Permission To Drink

Topic locked
Permission to drink Jan 18, 2011
http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news ... ply-to-all

For all of those who have doubted what has been posted in the past, please read and digest.

sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Permission to drink Jan 18, 2011
And how can tourists get a liquor license?
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Permission to drink Jan 18, 2011
Flying Dutchman wrote:And how can tourists get a liquor license?

Available at the Police Station, just need two passport photo's and passport.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Permission To Drink Jan 18, 2011
Yeah, like tourists are going to do that.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

I have it on good authority that this article was not fact checked, the fellow in the article was mis-quoted AND the journo was reprimanded for it. I am pretty sure we discussed this when it came up.

The article is total crap. Tourists do not need, nor can they obtain a liquor license. The hotel they stay in is licensed on their behalf. I called MMI, A&E as well as Dubai Police, and none had heard of a tourist liquor license. If you look at 3/4 of the documents required for a license, you would see tourists do not qualify.

If it were true, I guess they might as well close the Duty Free shops, eh?
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Booze is one of those things that they officialy don't want but know they can't survive long without it so they try to regulate it and mostly overlook most violations and trying their best to have it both ways. Just like a lot of other laws, decency etc etc. Specially if they are looking into raking in the tourist and foriegn investment dollar.

Personaly I couldn't care less about infidel juice as I have nothing to do with it, so to me its all a big hoo haa. They could ban it altoghter tommorow and I wouldn't be bothered infact I'd support that decision.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

desertdudeshj wrote: They could ban it altoghter tommorow and I wouldn't be bothered infact I'd support that decision.

Sorry mate, us infidels need our juice. It is as social as sheesha is to the arab folk. I don't mean necessarily getting all BM'ed every weekend (well, most), but a BBQ would not be the same without a beer, New Years would not be the same without a glass of bubbly, and a night at the pub would be ultra dull. :drunken:

-- Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:51 pm --

Thought I should mention, I'm off to the local after a long day. It's been ages. If I hurry, it will still be ultra-infidel hour!
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

No worries mate, I understand the need for infidel juice, and by all means. That was just a personal opinion, just that I've seen too much crap gone wrong and people land up in really crappy situation because of it.

Although I was delighted to read some places in Canada are considering a zero tolerance limit on drink and driving. I say more power to them.

P.S : Enjoy ultra infidel hour...bottoms up !
desertdudeshj

P.P.S : What just gets my goat a little here though is that how some think its their god given right to drink here and not a priviledge and an accomodation, and then whine like morons when they do step over the line.
desertdudeshj

dubaidog wrote:
desertdudeshj wrote: They could ban it altoghter tommorow and I wouldn't be bothered infact I'd support that decision.

Sorry mate, us infidels need our juice. It is as social as sheesha is to the arab folk. I don't mean necessarily getting all BM'ed every weekend (well, most), but a BBQ would not be the same without a beer, New Years would not be the same without a glass of bubbly, and a night at the pub would be ultra dull. :drunken:

Thought I should mention, I'm off to the local after a long day. It's been ages. If I hurry, it will still be ultra-infidel hour!

I thought the term "infidel juice" was clever so I did a forum search for its origin (first appearance) .

Here is the earliest reference I found from May 2007: dubai-chat/mac-wedding-invitation-t19264.html

Seems like some fun was being had - but I only recognize 2 posters :shock:
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Re: Permission To Drink Jan 19, 2011
Ambassador wrote:
dubaidog wrote:

I thought the term "infidel juice" was clever so I did a forum search for its origin (first appearance) .

Here is the earliest reference I found from May 2007: dubai-chat/mac-wedding-invitation-t19264.html

Seems like some fun was being had - but I only recognize 2 posters :shock:

The good ol' days. concord masquerading as MAC. Were we ever that young? As a sidebar, Concs and Ian and I still call booze Infidel Juice. It kinda stuck. We are having an infidel meat and juice fest tomorrow. Yum.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

dubaidog wrote:

LOL DD what's BM'ed?

Agreed DD, there is nothing like that warm feeling one gets when a glass of cold Chardonnay hits the spot!

-- Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:04 am --

desertdudeshj wrote:No worries mate, I understand the need for infidel juice, and by all means. That was just a personal opinion, just that I've seen too much crap gone wrong and people land up in really crappy situation because of it.

Although I was delighted to read some places in Canada are considering a zero tolerance limit on drink and driving. I say more power to them.

P.S : Enjoy ultra infidel hour...bottoms up !

DDS I don't know anyone sensible that doesn't agree that drink driving is very wrong.

Bottoms up? I think you mean 'cheers'.
Bethsmum

BM, when you are in town let me know. We'll get Tiki Puka'd. Can't do the Chardonnay, I am a red man.

As far as BM'ed goes....i thought it an appropriate term as apparently you sink 2/3 bottles a night? I might be mistaken. Can you get me some duty free next time? DD is dry. And thirsty.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

dubaidog wrote:BM, when you are in town let me know. We'll get Tiki Puka'd. Can't do the Chardonnay, I am a red man.

As far as BM'ed goes....i thought it an appropriate term as apparently you sink 2/3 bottles a night? I might be mistaken. Can you get me some duty free next time? DD is dry. And thirsty.

It could be sooner than you bargained for DD!
As for 2/3 bottles a night, at least, I would say!
No probs with the duty free, place your order now.
Bethsmum

desertdudeshj wrote:P.P.S : What just gets my goat a little here though is that how some think its their god given right to drink here and not a priviledge and an accomodation, and then whine like morons when they do step over the line.

You are right DDS, we are the only people trying to get accommodations for our cultural habits and practices in the foreign country we are living in. No one else does that... :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Permission to drink Jan 19, 2011
A responsible social imbibement of 'infidel juice' either in a private residence or fully licensed establishment where it is openly advertised and suitably taxed followed by a taxi home or the use of safe driver is tolerated in a country where the supply of said opiate is regulated and sanctioned by the government.

It all goes Pete Tong when someone who is not used to it gets hold of a bottle of some exclusive black label brand and tanks the lot before jumping into his blacked out 4x4 thinking he is the best driver in the world and also untouchable by the law. He either wakes up dead or in a hospital ER with the family of the people he has killed and injured beating down the door screaming for blood money.

Similarly, the lowly worker who dulls the misery of his slavery life by getting completely blotto on a litre of something orange and distilled in Bangalore from anti-freeze and napalm then decides to pick a fight with himself and then the other 10 men in his shared prison cell and ends up in handcuffs on a plane home.

Unfortunately, of the 3 examples, only the top one seems to get into the media and has the total abstainers up in arms.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Ambassador wrote:I thought the term "infidel juice" was clever

The term "NeuroToxin" is also a more accurate.
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

zubber wrote:
Ambassador wrote:I thought the term "infidel juice" was clever

The term "NeuroToxin" is also a more accurate.

For pharmacy students...

"indidel juice" in this part of the world :lol:
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Now let me think about this carefully!

Imagine..................................

The mentality of those who dont take infidel juice, what would they be like with it?

Whats that stuff they take thats legal on a Friday, CAT?

WOW, I get a shiver down my spine.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Also Imagine.................

A life that doesnt involve living for the weekend, where you get drunk and endup doing something you will inevitably regret

WOW, Thats a better world to live in.
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Permission to drink Jan 19, 2011
Drinking in moderation is ok, but it's embarassing when people go to far and make fools of themselves or turn violent. Binge drinking among young women is a major problem. Only last night some girly mates were out for ladies night, got totally hammered and one threw up in the middle of a bar - classy - er not!

You know if they legalised something else, you wouldn't have these problems and everyone would be mellow and nice to each other!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Permission To Drink Jan 20, 2011
Chocs, I hope you are not advocating drug taking. Have you ever experienced someone hooked on drugs? Give me a binge drinker anyday.
Bethsmum

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat