UK Generosity To Migrants

Topic locked
UK Generosity to Migrants Mar 05, 2011
I was floored when I read this. Especially the fact that migrants get child benefits even if their children remained behind in their home country?? Just another monkey thrown on the backs of taxpayers.

http://gulfnews.com/news/world/uk/migra ... s-1.771633

Excerpts from the article:

After just three months residency in the country, eastern European migrants will be able to claim hundreds of pounds a week in jobseeker's allowance, council tax and housing benefits.

But from May migrants from Poland, Estonia, Latvia, Hungary, Lithuania, Slovakia, Slovenia and the Czech Republic will simply have to pass a habitual residency test — showing they have been looking for work for three months.

The only other requirement is that they show benefits officials where they live, prove they want to settle here and show any employment history.

At that point they can get access to council tax rebate, housing benefit worth hundreds of pounds a week and jobseeker's allowance of £65 a week.

The change in rules will also lead to a rise in the number of eastern Europeans living in Britain who receive child benefit for children still living in their home country.

Figures last year showed there are already more than 32,000 children living in eastern Europe whose parents receive child benefit in Britain. Under EU rules, child benefit is paid to all parents in the UK, even if their children have stayed in their home countries.

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: UK Generosity to Migrants Mar 05, 2011
I think Bora if we look at what is going on at the Libya and Tunisia border, we can play a game.....................................SPOT THE FEMALE.

Its the usual story of wasters jumping on the money in sight bandwagon. :evil:
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Re: UK Generosity to Migrants Mar 05, 2011
I certainly think that if the Government gave us a referendum on staying in the EU, the majority of Brits would vote to come out. I can't say I've ever spoken to anyone who speaks in favour of it. If they are not telling us to give prisoners the vote, they are telling us what shape bananas we can sell.

Child benefit is an outdated benefit and should be binned. If people want to knock out a shed load of kids why should the ratepayer be expected to shell out for them?
In days gone by child benefit was paid to mothers in case the fathers left them short of money. That's an antiquated idea, I'm not saying it doesn't happen nowadays but it's up to the parents to sort that out.
To think we are paying hard earned tax money by way of benefit for kids that don't even live in the UK makes me sick. I wouldn't even give it to British parents.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: UK Generosity to Migrants Mar 06, 2011
Anyone know the address to the nearest UK embassy. I know a few potential applicants (just to get them off my dole)...will chane their last names so that they all end in "ky" or "ev" or "ci"...
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Re: UK Generosity to Migrants Mar 06, 2011
Or 'ski' and 'ska' if they are ladies.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: UK Generosity to Migrants Mar 07, 2011
Bethsmum wrote:Or 'ski' and 'ska' if they are ladies.

No lady would do so a thing.
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

The majority of Brits never wanted to be part of the EU to begin with. We are an island economy and it does us no favours whatsoever. And they wonder why so many are leaving.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

The UK was taken into the Common Market by the Conservatives led by Ted Heath in 1973, following a change of Government in the United Kingdom later that Year, the Labour Party started Renegotiations of the UK’s conditions of entry into the EU and called for a referendum on remaining in the Common Market, the outcome of the British referendum revealed that 67.2% of voters were in favour of the United Kingdom remaining a member of the Community, and the UK retained membership.

It's a urban myth that the UK population at that time didn't want to be part of the EU, after all, it was Winston Churchill's original Idea to have a "A kind of United States of Europe" back in 1946.
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Chocoholic wrote:The majority of Brits never wanted to be part of the EU to begin with. We are an island economy and it does us no favours whatsoever. And they wonder why so many are leaving.

Where in the world did you get that statement from, Membership to the EU was by referendum if my memory serves me correct.
This is not to say that I agree or disagree with whether or not we should be in the EU. Just to let everyone know that as usual Chocs likes to bend the truth!!!!
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Not bending anything. So exactly what do we get out of being part of the EU? Allowing hundreds of thousands of immigrants in, who then take all the jobs and benefits etc etc, what exactly are we left with?

No matter how we got in - the majority want out now!

http://www.theparliament.com/latest-new ... o-quit-eu/

http://www.democracymovementsurrey.co.u ... watch.html
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Not bending anything. So exactly what do we get out of being part of the EU? Allowing hundreds of thousands of immigrants in, who then take all the jobs and benefits etc etc, what exactly are we left with?

No matter how we got in - the majority want out now!

http://www.theparliament.com/latest-new ... o-quit-eu/

http://www.democracymovementsurrey.co.u ... watch.html

So you know what everyone wants??????????????

Give me a break, useless statements like this serve no purpose.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Why don't you offer something constructive Sage, instead of using the opportunity to have a go at me! It's tiresome - once again!

And I've given evidenc in the links I posted, if you choose not to even take a look, that's your problem!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Why don't you offer something constructive Sage, instead of using the opportunity to have a go at me! It's tiresome - once again!

And I've given evidenc in the links I posted, if you choose not to even take a look, that's your problem!

Evidence according to you, however the truth of the matter is that the majority of the British Public opted for entry to the EU, is that a fact or not???
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Go back and read the above post again - 'no matter how we got in' i.e. whether people voted it in, the majority now want out. Ok, happy now! Still doesn't change the fact that it was a HUGE mistake and most people now want out.

I'm still waiting to see what benefits we've had from it!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Go back and read the above post again - 'no matter how we got in' i.e. whether people voted it in, the majority now want out. Ok, happy now! Still doesn't change the fact that it was a HUGE mistake and most people now want out.

I'm still waiting to see what benefits we've had from it!

Sitting in Dubai, what would you know about the benefits???

Furthermore it is ridiculous to suggest that we should simply move in and out of something as big as the EU, try to be sensible in what you suggest.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

If what I write is so offensive to you, then just block me so you don't have to read it! I;ve done the same to you! No more Sage drivel.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:If what I write is so offensive to you, then just block me so you don't have to read it! I;ve done the same to you! No more Sage drivel.

Thats fine then, however I will not block what you are writing though, as other people have a right to know that you are posting nonsense.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: UK Generosity to Migrants Mar 09, 2011
It would be extremely detrimental for the UK to leave the european common market. People in the UK might hold a different opinion (I have no idea on the opinion polls) but its not necessarily informed. Economically it would be a disaster and not a benefit - just look at the amount of trade thats done with Europe and that will become clear.

On the actual topic - the UK stands out as being one of the most generous to migrants as well as its citizens. A lot of this is changing pretty fast and I don't think future generations will enjoy these types of benefits from the government - in the UK or elsewhere - its simply unaffordable in the long run.
JoeTGF
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat