Sevens

Topic locked
Sevens Dec 05, 2010
I need somewhere to vent my grievences and what better place.

I'm a bit pissed off about having to pay 230 dirhams to get in, and then 25 dirhams for a meat pie.

Actually, like many people, someone else paid for the entry ticket, but it is obvious to me that this is the biggest scam in Dubai.

It was reasonably priced many years ago.
But I am fully expecting the entry price to go up yet again as soon as demand improves a bit.

The only reasonably priced thing was beer. Which is s good thing, because given that the main attraction is the crowd itself, things would be pretty dead if everyone is sober.

Why do people actually pay to get in? I'll re-phrase that... does anyone pay from their own pocket to get in?

I am not closely involved, so I don't know what has happened over the last few years to explain the greed.
One thing is for sure that they have a grass roots fan base that will keep coming for years to come. I saw many first time converts. I remember the first time I was drunk and imagine that the sevens would have been the ideal setting.
Is it profit driven event managers? Someone please explain.

benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Sevens Dec 06, 2010
Hey man whats this "Sevens" , is it a club of some kind >
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

A rugby thing, majority of the non white population isn't bothered with it.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

OK, to put this into perspective for the non-whites.
Cricket is your game isn't it.
Imagine having to pay 230 dirhams to watch some local labour camp teams play cricket under the Al Quoz power lines. Then get charged 25 dirhams for a chicken shawama.
Sound fun? What? No?..
OK, add about 12-13 pints of beer to the equation. Ahhh, thats better.
These guys start looking pretty dam good now don't they.
But then again, so does Rock Bottom after about the same amount of beer.
That's how the Rugby Sevens works.
And the whites are stupid enough to keep forking out the money for it year upon year.
benwj

And that is exactly why the non white crowd doesn't bother :D
Some wannabes do show up just to be with the in crowd but thats another story all toghter.
desertdudeshj

@benwj - I can see why your ticked off, they're really ripping you whities off

@DesertMan - haha, maybe they're all doing they're newbie drills ;)
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sorry you got ripped, Benwj. I have never been to the sevens for the reasons you describe.

Question for you guys: I don't follow Rugby and Cricket is just way too boring to watch. Am I white or not? People tell me I am a honkey, but I don't see colour, so I just believe them.

I am pretty sure the Samoan, Fijian and Maori Rugby players might take offence to colour-coding Rugby. Just for poops and giggles, have a look at the names on the Canadian Cricket "team". Good for a chuckle.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Wheres the question ? :D
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:Wheres the question ? :D

Given the parameters....am I white or not? (It was kinda written just like that in my post)
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

But you already answered it yourself, ok fine your creamy off white at best ! Happy :D
desertdudeshj

dubaidog wrote:Sorry you got ripped, Benwj. I have never been to the sevens for the reasons you describe.

I didn't get ripped, but whoever paid for the ticket certainly did. But I do feel for the people who paid out of their own pocket. Its such a rip off and everything is overpriced... except grog. I went down to the village area where I discovered that everything was a ripoff and there wasn't even that much entertainment as expected. Anything worth going to was off limits or an extra fee.
Why do you go?
1. To see aquaintances, friends or local teams play? I don't think you should have to pay 230 dirhams to see this. RIP OFF.
2. To have a few drinks with friends and a bit of fun. Once again you should not have to pay 230 dirhams to do this. RIP OFF.
At this point I would like to point out that I have no problem with people getting blind drunk if that is what it takes.
3. To see a handful of international games. OK they are at the top of their game, but it isn't test rugby and at the end of the day is like comparing A1 to F1 as far as bragging rights. No so much a rip off... but still RIP OFF.
Not sure why else you'd want to go... Oh one more as DDS said
4. Because that is what everyone else does, and it is the best thing ever, and you won't hear a bad word against it.
Honestly, did you pay for your ticket?

-- Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:11 am --

dubaidog wrote:

Given the parameters....am I white or not? (It was kinda written just like that in my post)

You don't follow Rugby and yet you still go to the sevens?
I rest my case.
benwj

dubaidog wrote:I have never been to the sevens

Please order you case to stop resting and get up ! :shock:
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:
dubaidog wrote:I have never been to the sevens

Please order you case to stop resting and get up ! :shock:

DDS you don't like footie, you don't like cricket, you don't like rugby, It doesn't leave much. Do you like yourself??
Bethsmum

desertdudeshj

Luuuurve!

-- Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:45 am --

Bethsmum wrote:Luuuurve!

You don't appear to be a lounge lizzard DDS
Bethsmum

dubaidog wrote:

From my reading have given the answer many times already.
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Many of the spectators go to the Sevens...to watch rugby!

Agreed it has become an expensive hobby, but someone has to pay for the hire of all that scaffold from Al Laith.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

I actually have to disagree. The price of the Sevens tickets have stayed the same for the last 3 years! If you wait and don't buy them, there are always people trying to off load them for half the price a few days before, or you can rock up and buy it from people wandering round outside trying to seel spare tickets at a reduced price.

Hey for 3 days entertainment, it's cheaper than the World Cup or the F1!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Yeah but the F1 and world cup are international events staring big names. Not Al Quoz Vs Karama ! :D
desertdudeshj

Last time I looked I was pretty darn white for someone living in the sun and have never ever watched a game of cricket. And I don't have a clue about rugby. Totally not in my hemisphere.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

dubaidog wrote:Question for you guys: I don't follow Rugby and Cricket is just way too boring to watch. Am I white or not? People tell me I am a honkey, but I don't see colour, so I just believe them.

Its funny that people with all concentrations of melanin in their skin, play both rugby and cricket, there isnt one specific sport in the world that is dominated by one particular ethnicity besides sumo wrestling ofcourse.
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

zubber wrote:
dubaidog wrote:Question for you guys: I don't follow Rugby and Cricket is just way too boring to watch. Am I white or not? People tell me I am a honkey, but I don't see colour, so I just believe them.

Its funny that people with all concentrations of melanin in their skin, play both rugby and cricket, there isnt one specific sport in the world that is dominated by one particular ethnicity besides sumo wrestling ofcourse.

Have you ever watched US basketball or football???
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Ice Hockey
desertdudeshj

Bora Bora wrote:Last time I looked I was pretty darn white for someone living in the sun and have never ever watched a game of cricket. And I don't have a clue about rugby. Totally not in my hemisphere.

Americans, always complaining about no left turns, lack of American Football and how come the rest of world just does not get it ?
desertdudeshj

Bora Bora wrote:Have you ever watched US basketball or football???

I dont know what your getting at ?

Sure football maybe be dominantly american but I was referring to ethnicity, american sports are dominated by americans who are of color origin, Icehokey example by desertman is very good illustration of the multi ethnic dominance in it, mostly by canadians and slovakians
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

desertdudeshj wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:Last time I looked I was pretty darn white for someone living in the sun and have never ever watched a game of cricket. And I don't have a clue about rugby. Totally not in my hemisphere.

Americans, always complaining about no left turns, lack of American Football and how come the rest of world just does not get it ?

Lack of American Football? Do your homework before you open that hole under your nose.

American football is played in almost every continent on the planet including North and South America, Asia, Europe and the Pacific Rim nations. The International Federation of American Football is the official international governing body of American Football and oversees 45 member organizations. Beginning in 1999, the International Federation of American Football has also sponsored a world cup of American football with Japan taking the honors in both 1999 and 2003.

American football is also gaining popularity in Europe. In 1991, the National Football League backed a European league called the World League of Football. From that emerged NFL Europe, a six-team league that serves as a spring developmental league for National Football League teams in the United States. Five of NFL Europe's teams are based in Germany and one is in the Netherlands. The National Football League not only uses the NFL Europe to develop new players, but also to develop and test new rules and regulations.

Your ignorance is yours, and yours alone. And you wear it so well. :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Awesome, now you have cut and paste skills aswell. Cool.

http://americanfootballtopics.blogspot. ... tries.html

Since they play Croquet in more than one country it must be the most awesomest and bestest sport in the world aswell ! :roll:

World is bigger than your 2 kmsq in Wichita :wink:
desertdudeshj

zubber wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:Have you ever watched US basketball or football???

I dont know what your getting at ?

Sure football maybe be dominantly american but I was referring to ethnicity, american sports are dominated by americans who are of color origin, Icehokey example by desertman is very good illustration of the multi ethnic dominance in it, mostly by canadians and slovakians

Are you talking about ethnicity or nationality? How does the US basketball and football differ from Canadian ice hockey and your reference to multi ethnic dominance? I don't understand what you mean by "color origin". If you refer to ethnic dominance, African (ethnicity) Americans (nationality) dominate US basketball and football.

-- Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:38 pm --

Well DDS, it appears that you read the entire blog!!! Good for you. And you also learned that Wichita is bigger than you thought. See, you can learn something new every day. :wink: You need to travel Dude, and see some of the world. There is soooo much to see. Hopefully you will learn that life doesn't begin and end in the desert.

My cut and paste certainly had more substance than the photos you constantly put up, I guess as a fill-in for your lack of words.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:Are you talking about ethnicity or nationality? How does the US basketball and football differ from Canadian ice hockey and your reference to multi ethnic dominance? I don't understand what you mean by "color origin". If you refer to ethnic dominance, African (ethnicity) Americans (nationality) dominate US basketball and football.

Yes "color origin" was a reference to ethnicity NOT nationality. And Im with you on the point that american sports are dominated by AMERICANS who are ACTUALLY from a MULTI ETHNIC AND CULTURAL background.
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

zubber wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:Are you talking about ethnicity or nationality? How does the US basketball and football differ from Canadian ice hockey and your reference to multi ethnic dominance? I don't understand what you mean by "color origin". If you refer to ethnic dominance, African (ethnicity) Americans (nationality) dominate US basketball and football.

Yes "color origin" was a reference to ethnicity NOT nationality. And Im with you on the point that american sports are dominated by AMERICANS who are ACTUALLY from a MULTI ETHNIC AND CULTURAL background.

Errrr, is there some reason for you to feel you need to SHOUT!!!!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat