc piece of crud probably lol

You will be lucky to get 200 whole cc's!

Most likely be the Bajaj Pulsar 180cc...thats a sports bike in India!

It certainly won't be a Hero Honda Hunk!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight

No that's my prize at the end of it! Then we'll have to go for a little jaunt, the Shadow, Enfield and Harley - niiiiice.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

There is actually a model sold in India called the Hero Honda Hunk!!

I assume it stands for Hunk of Junk!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Googling, checking, pointing, laughing - it's what most of the delivery drivers drive.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

The older ones here are Honda CB 200's, which actually have a little class with their twin exhausts, low slung seat and chrome mudguards, but the newer ones are the Bajaj 180 Pulsar or the new Honda CD 250, which is again looks quite cool until you strap a great big square box on the back and realise it can only hit 80kmph flat out!

In my London courier bike days I had a Honda 400 Four Super Sport and it was magic! Whipping in and out of the traffic on a bright yellow banana and tanking it up to 120 MILES per hour on Hammersmith Broadway. Never got caught either!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat