Driving Styles

Topic locked
Driving Styles Nov 15, 2010
Very interesting morning. Here's the different driving styles I experienced today, as well as a few others recently.

SZR - Man driving with mobile in left had held to RIGHT ear. Wondering: wouldn't it be easier just to put it to your left ear. And by the way, if didn't help with all that lane changing you were doing.

Two lane road: Driving down the broken white line taking up two lanes. Tapping horn to wave them over. Wondering: Do they think it's the yellow brick road?

Driver on Mobile in 80 k/m on mobile - fairly light traffic. Wondering: Do you actually think slowing down to 30 k/m is safe driving????

Ladies in cars waaaaaaaay to big for them to handle - can't park, driving on edge of broken white line. Wondering: Why are you driving something you can't handle?

Going down a one way two lane road: First: lady in her big 4x4 going in the wrong direction waving ME over to get out of her way?? What??? Wondering: Am I in her way? Is she going against traffic because she doesn't want to be inconvenienced to get back to he underground parking which is before her building??

Girl talking on mobile walking very slow to cross a one way two lane road. Wondering: Why is she looking at where the traffic is going, and not where the traffic is coming from. Action: Slowly get close and blast horn. Result: Jumped two feet off the ground and ran across the road. Yes sunshine, it was probably mean of me, but best to look in direction of oncoming traffic. Who cares where it's going?

Mirdiff last Thursday: Crazy crazy aggressive drivers. Cowboys and dizzy women. Woman driving with housemaid in backseat with son around age 5, son around age 2-1/2 to 3 standing on passenger seat with back to windshield. Tried to pull up to get mommy's attention but she was too busy eating. Thought I would pull on my seat beat and she might get the message. All I could see was her stopping short and that child going through the windshield head first. Cutting into lanes seems to be the norm there. When I got home I had to pry from fingers off of the steering wheel. I didn't realize how tense I was!!! Mirdiff was bad enough, but I think the drivers from Formula 1 were doing practice runs on Business Bay.

I know we all experience this, but just had to vent.

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Driving Styles Nov 15, 2010
Bora Bora wrote:Man driving with mobile in left had held to RIGHT ear. Wondering: wouldn't it be easier just to put it to your left ear.

He probably needs his right hand free for shifting.

Hate to say it, but Germans are the best drivers.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Flying Dutchman wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:Man driving with mobile in left had held to RIGHT ear. Wondering: wouldn't it be easier just to put it to your left ear.

Highly doubt it was manual. And if so, it would make sense. He would have to take his right hand off the steering wheel to shift, but not necessary to indicate he was changing lanes constantly.

TBH, I think I am an excellent driver. When I would do a bit of a run with other cars they were shocked when they would pull up (or I on those rare occasions!) and saw a woman behind the wheel!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Flying Dutchman wrote:

Ohhh I can't agree with that one. I lived in Germany for about 16+years and learnt to drive there. The Germans are arrogant, they make no allowances for learners or anybody else. The drive around with their feet firmly stuck to the floor. They haven't learnt the art of queueing AND they pinch all the sunbeds. Plus they are all miserable, nice country tho'.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Driving Styles Nov 16, 2010
Flying Dutchman wrote:He probably needs his right hand free for shifting.

Aah now there's a sign of a performance driver, you need a tiptronic or manual box for full control of your vehicle and everybody knows that MEN make the best drivers, whatever their Nationalities :lol:
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Flying Dutchman wrote:

How do you know he was German?

-- Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:19 am --

Bethsmum wrote:
Flying Dutchman wrote:

Ohhh I can't agree with that one. I lived in Germany for about 16+years and learnt to drive there. The Germans are arrogant, they make no allowances for learners or anybody else. The drive around with their feet firmly stuck to the floor. They haven't learnt the art of queueing AND they pinch all the sunbeds. Plus they are all miserable, nice country tho'.

Stereotype much BM? Not ALL Germans are like this!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Most of them are I'm afraid. I spent long enough in their very beautiful country to make an informed decision.
Bethsmum

That might be them in their home country BM, but they're certainly not like that hen they've lived abroad for a long time - that I can tell you.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dillon wrote:

Aah now there's a sign of a performance driver, you need a tiptronic or manual box for full control of your vehicle and everybody knows that MEN make the best drivers, whatever their Nationalities :lol:

Dillon, men's ego's are very fragile when it comes to women drivers. I can overtake a woman and she doesn't appear to have a problem with it, but put my foot down in my BM and overtake a man? I often look in my rear view mirror and see a little man with two horns, face pressed up to the windscreen mouthing obsenities. Oh the joy. That's the time I usually touch my brakes.
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:
Dillon wrote:

Dillon, men's ego's are very fragile when it comes to women drivers. I can overtake a woman and she doesn't appear to have a problem with it, but put my foot down in my BM and overtake a man? I often look in my rear view mirror and see a little man with two horns, face pressed up to the windscreen mouthing obsenities. Oh the joy. That's the time I usually touch my brakes.

Yeah whatever Dillion! My instructor taught me racing gear changes when I was learning. I can tell you for a fact that I can out drive most guys on the roads here and the HATE it! They can only drive fast in a straight line, but a corner in the way and they're screwed. Years of caning it down winding country lanes has its advantages.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

We need all you prospective Formula 1 ladies round where I live to teach your Sisters your good habits, at least that would allow us to get to where we are going without any serious elevation of our BP.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:We need all you prospective Formula 1 ladies round where I live to teach your Sisters your good habits, at least that would allow us to get to where we are going without any serious elevation of our BP.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

LOL anytime Sage.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

I have to say that caning it down country lanes is the most stupid and irresponsible thing to do. I don't have a problem with people putting their foot down on the appropriate roads but country lanes where livestock etc can be wandering is just plain daft. How do you know what you will come across round the next bend? I once saw some joker overtake my youngest daughter riding her horse along a country lane, he nearly had a head on collision with a car coming over the brow of the hill. That would have been two cars, two passengers, a horse and a child taken out in five seconds.
Bethsmum

Oh get a life BM, they were closed of for competitions with no oncoming traffic. Get over yourself.

FYI, I also rode horses, had livestock etc etc.

Take a chill pill.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Bethsmum wrote:Dillon, men's ego's are very fragile when it comes to women drivers.

Let's not forget directions!!!! After going around and passing the same thing three times, and secretly admitting to be lost, rather than cave in and accept the directions given to them by that woman sitting next to him, they need to wave someone down or pull into a petrol station, only for the person they are asking confirms what the woman was telling him. :lol:

(Do I smell smoke??)
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

LOL doesn't that drive you insane! Men refuse to ask directions to where they're going, I swear most can't read maps either.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Listen, many still can't follow the microwave directions on a box. Somehow manage to destroy their dinner or it's half cooked!!! :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Chocoholic wrote:Oh get a life BM, they were closed of for competitions with no oncoming traffic. Get over yourself.

Take a chill pill.

I am so pleased you clarified what was a particularly stupid statement. I must admit i had began to wonder if you were old enough to drive.
Bethsmum

I need to have some kind of electronic toy on my dashboard that gives sound effects for missiles and machine gun fire in order to manage my road rage. :P
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Yup, I smell smoke..................
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bethsmum wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Oh get a life BM, they were closed of for competitions with no oncoming traffic. Get over yourself.

Take a chill pill.

I am so pleased you clarified what was a particularly stupid statement. I must admit i had began to wonder if you were old enough to drive.

Pfff I was able to drive years before I was old enough to take my test - thanks very much!

You also need to learn to read between the lines BM and not necessarily take everything at face value. I don't have to give you every tiny bit of info. And stop being ggressive and rude!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Bora Bora wrote:Listen, many still can't follow the microwave directions on a box. Somehow manage to destroy their dinner or it's half cooked!!! :lol:

Hey Watch it :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:Listen, many still can't follow the microwave directions on a box. Somehow manage to destroy their dinner or it's half cooked!!! :lol:

LOL sadly true in a lot of cases Sage :?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

sage & onion wrote:

But, but,.................I thought you only did BBQ!!!! and learned to take the meat off just before it was cremated. :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Chocoholic wrote:
Bethsmum wrote:

Take a chill pill.

Pfff I was able to drive years before I was old enough to take my test - thanks very much!

You also need to learn to read between the lines BM and not necessarily take everything at face value. I don't have to give you every tiny bit of info. And stop being ggressive and rude!

LOL! yes teacher.
Bethsmum

Bora Bora wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

But, but,.................I thought you only did BBQ!!!! and learned to take the meat off just before it was cremated. :lol:

Actually I am a reasonable cook, and my BBQ delights are certainly never cremated.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Guess I'll have to take your word on that Sage............... :wink:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Chocoholic wrote: Men refuse to ask directions to where they're going

Very true.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Driving Styles Nov 17, 2010
Flying Dutchman wrote:
Chocoholic wrote: Men refuse to ask directions to where they're going

Very true.

That would be why men were the first to find the North and South Poles!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat