No Good Music Nowadays

Topic locked
No good music nowadays Feb 06, 2011
I cleaning out a room. Found some old CDs. For some reason I lost track of them. They certainly knew how to make music in the "old" days. Queen, GNR, Maiden etc. Freddy was a bloody genius!

What do was we have now in the charts? Hiphop blah blah, she loves, he loves me, she left, somebody catching a grenade blah blah.

No music like the old days!

Must be getting old. :?

* back to air gitaring *

Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: No good music nowadays Feb 06, 2011
Totally agree. And what do young artists to today to make themselves popular? Sample classic tracks!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Three programmes I try to listen to every week, Sound's of the Sixties with Brian Matthew, Sounds of the 70's with Johnny Walker and Pick of ther Pops with Tony Blackburn, last weeks charts from '66 and '77 this weeks from '58 and '69, changes every week, if I have time I'll record the broadcast with a wave mapper and save it on my iPod.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006wqlv
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00jlwqd
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006wqx7

Enjoy
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Another you might like it Totally 80's with Gary King! Love that show.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: No Good Music Nowadays Feb 06, 2011
http://www.sky.fm/ , Streaming Audio , Lots of genres (non electronica) , I listen to Jazz Genre's when analyzing data all data or following protocol ,
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

What about U2, The Beastie Boys, Rage Against the Machine, REM, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Veruca Salt, Hole, No Doubt, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Coldplay, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Stone Temple Pilots, Gorillaz etc.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Chocoholic wrote:Another you might like it Totally 80's with Gary King! Love that show.

How about Casey Kasem American Top 40.

-- Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:42 pm --

kanelli wrote:What about U2, The Beastie Boys, Rage Against the Machine, REM, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Veruca Salt, Hole, No Doubt, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Coldplay, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Stone Temple Pilots, Gorillaz etc.

Someone recently wanted to know if it was worth bringing Pearl Jam to Dubai. What happened there?
benwj

Couldn't agree more and this thread couldn't come at a better time. For the last few days I was having a "the good old days" youtube music revival. Trying to get back to the music that inspired me to take up drumming. Lars Ulrich from Metallica being my biggest influence

Metallica, Megadeth, Aerosmith, Bon jovi, Van Halen, Foriegner, Whitesnake, AC/DC, Firehouse, Panthera, Beck, Gin blossoms, Goo Goo dolls, Eric Claptan, Santana, Sound Garden, STP, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Eagles, SteppenWolf The Who, list is too long to share !

I can't imagine people talking fondly about bieber or gaga 20 years from now, most of todays music is absolutely shyte.

How bout we all share a video ? Just to bring to relive a little of the good old days eh :D

Here is an oldie but goldie

desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: No good music nowadays Feb 07, 2011
WhiteJade
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: No Good Music Nowadays Feb 07, 2011
desertdudeshj

I miss the old days of songs with lyrics that mean something and are artistic, not fluff. The same with music videos.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Talking about...I think this is a song written brilliantly, and its not some mushy love song. Fits like a glove to the soundtrack it was associated with 8)

desertdudeshj

kanelli wrote:I miss the old days of songs with lyrics that mean something and are artistic, not fluff. The same with music videos.

Laura Marling is well worth a listen, she's reminiscent of Joni Mitchell.

http://www.lauramarling.com/

Dillon

Cool, will check that out!

Feeling like a little Freddie!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RyIyEyV ... re=related
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Ahh Queen, this is one of my fav, well written no doubt considering he was dying really gives the lyrics a deeper impact

desertdudeshj

Re: No good music nowadays Feb 07, 2011
Another attempt at posting a Laura Marling video

Dillon

Re: No Good Music Nowadays Feb 08, 2011
She's really great! Am definitely going to buy some of her music!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: No good music nowadays Feb 09, 2011
Indeed it is sad when the only decent music on the radio is Kid Rock ripping off old songs. I noticed the other day that he is sounding more and more like Bob Seeger, so I googled it...Lo and behold, he is produced by the Seegs!!

And flipping the coin over completely, I have to admit to a measure of admiration for Lady Antebellum...pure old fashioned Country and Western but they sound tight. I know, its SO wrong to like C&W!

Anything with lots of thrashing guitars for me!

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: No Good Music Nowadays Feb 10, 2011
This one is for Kanelli. I used to work with these guys back in the day. It is a pretty much the 2nd Canadian National Anthem. I am now wishing I had my guitar to jam this sucker out!

dubaidog
Dubai chat master

DD, that was awesome!!! Went right to the heart with that one :)

Since you are getting your guitar out, how about this one!

kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Did you know for obvious reasons, they stopped performing New Orleans is Sinking? I have been listening to the Hip this whole time in Philippines. I like rocking the Hip on my guitar, as no one knows it in Dubai, so when I bugger it up, they have no clue!

-- Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:33 am --

I did a few shows with Gord Downey....he is as weird as he looks when on stage!
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Re: No good music nowadays Feb 10, 2011
i'm surprised no ones mentioned David Cassidy, classics like Could it Be Forvever? will never die.
Bethsmum

Re: No Good Music Nowadays Feb 11, 2011
Do you like to play Blue Rodeo songs as well? One of my favourites!

kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: No good music nowadays Feb 16, 2011
Dillon wrote:Another attempt at posting a Laura Marling video

WOW Excellent taste Dillon!! Laura Marling has just won Best British Female Artist at this years Brit awards. She was very understated, I was impressed. In my ignorance I can't say I'd heard of her! I'm a Rhianna fan myself. Those legs!!!

I have to say I like Cee Lo Green but was he breaking those teeth in for Red Rum????
Bethsmum

Re: No good music nowadays Feb 22, 2011

Minimal at its finest.
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: No Good Music Nowadays Feb 22, 2011
I love the Matrix soundtracks. I am not a "house" or techno guy anymore, but I am an audiophile. Listening to electronica(and any music) through $3000 USD headphones would really make you appreciate it! I use the wireless type belt packs you see musicians using and wonder what is stuck in their ears. Forget Bose canceling headphones. These bad boys put the tunes IN your head.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Re: No Good Music Nowadays Jul 08, 2011
TS, you crazy? There are hundreds of amazing modern bands, you just have to look harder.

Bands like Radiohead, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Warpaint, Dream Theater, Rush, MGMT, Tool, Primus, Modest Mouse, Godspeed You!Black Emperor, Sigur Ros, TV on the Radio, Foo Fighters...I can go on for days. All of these bands are technical and led by real emotions that don't include 'grenade catching'. Basically look up most bands that have started in the 80s or 90s and are still not selling out.

EDIT: My bad, didn't know we should link something.
However, to split off a little from what everyone's doing, I'll post some GOOD modern music, just to show how nonconformist I am...

A little from each genre, here's some psychedelic stuff you can have a spliff to or drop some acid tabs and steer clear from reality:

Some prog rock to head bang to a little:

Something funky to put a top hat to and smoke a cig:

A little post-rock to remind you that music can be the most beautiful thing ever:

Some REAL Dubstep that you can trip balls to with just a little help of MDMA:

Modest Mouse, with their wide use of instrumentation and amazing lyrics:

And last but not least, the Red Hot Chili Peppers...I think they speak for themselves really:
cw71017
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Movies and Music TalkForum Rules

Return to Movies and Music Talk