Are "we" Taking Ourselves Too Seriously...

Topic locked
Are "we" taking ourselves too seriously... Nov 12, 2010
I typed "we" meaning a members of the forum...

What is this about 24 hr or whatever period banning?

What is that going to acomplish?

I recognize that there are different nationalities, races, religions, religions, ethnicities, cultures, genders, sexual preferences, etc. in the forum so that the "risk" of "offensive" posts may be high but here is what I think:

a. The forum is frequented by and the poster are, by my judgement, "adults".
b. All the posters are Western or Western thinking or educated (I dare anyone to pove otherwise).
c. This is not a topic/profession focused forum so thaa essentiallly anyone can say anything...
d. I SUSPECT SOME OF THE POSTERS KNWO EACH OTHER IN THE "REAL' WORLD AND HAVE A "CLICK OF FRIENDS". I SAY TO THEM: PLEASE USE FACEBOOK IT IS EASY WWW.FACEBOOK.COM OR WWW.TWITTER.COM.

My experience with "banning" is that it no more than "chest pounding" by "moderators" who are often just "tools" to the forum "owner"...

Eid Mubarak...

Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Re: Are "we" Taking Ourselves Too Seriously... Nov 12, 2010
Facebook is banned here! I need other ways :lol: :wink: Is it ok if we use gmail? :D

ps. I m not western and not western educated! (and what s the difference anyway?)
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

melika969 wrote:Facebook is banned here! I need other ways :lol: :wink: Is it ok if we use gmail? :D

ps. I m not western and not western educated! (and what s the difference anyway?)

Based on previous posts I suppose by "here" you mean "Iran"...

There is difference between those who are "western educated" or "western wanna-be's" and "true" midlle eaterns or "non-westernres"... It just is...
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

melika969 wrote:Facebook is banned here! I need other ways :lol: :wink: Is it ok if we use gmail? :D

you are excused melilka. I don't think the topic is directed at you.

ps. you are not western, but western educated since you have learnt english.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

benwj wrote:ps. you are not western, but western educated since you have learnt english.

Try telling that to the employers and head hunters here :D
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Are "we" taking ourselves too seriously... Nov 13, 2010
Yes, there are definate pluses for being white and blonde in Dubai.
Bethsmum

Re: Are "we" Taking Ourselves Too Seriously... Nov 14, 2010
The reformulated forum rules should be posted at the top of every forum so that everyone knows the rules and the consequences. Moderators need to follow those same rules in their own posting, and they must maintain consistency in their moderating.

Some of you don't like the banning and I'll just say, behave yourself! If you can't see that threads are being constantly derailed and turned into personal spats when people have misinterpreted "humour", then you are clearly blind.

If you think that all kinds of humour translates well online in written form with no nonverbal communication cues, then you are also naive.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Are "we" taking ourselves too seriously... Nov 14, 2010
Probably about right kanelli, although I must say I don't like rules much, it reminds me of being at school. This is only an internet forum and I'm a firm believer in being allowed to say what you what and when. People don't have to read posts they don't want to. Let's face it, it would be a very dull DF if there weren't a few 'spats' along the way. Why are people crying foul all of a sudden? It isn't as if this forum has gone down hill recently, it's always been like this as far as I can see from the FC.
And I'll say again that this is what I find so entertaining about DF, the mods are the worst offenders.
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:Probably about right kanelli, although I must say I don't like rules much, it reminds me of being at school. This is only an internet forum and I'm a firm believer in being allowed to say what you what and when. People don't have to read posts they don't want to. Let's face it, it would be a very dull DF if there weren't a few 'spats' along the way. Why are people crying foul all of a sudden? It isn't as if this forum has gone down hill recently, it's always been like this as far as I can see from the FC.
And I'll say again that this is what I find so entertaining about DF, the mods are the worst offenders.

LOL and you seem to forget where you are BM - this is 'Dubai' forums! It's not the 'free' world.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

How long before this topic is locked down? LOL
Bethsmum

I'm just saying that people seem to forget that although the forum seems pretty open, because of it's nature it is still governed by the part of the world we live in. Therefore members, mods and owners would probably appreciate posters not doing anythign which could get the site blocked or even shut down - something that alot of people round here seem to forget.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

The world is full of rules because everyone doesn't have the same idea of how to conduct themselves properly in certain circumstances. That's just life.

We've had many problems here because rules haven't been clear and moderation hasn't been consistent. The moderators we have now are honestly mostly chosen because they are around, not because they are the best person for the job. (Sorry guys :) )

Fight Club should not exist.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Chocoholic wrote:I'm just saying that people seem to forget that although the forum seems pretty open, because of it's nature it is still governed by the part of the world we live in. Therefore members, mods and owners would probably appreciate posters not doing anythign which could get the site blocked or even shut down - something that alot of people round here seem to forget.

Chocoholic wrote:He's a dude that clearly likes to believe the spin and add to it.

Dubai is ooovvveerrrr.

And your comment above meant exactly waht then Chocs?

-- Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:39 am --

kanelli wrote:The world is full of rules because everyone doesn't have the same idea of how to conduct themselves properly in certain circumstances. That's just life.

We've had many problems here because rules haven't been clear and moderation hasn't been consistent. The moderators we have now are honestly mostly chosen because they are around, not because they are the best person for the job. (Sorry guys :) )

Hear hear, and fight club exists simply because the managers of the site are too lazy to moderate!
Dillon

Having an opinion and 'bashing' something using vulgar language and derogatory terms are two different things.

Just saying that many people seem to forget where they are living.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

And my point is that "Dubai is ooovvveerrrr" can easily be interpreted as vulgar and derogatory.
Dillon

Dillon wrote:And my point is that "Dubai is ooovvveerrrr" can easily be interpreted as vulgar and derogatory.

Hardly. Sadly it's a common truth and most people know it. What would you prefer, Dubai has had its day? Gone are the golden days of Dubai - no real way to make it pretty Dillon. But again that's my opinion and expressed not using vulgar 'language'.

I'm not going round in circles on this, If you wish to, then please direct it to the relevant thread, instead of hijacking this one.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:I'm just saying that people seem to forget that although the forum seems pretty open, because of it's nature it is still governed by the part of the world we live in. Therefore members, mods and owners would probably appreciate posters not doing anythign which could get the site blocked or even shut down - something that alot of people round here seem to forget.

Chocoholic wrote:He's a dude that clearly likes to believe the spin and add to it.

Dubai is ooovvveerrrr.

Dillon wrote:And my point is that "Dubai is ooovvveerrrr" can easily be interpreted as vulgar and derogatory.

I refer you to earlier posts, two quotations by your own hand and contradictory, both relevant to this thread and on topic.

Regards
Dillon

Not biting - move along now.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Not baiting, get over yourself :lol:
Dillon

Chocoholic wrote:Not biting - move along now.

LOL ! well done.
desertdudeshj

kanelli wrote:The world is full of rules because everyone doesn't have the same idea of how to conduct themselves properly in certain circumstances. That's just life.

No need to apologize for the obvious Kanelli. :lol: It is what it is.

I took the time to do a little research in the archives and found that going back as far as 2006 moderation was an issue. I didn't take it further (2007 onward) because 2006 said it all for me. The irony is that looking at "then and now" its the same complaints, and same responses. You were active at that time so I'm sure you can recall some of the exchanges that took place. I think it's safe to say that in the past people were banned for being vocal about the moderation, the way it was handled and by whom. Yet, the problem continues. If you treat the cause of the illness, the symptons go away and a healthier environment would be the result.

Clearly the mods here are not on the same page. Jumping in and moderating a member for a post would require that the mod would have to refrain from the very action that they are addressing. I don't exclude myself, but I'm not going to be the only one to moderate with posters if other mods aren't willing, or more to the point, take the position "do as I say, not as I do".

In my experience, change starts at the top, that is where you set the example - with no exceptions. In order for it to be consistent, there needs to be one rule for everyone regardless if they agree with you or not. You cannot give one person a larger playing field because they totally agree, while limiting others because they don't. Is stealing 100AED a lesser crime that stealing 1000AED? Stealing is stealing. To use a phrase that became popular with Sarah Palin: You can put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig. Baiting is baiting. Snide is snide. Rude is rude.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

No surprises, people here have always taken themselves too seriously.
Sheikhmo
Dubai Forums Frequenter

I feel that some of us on DF are masters of baiting and get away with a lot more than others!
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

drewpeacock wrote:I feel that some of us on DF are masters of baiting and get away with a lot more than others!

You noticed? I guess they are not as clever as they think they are. :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Its very easy to spot this baiting stuff from a distance :bounce:
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

I would say that those who are baited might take themselves too seriously. The others might just be master-baiters :P !
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

drewpeacock wrote:Its very easy to spot this baiting stuff from a distance :bounce:

:wink: . I guess when you stand too close it can be missed by the smoke screen being put up in front of you and being told what you want to hear. :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Ambassador wrote:I would say that those who are baited might take themselves too seriously. The others might just be master-baiters :P !

LMAO
Bethsmum

Ambassador wrote:I would say that those who are baited might take themselves too seriously. The others might just be master-baiters :P !

:cheers:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:

No need to apologize for the obvious Kanelli. :lol: It is what it is.

I took the time to do a little research in the archives and found that going back as far as 2006 moderation was an issue. I didn't take it further (2007 onward) because 2006 said it all for me. The irony is that looking at "then and now" its the same complaints, and same responses. You were active at that time so I'm sure you can recall some of the exchanges that took place. I think it's safe to say that in the past people were banned for being vocal about the moderation, the way it was handled and by whom. Yet, the problem continues. If you treat the cause of the illness, the symptons go away and a healthier environment would be the result.

Clearly the mods here are not on the same page. Jumping in and moderating a member for a post would require that the mod would have to refrain from the very action that they are addressing. I don't exclude myself, but I'm not going to be the only one to moderate with posters if other mods aren't willing, or more to the point, take the position "do as I say, not as I do".

In my experience, change starts at the top, that is where you set the example - with no exceptions. In order for it to be consistent, there needs to be one rule for everyone regardless if they agree with you or not. You cannot give one person a larger playing field because they totally agree, while limiting others because they don't. Is stealing 100AED a lesser crime that stealing 1000AED? Stealing is stealing. To use a phrase that became popular with Sarah Palin: You can put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig. Baiting is baiting. Snide is snide. Rude is rude.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

-- Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:31 pm --

Chocoholic wrote:Having an opinion and 'bashing' something using vulgar language and derogatory terms are two different things.

Just saying that many people seem to forget where they are living.

"Dubai is ovveeerrr!" "Chubs" "Loon" "Infidel" - couldn't anyone take offense depending on their own sensitivities? Moderators would have to have set criteria. In the end we are all grown ups and should be able to handle a certain level of "naming" or criticism of oneself or topics of discussion. However, a while back one forumer said that Chocs should die - a direct verbal threat. Was he banned? No, when I complained by PM, a mod told me the forumer was joking. I checked the context and didn't see that it was lighthearted joke at all. If I had been a moderator and removed the post and sent a warning to the forumer, maybe people would have jumped on me for "bad moderating". Mods don't have an easy job, but this place will deteriorate if left to trolls and bad behaviour from regulars or even other Mods.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat