West Bank Refugee Invents Engine That Runs On Air

Topic locked
West Bank refugee invents engine that runs on air Sep 29, 2010
A West Bank mechanic has harnessed the power of air with his invention of a new, greener motor engine that operates by air compression, without the need for fuel.

Imad Saleh Hassouneh, 37, who maintained truck engines for 22 years, said: “My invention was purely accidental. A truck moved forward when I was repairing its engine using compressed air. I realised that compressed air has the power to propel the engine so I started experimenting with a truck engine.”

Imad, a refugee from Jalazone in the West Bank, added: “I succeeded in inventing an engine that operates on air compression rather than fuel, and obtained a patent from the Palestinian Ministry of Economics. I also received support from Palestinian Prime Minister Mr Salam Fayyad who honoured me and granted me a car to experiment on.”

To test his invention, Imad mounted the engine over a model of a four-tonne truck and added the air compressor. After allowing the air stream to flow through a pipe attached to the engine, he started the engine. The truck moved slowly in comparison to the fuel engine as the amount of compressed air was not enough.

Despite facing difficulties, including a lack of resources and equipment, and the absence of a sponsor for the project, Imad succeeded with his invention.

He said: “If this invention is applied, developed and manufactured on an international scale, it will become a great discovery because it is an environmentally friendly engine with minimal cost.

“Moreover, it has zero impact on health, unlike with fuel. Other benefits include the end of the car overheating problem during summer, as it will in fact operate as an engine coolant.”

Source: http://www.unrwa.org/etemplate.php?id=806

Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: West Bank Refugee Invents Engine That Runs On Air Sep 29, 2010
Help me out here ...

What does the compressor run on ?
viking-warrior
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: West Bank refugee invents engine that runs on air Sep 29, 2010
Simple, the compressor engine is the same as the car engine and runs on compressed air...the compressor to power the compressor to power the compressor that runs the engine runs on a compressor that is powered by burning bull shit, something that seems to be in plentiful supply here!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just what I thinking ! We shall call this "Habibi's laws of conservation of energy"

Or perhaps they could hook up that Yemeni's magic amulet and power the source compressor from that ?

Sometimes I don't know whether to laugh or cry ... someone thought this was news, then someone granted him a patent; but at least he got a car out of it (I noticed that he is not reported as having chopped that up!)

My plan to make a billion is to get everyones used pencils, hire a billion chinese people to cut them square then glue them back together again and sell them for 50% of the production cost

Its a sure fired winner :drunken:
viking-warrior
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: West Bank refugee invents engine that runs on air Sep 29, 2010
Great! another perpetual motion invention.
How about an engine that runs of farts? or even better on stupidity, it is an endless ressource.
capsicum
BANNED

viking-warrior wrote:someone thought this was news

This is already front news at an UN website for days.

viking-warrior wrote:then someone granted him a patent

Yep, bizar.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

I thought the French and Indians were already working on this concept... with Tata having actually designed an 'air car'
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-effi ... ir-car.htm

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/5732/t ... ow-me-down
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

And first a disclaimer ...

I am not an engineer, but I did train as one (Oil & Gas Instrumentation) whilst at Uni

I understand that compressed air can be used to move a piston and thus power a vehicle, but my experience of compressors (dive tanks, pneumatic wrenches and the like) indicate that the amount of compressed air required to travel more than 10k would be huge and the pressure required to compress that amount of air into a safe tank would require a serious piece of kit that is not going to run of a 13A electrical socket, therefore it would be a fossil fuel driven compressor that would be required to build up that amount of pressure.

So we are back into the conundrum of clean energy from fossil fuels again.

Can you imagine the explosive power released if one of those pressure vessels failed :( not cool

I think that Hydrogen power is the way forward for personal transport, but what would I know, over to the Oracle for the definitive opinion !

(Sorry Shaf thats not you anymore) :lol:

yak yak blah blah yak yak :D
viking-warrior
Dubai Expat Helper

Hey, when it comes to things mechanical, I'm all thumbs!

The second link says the Tata car can run for 200km on the air in it's tanks. It would take 4hrs to fill up using a household compressor or 3 mins in a high-pressure 'filling station'.

But hey, I'm just quoting what the article says:
Here's some nifty bullet points for you.

• The Air Car runs a specially developed piston engine that uses a new thermo dynamic cycle offering exceptional energy efficiency.

• Compressed air is stored in carbon fibre tanks, at 300 bar (4,351 psi).

• The CAT engine operates on four cycles: intake and compression, combustion, expansion, and exhaust.

• Outside air is drawn into the compression chamber and compressed to 20 bar (290 psi). At the highest point of pressure (at ‘top dead centre’), this air reaches 400°C (centigrade), and, at that point, air from the storage tank is injected into the combustion chamber.

• Since the injected air is much colder than the compressed air in the chamber, the injected air is heated instantaneously, causing a sudden expansion, which pushes the piston down (in an expansion stroke)

• The air tanks fitted to the underside of the vehicle can hold 300 litres of compressed air, capable of driving the MiniCAT for up to 200km.

• Using a household electrical source, it takes about 4 hours for the vehicle to refill its own compressed air tanks (a rapid three minute recharge is possible using an external high-pressure air pump.

• The MiniCAT runs an electronically controlled continuously variable transmission (CVT)

Over to the Oracle. ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sure sounds like it is a viable option.

200km would suit me fine for a days running around, the only thing is we would need to convince everyone else to use them as well - can you imagine a Ranger Rover or Landcruiser running into the back of one of these and fracturing the pressure tank .... Ouch

I still have my doubts about a domestic pump achieving 300 bar of pressure, but I know a dive master that I can ask, so let me get back to you on that front.

Dare I ask about performance? No one needs 240 kmph but a nifty 0-60 would help no end in traffic !

Toot toot
viking-warrior
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: West Bank refugee invents engine that runs on air Sep 30, 2010
Compressed air engines have been around for the last 200 years, this guy did not invent anything. They are merely a means of delivering power that has been generated elsewhere (compressor). The whole process is not efficient with lots of lost energy during the compression. The stored energy is very limited and air cars could not be operated in cold countries. An air motor does not generate heat so you would be freezing while driving. There are many other useful applications, drills (dentists), torpedoes, flying models, some heavy machinery, but cars? not a good idea.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: West Bank Refugee Invents Engine That Runs On Air Sep 30, 2010
It will of course get so much better if we cover it in black and attempt an illegal exit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: West Bank Refugee Invents Engine That Runs On Air Sep 30, 2010
sage & onion wrote:It will of course get so much better if we cover it in black and attempt an illegal exit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get over it sage! I have done it , and with panache. Hold on a little bit, watch the news when my case hits the court room, you will be surprise as to who was the criminal in my case .
There 2 types of men, those who dares and those who watch, stop bragging the guys who accomplish something because you wish you would be worth to be a man.
You should try the abaya instead of the kandourah I am sure it will fit you perfect.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Tata project not happening,

The much hyped ‘Air Car’ project that Tata Motors undertook along with French engineering firm MDI two years back appears to be facing some technological challenges. This project aims to develop a car that can run purely on compressed air, without using any other source of fuel. The compressed air expands inside the vehicle and the energy so released powers the vehicle.

Tata Motors’ vice-president (engineering systems) S Ravishankar told DNA Money the project is facing difficulties in terms of vehicle range and cooling.

“Air is not a fuel, it is just an energy carrier. So a tank full of air does not have the same energy as a tank full of CNG. Any vehicle using only compressed air to run would face problems of range.”

http://www.dnaindia.com/money/report_ta ... le_1316093
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Poor fellow, inventing something already invented!

It reminds me of MY invention! many Years ago when in a hurry making breakfast, I decided to mix my eggs and add the mixture to my frying mushrooms, it was a EUREKA moment for me, a time saving and delicious culinary invention, but what should I call it?

I couldn’t hide my disappointment when my Father informed me someone had beaten me to it, and quite some time ago, and had already named it an Omelette, Bloody French! :)

Joking aside, how could he possibly have obtained a patent from the Palestinian Ministry of Economics, there must be hundreds if not thousands of worldwide Patents associated with this technology, additionally, the article speaks volumes about the UNRWA believing this to be an appropriate news item, God help the Palestinians indeed.
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

The Palestinian Patent Office is probably one old guy with a notebook and blunt pencil...

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: West Bank refugee invents engine that runs on air Oct 02, 2010
i wonder if it is something like http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/54d68974-cce2 ... ab49a.html

problem with new resources is that, they are very EXPENSIVE but who knows maybe in 10 - 15 years we all could be driving cars that run on air/hydrogen?

solar powered are already there and so are electric cars.
MotionComputing
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat