Skydiving And Base Jumping

Topic locked
Skydiving and base jumping Nov 29, 2010
OK couldnt find a thread on this topic here.

Who here has actually done sky diving in skydive dubai ? What's it like ?

What about base-jumping ? Are regular people allowed to do that stuff ?

If regular folk cant do either (by regular i mean you drive a toyota) , what about bunjee jumping ? do they got that here ?

I'm totally psyched :bounce: :bounce: , after learning UAE got this !

zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Skydiving and base jumping Nov 29, 2010
Dubai Knight is your man for that - he's a regular at the drop zone! No base jumping here though.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Dubai Knight is your man for that - he's a regular at the drop zone! No base jumping here though.

much obliged ma'am
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGymL27f ... r_embedded

Tandem jump starting from 850 in UAQ 1000 with video
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

desertdudeshj wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGymL27fqLY&feature=player_embedded

Tandem jump starting from 850 in UAQ 1000 with video

Thanks B

*Beep* *beep* *beep* , I just cant *beep* wait to do this. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sorry guys the Aero club in UAQ shut down a while a go, they don't do it anymore!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Sorry guys the Aero club in UAQ shut down a while a go, they don't do it anymore!

What about skydive DUBAI ? I saw their ads on youtube , and their website is functional ?
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Yes, they're the guys that run from the Drop zone over the Palm - as I said DK is your man for all the info/costs/times - PM him!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Yes, they're the guys that run from the Drop zone over the Palm - as I said DK is your man for all the info/costs/times - PM him!

ROGER THAT !
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Skydiving and base jumping Dec 01, 2010
Sorry...was on a gig and not been here for a couple of days!

Yes, Skydive Dubai is the place to go! It is a fully licensed and affiliated USPA (United States Parachute Association) drop zone and has recently been granted its student teaching clearance so you can train there. it is wholly owned by HH Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed Al Maktoum (Crown Prince of Dubai) as he is a very talented and keen skydiver and is often there when official engagements allow.

Location is at the Palm end of JBR and is absolutely awesome. The city views on the way up and particularly on the way down are simply fantastic. The facility is comprehensive and well run with 2 turbine aircraft that can whisk you up to 13,000 feet in about 12 minutes. There are opportunities for helicopter jumps from time to time.

If you just wish to experience the thrill, you can book a tandem jump where you are strapped to the front of a qualified instructor, who does all the work whilst you enjoy the ride. Cost is AED 1200. An additional jumper with helmet mounted camera can record the entire experience through the training process (10 minutes) getting on the plane, the ride to altitude and then the jump including the landing (often quite amusing!) for an additional AED 500.

If the bug gets you, then you can now book and AFF (Accelerated Free Fall) course, which takes you through the theory and practicals of getting your basic skydivers A license. This involves a series of 8 jumps minimum, in which you learn and apply the skills needed to control your body in freefall and safely deploy and land a square ram air parachute. Your first 3 jumps are taken with 2 instructors who are jumping with you and stabilising you if required. Once you get the basics, one instructor stays with you for the rest of the jumps and then passes you out to continue for a series of 10 observed 'consolidation' jumps where you are totally on your own. A spell in the iFly windtunnel at Mirdif City Centre is invaluable to help with the tricky problem of accurate bodyflight and can speed up the learning curve.

Once qualified, you can basically do your own thing and gradually you will start to jump with other people and learn new skills from formation jumps to freefly (head down or sitfly) canopy piloting skills, aerial gymnastics or wingsuit.

You need to contact the dropzone to confirm the price of the course as it has only just been introduced.

BASE jumping is not actually illegal, however you will probably be arrested for doing it here as the platform you jump from (Building, Aerial, Span or Earth) may well belong to someone else and this is a tresspass. The parachutes are slightly different from the ones used in regular freefall and the chances of you bumping into the scenery are infinitely higher. My advice? Get good at regular skydiving, then get off to Norway where they can legally jump from a cliff in a fjord. Take a good instructor and comprehensive life insurance policy!

Bungee jumping comes here from time to time as its seen as a visiting attraction. If you want to try it, get a ticket down to New Zealand, where it was invented, and jump with A.J.Hackett, who are the biggest and best. Queenstown in South Island is the adrenaline capital of NZ and there are many gorges and bridges to hurl yourself off. I have a mate who has done over 900 jumps and is heading for his 1000th!

Hope that helps?

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

DubaiKight - Thank you for your detailed replies , they were very informative.

But I still dont understand, why you need a license to do this ? Are you saying a license is required when you intend to do jumps on you own ? or are you saying this some legal garbage everyone has go through ?

Do you mind sharing, your first jump? I am curious about the after effects ? Any nightmares ? Loss in libido etc ?
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

zubber wrote:DubaiKight - Thank you for your detailed replies , they were very informative.

But I still dont understand, why you need a license to do this ? Are you saying a license is required when you intend to do jumps on you own ? or are you saying this some legal garbage everyone has go through ?

Do you mind sharing, your first jump? I am curious about the after effects ? Any nightmares ? Loss in libido etc ?

Human flight became reality in 1783 with the advent of the hot air balloon. The first successful parachute descent was made in 1789 from one of those balloons.

In exactly the same way you need to qualify to fly an airplane, you need to qualify to fly a parachute. It is a sport with inherent danger to life and limb however the safety record is very high due to the level of training provided from over 200 years of human experience. Would you get in an Airbus if you knew the pilot had never flown one before?

Its an internationally recognised license issued by the FAI (Federation Aviation Internationale) and certainly not just legal garbage. When you sign up for a tandem, the disclaimers and forms you must complete are nearly 3 pages long. Your training constitutes a briefing from the instructor, who has gone through a very intense and rigorous programme in order to qualify to jump with you: A minimum of 500 solo jumps, ratings, tandem qualifications, test and examinations. If something should go wrong, he is your only hope to save your sorry a$$!

You cannot do jumps on your own without having gone through the AFF or a slower, more rigorous, progression training programme. We would love to take you up and just chuck you out, but as the chances of you killing yourself or someone else are pretty much 100%, then the centre gets closed down, it ain't going to happen.

As for the experience: its like nothing you have ever done before in your life. There is very little sense of falling, it is more like flying. Most people I know who have done it get what I can the '24 hour smile' it gets in there and you can't wipe it off. You are bound to dream about it, but not nightmares.

Loss in libido? Only if you get your 'bits' stuck in the harness when the parachute opens!! I can confirm it tends to enhance it significantly! But after a day jumping, you would be too tired to do anything about it!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Fantastic information :) :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: , I'll take your suggestion of getting that license, hopefully those courses you mentioned are affordable to the regular folk :lol:
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai Sports ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Sports Forum