Are "we" Taking Ourselves Too Seriously...

Topic locked
Re: Are "we" taking ourselves too seriously... Nov 14, 2010
By Kanelli:

"Dubai is ovveeerrr!" "Chubs" "Loon" "Infidel" - couldn't anyone take offense depending on their own sensitivities? Moderators would have to have set criteria. In the end we are all grown ups and should be able to handle a certain level of "naming" or criticism of oneself or topics of discussion. However, a while back one forumer said that Chocs should die - a direct verbal threat. Was he banned? No, when I complained by PM, a mod told me the forumer was joking. I checked the context and didn't see that it was lighthearted joke at all. If I had been a moderator and removed the post and sent a warning to the forumer, maybe people would have jumped on me for "bad moderating". Mods don't have an easy job, but this place will deteriorate if left to trolls and bad behaviour from regulars or even other Mods.[/quote]

On the example you used, a moderator has to take into consideration what a forumer thinks is offensive and not let their personal judgment interfere. Wishing someone to die is totally wrong. What if it was directed to the mod that you complained to? Would it been seen as a "joke", possibly not, depending on how it came about. I would have removed it - call it bad moderating or not, it would have been removed as there is no place for that on a forum. On a personal level what one mod doesn't find offensive, another mod might. But mods should not act on personal thoughts/feelings. If there were to be proper moderation, mods need to be more objective and less subjective in their thinking - as well as putting their likes and dislikes of people aside in order to make a formative decision. I will also add that there are some things that mods should identify as being inappropriate without it having to be pointed out to them.

Of course this is is only my opinion but, hey, what do I know? :drunken:

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Kanelli, I think you have a point (well, I think you were trying to make a point) that what is "offensive" to some is not to others...

I doubt anyone's 'civility' or "morality' or sense of "fairness" etc. will be in anyway changed by what a forumer (word?) posts. The last time I was offended in any forum was: NEVER and will remain so. Apparently some here know each other outside the forum and that adds to the "fighting" but only because the ones who know each other will naturally want to "defend" the poster - but that would not be fair just because another poster is not in the "circle" / "core" whatever.

Now speaking of "offensive"; did you...

-- Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:40 pm --

It seems like there is a lot posted about "mods' and moderating. There must be something there...though I have not issues.

For years I have belonged to 2 "professional" forums (in that unlike Dubai Forums they are specific to a particular profession/hobby) and could not tell you who the moderators are or remember any complaints about moderators – the formula that works there is that anytime anyone posts something “offensive” it is just ignored (works like a charm!)

Anyways :roll:
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Ambassador wrote:
It seems like there is a lot posted about "mods' and moderating. There must be something there...though I have not issues.

And the majority don't and just that a choosen few had some actions taken against them by numerous complaints over trashing the whole place, and now they and their "friends" just can't come to grips about it and will endlessly "debate" this to no end as you can see the number of threads opend up and I'm sure there will be more and interjections and objections spilling over into other threads aswell. In a childish crusade to prove their innocence and claim wrong doing and favouritism.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

desertdudeshj wrote:
Ambassador wrote:

And the majority don't and just that a choosen few had some actions taken against them by numerous complaints over trashing the whole place, and now they and their "friends" just can't come to grips about it and will endlessly "debate" this to no end as you can see the number of threads opend up and I'm sure there will be more and interjections and objections spilling over into other threads aswell. In a childish crusade to prove their innocence and claim wrong doing and favouritism.

:lol: Hmmm is this the so called "baiting"? Am I the "friend"?

Who is the majority? how many members are active and how many even comment abt their major satisfaction of Moderation!?
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

melika969 wrote:
desertdudeshj wrote:
Ambassador wrote:

:lol: Hmmm is this the so called "baiting"? Am I the "friend"?

Who is the majority? how many members are active and how many even comment abt their major satisfaction of Moderation!?

The good example of "baiting" in your particular case Mel, was actually was observated and posted by Kanelli.
arniegang

^^^Well my post has nothing to do with Chocs and I m sure it would never lead to a fight with her.

So you dont see the post of DDS as "baiting'?
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Its in Kanelli's post, it is quite clear who she is talking about Mel . I did not mention any name as too whom K was refering too - it was you Mel, so please not put words or names in my mouth that i have not spoken.
arniegang

arniegang wrote:Its in Kanelli's post, it is quite clear who she is talking about Mel . I did not mention any name as too whom K was refering too - it was you Mel, so please not put words or names in my mouth that i have not spoken.

Arnie, I m afraid that you did not actually read K's post, before using it as a sample of baiting, because she says :
melika, you think you are making a funny joke, and some people might laugh, but then again maybe chocs will be offended and this thread will be filled with bickering between the two of you and any others who are game for a scrap. Will other forumers want to read here if so many threads deteriorate into personal bickering?

She is saying that Chocs might be offended, I said I dont think so, me and Chocs survive for more than one year with no fights, so based on my experience it wont lead to a fight between us.

Still, I didnt understand was DDS's post considered as "baiting" or not?
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

desertdudeshj wrote:
Ambassador wrote:

Please do not be coy - BM and I were the "chosen" few. We have done nothing but have a laugh about it along with others. Now you might see getting banned as the ultimate slap in the face. I think I can speak on behalf of BM that she and I are not the type to go in a corner to lick our wounds and wimp off like an injured pup or go on a rant. Neither of us have tried to prove innocence or wrong doing - we don't have to point out the obvious. As for favoritism, there seems to be a strong indication that is exists. And you know what, who cares?? I don't. Not only do you comment on things you don't bother to read, you comment on non-existent situations.

Your post can be construed as baiting me and BM. I for one don't appreciate it and would request that in the future try showing some restraint and up your game. Just because you can get away with doing or saying things that others can't, doesn't mean you should.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Are "we" Taking Ourselves Too Seriously... Nov 14, 2010
Yes, it is baiting, but he does have valid points. You defend and say, "We're just having a laugh." Can some of you seriously not see that there have been far too many cases of your sense of humour not translating well and threads have been run off course and there has been too much bickering?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:Yes, it is baiting, but he does have valid points. You defend and say, "We're just having a laugh." Can some of you seriously not see that there have been far too many cases of your sense of humour not translating well and threads have been run off course and there has been too much bickering?

Kanelli, the person who says put it to rest, has to bring it back up and make exaggerated, incorrect or blatantly wrong statements. One could say that they were made to justify his participation in what happened. What happened happened and trust me, it was not a biggie. Because he finds it a big deal, doesn't mean other people would have the same reaction. I have bigger things in life to lose sleep over than getting a ban.

I stand corrected - and should speak for myself - I'm having a laugh. I've had no bickering, nor have I baited. And I have made it a point to avoid him because he's trouble as far as I am concerned, and I can safely say that I am not alone in that assessment. I can very well speak for myself and when someone is wrong about my actions or motives, I will correct them, which is what I did. If BM feels that a correction is required, I'm sure she will ring in.

Baiting is baiting. You know when someone is talking and they get to a point and say "but". That "but" basically trashes everything else said prior to it. And when someone starts with or inserts bait, anything said after, regardless if it's right or wrong, does not excuse the fact that there was baiting. Very well could have made his points without throwing in the bait, but he is constantly baiting people - because he knows he can.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

kanelli wrote:Yes, it is baiting, but he does have valid points. You defend and say, "We're just having a laugh." Can some of you seriously not see that there have been far too many cases of your sense of humour not translating well and threads have been run off course and there has been too much bickering?

Once again i totally agree with you K - you ole' wise you
:wink:
arniegang

arniegang wrote:

Once again i totally agree with you K - you ole' wise you
:wink:

In view of your agreement with K, does your agreement include the baiting? Will you be addressing this with the baiter???
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

the point has now run its course now Bora

again, time to let go now i think is best.
arniegang

desertdudeshj wrote:
Ambassador wrote:

You'll know all about that one.
Bethsmum

arniegang wrote:the point has now run its course now Bora

again, time to let go now i think is best.

I agree, the point has run its course. But my point was will the baiting be addressed?? I think its a fair question.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Are "we" Taking Ourselves Too Seriously... Nov 15, 2010
I've PMed Mel because it seems I misinterpreted her one post. Arniegang also interpreted it the same way as me and perhaps others. This is an example of how sometimes our intentions of communicating something come across the wrong way because of how it was written.

BB, sorry if you didn't like the "but". I hope that desertdude understands that baiting is not good and he shouldn't be doing it.

I still get the feeling that some of you think that you having a good laugh at the expense of forum harmony is worthwhile. It is possible to have fun here without waiting for a chance to poke a stick at one's favourite target or turn every thread into a yuk yuk event to prove one is so witty.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Are "we" taking ourselves too seriously... Nov 15, 2010
Ok now... I find the 'complainers' more annoying than the so-called 'baiters'. If you think someone is "baiting" ignore it (i.e. don't "bite") and move on...try to open up an "intersting" thread instead of "reprimanding" the "baiter", blah, blah, blah.

*runs for cover*
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Why is this thread even still going? The points really have been exhausted, it'll just go round and round. Different people will always have different interpretations over what 'baiting', 'humour' etc is. Just be more mindful BEFORE you hit the 'post' button is all I will say.

Now really isn't it time we said....

End of! - To this topic.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

:)
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

LOL
Bethsmum

Ambassador wrote:Ok now... I find the 'complainers' more annoying than the so-called 'baiters'. If you think someone is "baiting" ignore it (i.e. don't "bite") and move on...try to open up an "intersting" thread instead of "reprimanding" the "baiter", blah, blah, blah.

*runs for cover*

you better run fast Ambassador! :lol: I m tired of people who get tired! :wink:
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Yes Mel, it's tiresome isn't it?
Bethsmum

melika969 wrote:
Ambassador wrote:Ok now... I find the 'complainers' more annoying than the so-called 'baiters'. If you think someone is "baiting" ignore it (i.e. don't "bite") and move on...try to open up an "intersting" thread instead of "reprimanding" the "baiter", blah, blah, blah.

*runs for cover*

you better run fast Ambassador! :lol: I m tired of people who get tired! :wink:

I did not say tired :P
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

:lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Thread locked!!!

(Only kidding)
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Are "we" taking ourselves too seriously... Nov 16, 2010

*runs for cover*

Ambassador,

Good suggestion. Sage and i for now will make more effort to "spilt threads" in future, so the splited off topic will become a new thread and we will post it in FC.

There is another option we have, but it causes confusing. We can edit an offending thread in our holding forum when it is reported whether be a single post or whole thread. The problem here is that, to anyone other than a Mod no one can see the whole thread, because although still in say General you guls and guys cannot see it as if removed. Obviously then we get peeps saying "where's my thread".

Both is quite a time consuming for Mods, but we shall make effort as much as our time allows us.

Can i also add another suggestion. Anyone can report direct to a Mod any offending posts if he or she feels the need and, if necessary and if minor, we are happy to individual make Edits within a post.

Apology to go on, but forgot a request and your help will save Mods a lot time editing offering posts. If anyone wants to report a post, can we ask everyone (if they can remember) to please try not to keep including the "offending post" when you reply in thread using "quote". It if this a done 2 or 3/4 times, it means we have to EDIT all 2 or 3/4 posts after edit the original. If i havent explained this very well, please feels free to pm me.

Hope this helps.
arniegang

Re: Are "we" taking ourselves too seriously... Nov 16, 2010
@ arniegang,

Here is a suggestion; what if the mods did nothing for a week (no editing, deleting, moving, etc.), exept for deleting spams (easy to spot :wink: ).

Since there is only a small group of posters I will say that nothing will happen to the forum. It may make it better as the baiters will know that their posts will not generate a "reaction" or a "reprimand" from mods. Or perhaps I am being naive as it appears that everyone of the regulars is a mod so that mod talk/intervention is what generates the posts.

To recap, doing nothing might be best. What will happen?
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Re: Are "we" Taking Ourselves Too Seriously... Nov 16, 2010
Well it has been like this for a quite a while now with very minimal intervention other than the few threads going to FC. I personally had no problem with it and I don't think many did either. But then someone went about asking for it in a quest for a better change and then did like it when change was brought about and another can of worms was opened

Some people even blamed the mods for being lazy and not doing enough. Just goes to show you can't keep all the people happy all the time.

But it was starting to get way out of hand and needed to some discipline.
desertdudeshj

Re: Are "we" Taking Ourselves Too Seriously... Nov 16, 2010
desertdudeshj wrote:Well it has been like this for a quite a while now with very minimal intervention other than the few threads going to FC. I personally had no problem with it and I don't think many did either. But then someone went about asking for it in a quest for a better change and then did like it when change was brought about and another can of worms was opened

Some people even blamed the mods for being lazy and not doing enough. Just goes to show you can't keep all the people happy all the time.

But it was starting to get way out of hand and needed to some discipline.

FFS!!! put the wooden spoon down and man up and stop being coy. "Someone"?!??! Would that be me??? Second time you did it. Get over yourself will you??

And please.............read before hitting the submit button or reread after so you can edit. Which is it did or didn't???!!! Stop blaming your keyboard for your stupidity.

And FYI, this is not Dubai News at 5. Every time you post you have to give a commentary. "Well folks, in case you missed the highlights of the week, let me summarize them for you...............blah, blah, blah."

Everyone seems to have gotten past the issue, can you MOVE ON!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat