Canadians Can No Longer Come Freely To The UAE!!

Topic locked
Canadians can no longer come freely to the UAE!! Nov 08, 2010
Kanelli,

I have heard today from a friend that Canada has been dropped from the 33 favored countries whose citizens are exempt from getting a prior visa to visit the UAE. Meaning that Canadians can no longer come to the UAE without getting a prior visit visa!!!

I've also heard, a while back, that the rising tensions between the Emiratis and the Canucks is caused by Canada’s refusal to grant landing rights to UAE airlines.

If you know more about this issue, please fill us in!!!

8) 8)

Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Canadians can no longer come freely to the UAE!! Nov 08, 2010
There's certainly nothing to that affect on any of the websites.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Canadians Can No Longer Come Freely To The UAE!! Nov 08, 2010
Heard about it as well. And it is related to the landing rights.

Chocs, not EVERYTHING hits the internet immediately. Because something isn't on the internet doesn't mean it didn't happen or is happening.

I think Kanelli has already relocated, but she may be able to enlighten us. Kanelli????????
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

I have no idea about that, will check Canadian consulate pages.

-- Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:12 pm --

Ok people, it is true - but it doesn't kick in until after Jan. 2 2011. http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/ ... ?id=306000

"Regular passport holders who intend to travel to the UAE before January 2011 do not require a visa. Upon arrival, Canadians will receive a 30-day entry permit which may be extended for a limited amount of time.

As of January 2, 2011 a visa will be required for tourism and business purposes. It can be obtained prior to travel at the Embassy of the UAE.

All diplomatic and special passport holders must obtain their visa before travelling to the United Arab Emirates."
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

I forgot about the kick in date as I heard that as well.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Thats pretty petty if I must say, the whole row was because of landing rights i.e : Getting the bussiness of tourists and visitors comming here and encouraging more with more direct flights.

This will infact affect traffic already traveling on direct and indirect flights. I don't think anybody would be really bothered with getting visa's to visit UAE, unless they have bussiness or close family here.

I'm betting this will be quickly withdrawn as they see the traffic plummet, but maybe by then the damage will be done, if it hasn't already. There is already very bad press with regards to UAE with the base closure and UN lobbying issue in the Canadian media.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Canadians can no longer come freely to the UAE!! Nov 08, 2010
Well sadly that's the UAE authorities - petty. They throw their toys out the pram when they don't get what they want, but they always end up learning the hard way.

NB - Immigration websites are updated pretty quickly actually, but for some reason they've been a tad slow on this - makes me think it won't last long.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Canadians can no longer come freely to the UAE!! Nov 09, 2010
After this, Canada will respond denying UAE nationals without prior visa, etc. Brazil and the USA got in this phallus-measuring contest a few years ago. I'll just see how it plays out. I really don't give a poop... AFAIC they are shooting themselves in the foot. There goes all the transit revenue (I often stay in Singapore for the weekend on my way to/from Australia as they are so welcoming and make it easy). Canucks will put a weekend stop over in the "too hard bucket"....a bit diff if you have family and friends with a purposeful visit.

AFAIC, these guys are so backwater. Personally, I think the Ministry of Immigration (or whatever) must be staffed by kids. The sooner I get out of here the better.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

dubaidog wrote:The sooner I get out of here the better.

You lucky dog !
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Canadians Can No Longer Come Freely To The UAE!! Nov 09, 2010
Yeah, it puts me off coming back for a visit now.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Canadians Can No Longer Come Freely To The UAE!! Nov 09, 2010
I agree - it is petty.

It's also something we've seen in Africa too - currently the South Africans and Nigerians are giving each other a hard time - visas are taking longer for both sides. I can't remember how the row started - but we've been caught up in the middle of it (I have clients in Nigeria and also work out of an office in Jhb).

Both sides (ordinary people) are hoping that it blows over soon and the situation can go back to what it was before.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I have a personal interest in this story, so this morning I checked with a source who might be in the know. He says doesn't think that this decision will actually be implemented next January. The two countries are still in negotiations over landing rights, and it could be just a bargaining tool to put more pressure on the Canadians!!

He thinks an agreement will likely be reached soon.

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

dubaidog wrote:After this, Canada will respond denying UAE nationals without prior visa, etc. Brazil and the USA got in this phallus-measuring contest a few years ago. I'll just see how it plays out. I really don't give a poop... AFAIC they are shooting themselves in the foot. There goes all the transit revenue (I often stay in Singapore for the weekend on my way to/from Australia as they are so welcoming and make it easy). Canucks will put a weekend stop over in the "too hard bucket"....a bit diff if you have family and friends with a purposeful visit.

AFAIC, these guys are so backwater. Personally, I think the Ministry of Immigration (or whatever) must be staffed by kids. The sooner I get out of here the better.

Well the truth is, that UAE Nationals have always had to apply in advance for a Visa to enter Canada, nevertheless, I would be inclined to agree with TJ that it's all bravado and sabre rattling over their latest dispute but why not? All's fair in Love and War!
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat