Emergency Travel Plans/advice Needed

Topic locked
Emergency travel plans/advice needed Jan 25, 2011
Hi All,

Long story short, my long, long battle with an ex-employer is finished as of yesterday. I got my Labor card canceled, Residency canceled and best of all...PAID! But, through all this crap, through no fault of mine, my residency had expired in November as well as my Labour card, etc, but because I had a court case, it was all good to work, be here, etc. Neither of us could cancel anything until the court proceedings were finished.

The company PRO and I have been all over town since last Thursday trying to sort this all out, but you can't cancel document X without document Y and you can't get document Y without jumping through hoop "A". Anyway, much to my shock when my residency was canceled yesterday at 1:30 PM, I was given one week to leave! Not 30 days, as my residency had expired (like I said, not my fault, nothing I could do). After arguing with them, I just left DNRD and got my check at the court.

I obviously cannot close out my life in a week, we are planning on leaving in April and making plans for that. It kills me that these idiots have no clauses for people in my position. My case has been "closing next week" for 2 months now. Just because they got around to it yesterday, now I am in panic mode.

In days of olde, I would just do a visa run. the problem is I am here now and the Canadian visit visa laws have kicked in. I cannot apply for a visit visa in the country, so I need to go somewhere, then fly back via Emirates to get the fast/cheap visa. The problem is, no one can tell me if I need to be gone for 30 days, or if the exclusion does not apply, as I currently do not have a visit viusa, but am on a grace period.

So here is the dilemma, I am looking to go somewhere in the next few days for at least a week, but MAYBE 30 days. The criteria is as follows:
-must be warm (I do not have any warm clothes, nor am I in the mood)
-must be cheap (can't be stuck in Europe for a month!)
-Emirates or Etihad must fly there

So you are asking "why not go visit mum"? She is working, has no holiday time, and I do not want to freeze my nuts off on a desolate farm in Canada. My brother in Houston is traveling, so that is out. No point in going to Australia, as I will drop a fortune in car rentals, etc. and do not want to go ahead of Mrs.DD.

Europe is too pricey (and cold), and I don't know anyone there. I know that narrows it down, but what about Sri Lanka, Philipines, somewhere in Africa? Anyone been somewhere cheap and cool? Some culture or adventure would be nice. Mrs. DD may or may not join me at some point depending on how long I need to be away.

dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Re: Emergency Travel Plans/advice Needed Jan 25, 2011
Singapore! (guess that's expensive though)

We really enjoyed Sri Lanka, spent most of our time in the cultural triangle (had less than a week in SL). One day we'll go back and see Nuwareliya and go along the coast and see the beaches. There really is so much to see as well as the possibility to just relax. However, if you plan to stay a length of time in much of the country you must take anti-malaria pills.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Emergency travel plans/advice needed Jan 25, 2011
Well I would guess your cheapest option would be a flight into India, short haul, cost of living relatively low and the place is steeped in History, my Mother-in-Law used to go every Year for three to four Months for the UK winter, she used to travel around and explore India by train, never tired of it always something new to see. My preference would be Cyprus or Malta, more expensive but there deals to be made in the current off season, just as much history and no Delhi Belly to contend with! Good luck.
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Why not try INDIA , its pretty cheap , I am sure the UAE INDIA sector is very busy , and there must be a lot of deals, many westerners can get a visa on entry. Some western countries dont need a visa at all (for 30 days or something) , I can't be specific because every indian state has its own peculiar laws, the travel agent can inform you about that.

Or if you dont want to venture far, you could head down to OMAN, Its not a tourist hotspot , there are many etihad, oman air, emirates , all go there, From Sharjah you can also take air arabia (LCC),
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Thanks for the input thus far. Canadians need a visa in advance for India, so that rules that out. Oman does not really blow my hair back. If it were warmer I would tour some GCC countries, but too cold right now. I am seriously thinking Sri Lanka. FlyDubai goes there for 125 USD, then back on Emirates for 250 USD. I have never researched it so have no clue.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Mauritius is hot this time of year - but flights aren't that cheap.

How about something off the beaten track.. such as Ethiopia - Emirates flies into Addis Ababa - provided you can get a visa on arrival (?) It's safe and there are cheapo hotels around and loads of culture (loads more if you travel around Ethiopia itself - Lallibella, Axum etc - requiring internal flights)?

Sri Lanka sounds good too - it gets good reviews from what I've read.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Can recommend Sri Lankha too.

There is a really cool eco-resort just 30 minutes from the airport at Ranwelli. Cheap, fascinating and warm.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sri Lanka is great but it is a mess at the moment...flooding...has cuased more damage than the Tsunami!!

I would recommend Jordan but it will be a bit chilly.

Go stay with Shafique! I thought he had offered before.

How about Cyprus? but check weather...

Wait, wait, I've got it: CUBA !!!!!!!!

Just hop over to London and then London-Habana...should be cheap, warm. Lots of Mojitos and Cuba Libres.
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

DD, here is the TripAdvisor forum for Sri Lanka - very useful for info on what is happening on the ground at the moment and to hear from those who have been there many times or who live there. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g2 ... Lanka.html

Sri Lanka has 7 UNESCO world heritage sites - a lot for a little country.

We saw Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa, Dambulla Cave Temple, Temple of the Tooth shrine in Kandy, Peradinya Botanic Gardens, Millenium Elephant Foundation, Minneriya National Park
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

I'd highly recommend India... you dnt have to bother with the whole country though , just focus on the south namely GOA (that's me) and then if interested you move further down south, or move up north. The possibility of you getting bored is non-existent. Although with tighter visa regulations you may find it difficult to squeeze both SL and India into a trip. Besides it's counter-productive.

So basically Goa is everything you need, sun, sand, beach, it's got pristine nature and there is always this lingering curiosity to visit other parts of India as well. Besides Goa as a destination is tailor made for long term tourists,so you really won't be burning a hole in ur wallet. Now you could fly straight to Goa for Shj via Air-Arabia or I think Indian Airlines from Dubai(not sure). Although Etihad and Emirates will take you to Bombay and from there you could fly on equally avant-garde flights straight to Goa.

Imagine renting an Enfield, breezing through the country side, lazy afternoons by the beach and a nightlife that'll have you asking for more. Blisss! What's really critical here is the fact that ur not going for a week or a fortnight, but you might need to spend a month away. And that's where Goa really works, the people are cultural, yes, but they're also well traveled, and that makes Goan's a lot more welcoming than people in other parts, who would probably only entertain you so long as you're willing to dole out cash.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

I agre with Shafique - Ethiopia!

Emirates should be 2000 to 2500, and hotels are cheap (or expensive, if you prefer). Am heading there next month myself, for the first time, and am hoping to see some of the more notable cultural places (in between getting married).

Food is good, too. Local spice is Berbere, and i can definitely recommend it.
BlueOrb
Dubai forums Addict

My wife and I came back from Langkawi recently (island off Malaysia) -- weather great and absolutely beautiful place. There are expensive 5star hotels but you can also go as cheap as you like. We stayed in KL for a couple of days and the rest of the time in a nice hotel in Lagkawi. The hotel was pricy but we rented a car and therefore avoided having to eat in their restaurants + got around the island and got to experience a lot.
JoeTGF
Dubai forums Addict

JoeTGF wrote:My wife and I came back from Langkawi recently (island off Malaysia) -- weather great and absolutely beautiful place. There are expensive 5star hotels but you can also go as cheap as you like. We stayed in KL for a couple of days and the rest of the time in a nice hotel in Lagkawi. The hotel was pricy but we rented a car and therefore avoided having to eat in their restaurants + got around the island and got to experience a lot.

Off topic: did the Mrs get her Bentley????

Back on topic.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Wow, so much input. Thanks gang. I can't get a visa for India in time, so that is out, Mauritius costs a bomb, so that is out. Cuba is waaaaaay too far, and you are right, Jordan is a bit nippy. I checked flights to Ethiopia, they are not too bad, but not sure if that is on the Mrs. list or not. I have been to KL a bunch of times, and if I end up in Thailand, I would do a side trip there.

I am liking Kanelli's suggestion and perusing that link. Lots of good info. I am off to see a travel agent in a bit so will see what they say.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Why don't you go chill out with my wakeboarding buddies in Thailand for a bit. Cheap as chips, nice and warm, good food, good company - what's not to like.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sri Lanka returning on Emirates you said?:

DAY – 01

Arrival and transfer to Dambulla. Dambulla is a world heritage site and the most impressive of Sri Lanka’s cave temples. Check-in to Heritance Kandalama for the Overnight stay .

Visit the Rock Cave Temple of Dambulla. Located at a height of over 180mts on a huge rock, the caves contain beautiful images of the Buddha totaling up to 150 as well as those of Hindu deities. The walls are also adorned with colorful frescoes of various scenes related to the arrival of Buddhism to Sri Lanka and great deeds of the kings. Overnight stay at Heritance Kandalama in Dambulla.

DAY – 02

After an early breakfast climb Sigiriya, the “Lion Mountain” in the morning. In 470 AD, Kasyapa, the son of a non-royal consort of the king, took over the kingdom after committing partricide. He built his magnificent palace on the top of this 360 mts high rock fearing the wrath of the crown prince Moghallana. The architectural wonder is famous for its well preserved rock paintings of the beautiful “Cloud Damsels” seen half way up the rock and the “Lion Stairway” that provides access to the summit. The complex of the fortress on the plains around the rock extends over 15 hectares.

Then travel to Pollonnaruwa the Medieval Kingdom from the 11th to the 13th century. Ethnic harmony prevailed between the Singhalese and the Tamils during this period. Buddhist and Hindu Temples located in the same complex and many other ruins symbolizes this fact. The Palaces, Huge granite sculptures and the massive tanks and complex irrigation systems built by the Great Kings conveys the extent of development that existed in this middle history period. Return to Heritance Kandalama Hotel in Dambulla for the overnight stay.

DAY – 03

After breakfast leave for Kandy. You will visit a Spice Garden in Matale and arrive at the beautiful Hill Capital of Kandy in the afternoon. Surrounded by lush tropical scenery, this was the last capital city and Kingdom of the Sri Lanka’s Royalty until the British took over the city in 1815. Check-in to Mahaweli Reach Hotel in Kandy. Visit the Royal Botanical Gardens in Peradeniya. After a city tour in the evening you will visit the most sacred place of the Buddhist World, the Dalada Maligawa – the Temple of the Tooth Relic of Lord Buddha. Also visit a Gem Lapidary, Handicraft Centre and a Batik Factory. Return to Mahaweli Reach Hotel for overnight stay after watching a Cultural Show.

DAY – 04

After an early breakfast leave for Nuwara Eliya, the Tea Garden of Sri Lanka. Proceed on the scenic mountain route through Tea country with an en route visit to a Tea Factory. With its cool mountain climate Nuwara Eliya became the favourite hill station of the British during their rule. Check-in to Grand Hotel. The afternoon city tour will confirm this as you pass houses, cottages, the Golf Club and other areas very much reminiscent of the countryside of England. Overnight stay at Grand Hotel in Nuwara Eliya.

DAY – 05

After an early breakfast leave for Yala. The Yala National Park or Yala as it is better known, is synonymous with the word 'wildlife' in Sri Lanka. The largest wildlife sanctuary in the island, Yala covers 126, 786 hectares and is situated 305 km south east of Colombo near the coast. Take a drive to the Yala National Park by Jeep, particularly this is a good place to see Elephants. There are also Leopards, Bears, Deer, Crocodiles, Wild Boar, Monkeys, Buffalos and Wild Peacocks. After the safari return to your hotel for freshen-up. (The country here is dry zone scrub jungle with patches of dusty glades and starkly different to the green verdure of the wet zone). Check-in to Elephant Reach Hotel for overnight stay.

DAY – 06

After breakfast leave for Colombo, the commercial capital of Sri Lanka. Check in to Cinnamon, Colombo.

DAY – 07

Colombo City Tour
A drive through the city will take you to the commercial area of the city and tree-lined Cinnamon Gardens, the prime residential area of the City. Visit Fort area, former garrison and Pettah, to see the Hindu Temple at Sea Street, which is also lined with goldsmith's shops; the Dutch Church at Wolfendhal dating back to 1749; the historic Davatagaha Mosque; Town Hall, B.M.I.C.H, next to which is a replica of Avukana Buddha and the Independence Square.

Overnight stay at Cinnamon Grand Colombo.

DAY – 08

Leave for Bandaranayake International Airport at 0600hrs to take the flight EK651 departing at 0950hrs

Have fun.

I would lend you our jet but it currently a few ponds away (getting milk and eggs :P )
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

You can't miss out on the elephant sanctuary at Kandy! Get there early enough to see them walk down the road to the river for a bath. Then you get in there with them and give them a good scrub...they love it!

:D :D :D

Knight
Dubai Knight

I visited Sri Lanka a year ago and saw Kandy as well with the elephants bathing - very nice - enjoyed it a lot.

Off topic - @Bora - yes she did - regret it more and more as each day passes.
JoeTGF
Dubai forums Addict

JoeTGF wrote:I visited Sri Lanka a year ago and saw Kandy as well with the elephants bathing - very nice - enjoyed it a lot.

Off topic - @Bora - yes she did - regret it more and more as each day passes.

LOL. I'm sure she's enjoying it more and more as each day passes. What a good hubby you are. :)
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

My first suggestion would be India, Goa. But as this is not possible, well the next fun place which is warm and not expensive is Thailand.

I haven't been in Thailand myself, but my sis was there last year and they really had great time there, good hotels with sensible prices and amazing nature.
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Something just struck me, Is there a stamp on your passport along with your canceled visa that you have to leave in 10 days ? As regularly its 30 days and maybe the official at the dnrd was just being an oaf.

If you don't have it written or stamped anywhere I would have your passport details rechecked at the DNRD just to make sure.
desertdudeshj

Chocoholic wrote:Why don't you go chill out with my wakeboarding buddies in Thailand for a bit. Cheap as chips, nice and warm, good food, good company - what's not to like.

Thanks a mill, Chocs, but not allowed to do anything the Mrs. deems as "fun". I am allowed a golf trip or something she has no interest in doing.

-- Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:04 pm --

desertdudeshj wrote:Something just struck me, Is there a stamp on your passport along with your canceled visa that you have to leave in 10 days ? As regularly its 30 days and maybe the official at the dnrd was just being an oaf.

If you don't have it written or stamped anywhere I would have your passport details rechecked at the DNRD just to make sure.

Thanks, DDS, There is nothing but "canceled" stamped on my visa. The official cancellation paper clearly says "DD must GTFO by Sunday if not sooner".

-- Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:07 pm --

Ambassador..thanks for the proposed itinerary! Do you work for the tourist board or is this from holidays past? Looks like a lot to jam in!
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Re: Emergency Travel Plans/advice Needed Jan 26, 2011
dubaidog wrote:Thanks for the input thus far. Canadians need a visa in advance for India, so that rules that out. Oman does not really blow my hair back. If it were warmer I would tour some GCC countries, but too cold right now. I am seriously thinking Sri Lanka. FlyDubai goes there for 125 USD, then back on Emirates for 250 USD. I have never researched it so have no clue.

DANG I didn't see this post :oops: :oops:
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Saw the cultural show in Kandy too, very good to see that. Don't see the elephants in Habarana - are not treated as well, didn't like the mahouts - they just want money. Millenium Elephant Foundation outside of Kandy is best.

Spice gardens and shopping areas are also traps for people to ask for lots of money - avoided those too. At Sigiriya I had so many guys wanting to hold my arm while walking up a staircase for 10 USD - not gonna happen.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:Saw the cultural show in Kandy too, very good to see that. Don't see the elephants in Habarana - are not treated as well, didn't like the mahouts - they just want money. Millenium Elephant Foundation outside of Kandy is best.

Spice gardens and shopping areas are also traps for people to ask for lots of money - avoided those too. At Sigiriya I had so many guys wanting to hold my arm while walking up a staircase for 10 USD - not gonna happen.

Agreed.

Did not do any elephant ride thing (mistreated I thought...chains on their legs etc.). Best place to see them was at the Yala National Park (in the wild).

No shopping traps either. Went to the goverment store in Colombo ("Laksala") - good stuff and money goes to help artisans etc.

DD, no - just love to travel (been to a few places :wink: ).
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat