DD Returns To Dubai!

Topic locked
DD returns to Dubai! Apr 15, 2011
...and is not a happy camper! After hiring a car to get from DXB to AUH to fly Qatar Airways for a strategically planned midnight flight so that we would arrive in Joburg at 8:30 am. Guess what? I am back in DXB..14 hours after leaving!

After enduring the AUH airport, getting to Doha, the asshats at Qatar decided to bump us because they were overbooked! We got the tix ages ago, checked in well in advance, and we were randomly bumped. Our wonderful compensation was a cup of instant coffee and a 4 hour wait in their dire lounge. Five star? Think again. Complete joke.

They had over booked all their flights so we ended up on an EK flight at 4am back to DXB to catch another EK flight at 10:15 to arrive 8 hours late in Joburg for our trip. Needless to say, I am choked. The ground staff was useless, phone CSAs useless, just terrible, terrible. I cannot believe I am sitting in DXB airport 14 hours after I left AUH!

My compensation was USD 250 that I need to chase them up for in Joburg, as they are not authorized to issue a refund in Doha or DXB! Are you kidding? They can't do it at the airport, only their sales office. I have never in all my years seen this, nor been treated this way. Avoid QA like the plague....they were literally hiding from me at the DOH airport.

On the plus side, I am having beer for breakfast so I sleep the whole 8 hours to South Africa. Why does this place not want me to leave?

DD out.

dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Re: DD returns to Dubai! Apr 15, 2011
It could only happen to you DD!

:lol:
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

dubaidog wrote:We got the tix ages ago, checked in well in advance, and we were randomly bumped.

Just curious here. Do you mean you already checked in online with assigned seats and they still threw you off at the airport?
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Flying Dutchman wrote:
dubaidog wrote:We got the tix ages ago, checked in well in advance, and we were randomly bumped.

Just curious here. Do you mean you already checked in online with assigned seats and they still threw you off at the airport?

I was actually going to ask the same question before scrolling down.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Either they love DD here too much, or someone 'more important' turned up and claimed a seat (for that read 'dressed in white').

I had to share a QA flight with a whole flock of falcons once. They got to sit in first class, but the handlers were all stuck down in cattle class.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Dillon wrote:It could only happen to you DD!

:lol: :lol:
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Re: DD returns to Dubai! Apr 17, 2011
They can still bump you, even if you've checked in online. It's very unusual for this to happen, but all airlines overbook, they have their estimated loads, available space and actual bookings. Same as hotels overbook by a certain percentage. Also depends on what ticket type you have, don't forget that even within economy, there are still different categories of ticket, whether you bought them during an offer or peak period, so they're more likely to bump the offer people than those that paid full whack.

Also DD, sadly if you listen to their adverts, 5* is only for first and business class passengers - cattle class get nowt.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: DD Returns To Dubai! Apr 17, 2011
Simple:You get what you pay for.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Re: DD returns to Dubai! Apr 18, 2011

Not really. Just one day after DD's post the Chief had absolutely the same but with "Emirates". It was my bad that I arrived to the airport only 2,5 hours in advance while most my smart-arse countrymen had done it 1,5 hour before me and so by my appearance had arranged a long queue to the only counter.

The flight to Moscow was heavily ovewrbooked and I found myself in a big raw between a big family, some members of whom had been registered on the flight but another ones not, and a couple, who was at risk of losing connection flight from Moscow to Siberia due to one day delay.

I quickly recognized that I could not win in that Stalingrad battle and agreed for the next day flight. By the way the compensation was far more generous than DD's one - one complimentary round-trip ticket to Moscow worth US$800 in current prices and full-board Millenium Hotel.

I spent a nice night in Meridian Village and quickly forgot the issue.
8) 8) 8)
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Re: DD returns to Dubai! Apr 19, 2011
Emirates are pretty good if they have to bump you.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Red Chief wrote:

Not really. Just one day after DD's post the Chief had absolutely the same but with "Emirates". It was my bad that I arrived to the airport only 2,5 hours in advance while most my smart-arse countrymen had done it 1,5 hour before me and so by my appearance had arranged a long queue to the only counter.

The flight to Moscow was heavily ovewrbooked and I found myself in a big raw between a big family, some members of whom had been registered on the flight but another ones not, and a couple, who was at risk of losing connection flight from Moscow to Siberia due to one day delay.

I quickly recognized that I could not win in that Stalingrad battle and agreed for the next day flight. By the way the compensation was far more generous than DD's one - one complimentary round-trip ticket to Moscow worth US$800 in current prices and full-board Millenium Hotel.

I spent a nice night in Meridian Village and quickly forgot the issue.
8) 8) 8)

Were you entertained by any ladies from Siberia in the Millenium Hotel, RC?
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote: Were you entertained by any ladies from Siberia in the Millenium Hotel, RC?

Unfortunately, it was not included to the compensation package. :oops: So there is no reason for envy, love.
8) 8) 8)
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Re: DD returns to Dubai! Apr 20, 2011
Red Chief wrote:
Bethsmum wrote: Were you entertained by any ladies from Siberia in the Millenium Hotel, RC?

Unfortunately, it was not included to the compensation package. :oops: So there is no reason for envy, love.
8) 8) 8)

Thank goodness RC, I don't want to see you lighter to the tune of dhs1000! Pop along to the Walk when you're next in town. I hear there is a buy on get one free offer on all ladies from Siberia :D
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:
Red Chief wrote:

8) 8) 8)

Thank goodness RC, I don't want to see you lighter to the tune of dhs1000! Pop along to the Walk when you're next in town. I hear there is a buy on get one free offer on all ladies from Siberia :D

I appreciate very much your attempt to learn new word by constant meaningless repeating it like a parrot. I do not why as Siberia is also very far from Bolton and extremely cold in winter. Do you like how the word sounds? :wink:
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

LOL! I'm not from Bolton RC! But if you dream of BM with a Bolton accent, then who am I to ruin that dream? :D
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:LOL! I'm not from Bolton RC! But if you dream of BM with a Bolton accent, then who am I to ruin that dream? :D

You overesimate me very much, hon. I cannot even differ Irish accent from yank's one. Believe me that nobody cares that every farm in the pretty average European country has distinctive accent.

Anyway I am not a big fan of phone sex. As a rule there is an old hag on dole or retirement pension on the other end of the line. Sorry, darling. Next time.
8) 8) 8)
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Red Chief wrote:
Bethsmum wrote:LOL! I'm not from Bolton RC! But if you dream of BM with a Bolton accent, then who am I to ruin that dream? :D

You overesimate me very much, hon. I cannot even differ Irish accent from yank's one. Believe me that nobody cares that every farm in the pretty average European country has distinctive accent.

Anyway I am not a big fan of phone love. As a rule there is an old hag on dole or retirement pension on the other end of the line. Sorry, darling. Next time.
8) 8) 8)

Damn! I hadn't realised I'd left my web cam on :D
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote: Damn! I hadn't realised I'd left my web cam on :D

Ok. Have a nice flying visit to Dubai on the beach. Your laptop can wait until rainy Manchester.
8) 8) 8)
Next time I might book a ticket on BMI. I assume that they have even more generous compensation package or some hospitable and entertaining personnel in case of bumping me out.
:oops:
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat