Sharjah Police Conduct Door To Door Hunt For Unwed Couples

Topic locked
Sharjah police conduct door to door hunt for unwed couples Apr 22, 2010
http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll ... 19848/1133

Some would have you believe this never happens.

SHARJAH Police are going door-to-door looking for couples living out of wedlock.

Officers have already arrested one couple living together in al Qadissiya since the new campaign began on Monday. Police say they will initially target more densely populated residential areas before spreading the net to include the whole emirate.

Police are knocking on doors and demanding to see evidence that couples under the same roof are married.

Brig Musa al Naqbi, the head of Sharjah Police CID, said yesterday: “We managed to find one couple, an Arab man and an Asian woman, illegally staying together. The couple also had two children. One was two years old and the other one was four.

“This campaign is continuing throughout Sharjah because women and men having children outside wedlock is not allowed in the UAE, as well as being against Islam.”

Couples found to be breaking the law will be referred to public prosecutors, and lawyers say they could technically face lashes under the emirate’s strict Sharia.

Salah Mabrouk, a Dubai based lawyer who regularly handles cases in Sharjah’s courts, said: “First of all, we need to know that such cases in this country are not guided by criminal laws but by Sharia law.

“In Sharia law the punishment for a fornicator is different to one of an adulterer, a fornicator is lashed 100 lashes while an adulterer is stoned to death.”

However, Mr Mabrouk said it was more likely that offenders would face a prison term of less than a year, followed by deportation if they were expatriates.

Brig al Naqbi said the couple arrested in al Qadissiya have confessed to cohabiting out of wedlock.

One unmarried couple who live together on weekends in Sharjah said they were worried about being caught in the new campaign.

“I am afraid to go back to his house, I don’t know if the police don’t want lovers to meet as well,” said the Filipina woman, who works as a sales assistant.

Her partner, an Egyptian Muslim, felt slightly safer because the pair are not together under one roof during the week.

“Unless some evil person tips police that she has come, their search would most likely find me alone at home,” he said.

Under federal law, cohabiting couples face two possible sets of charges depending on their circumstances, according to Jouslin Khairallah, another Dubai-based lawyer whose case load often takes her to Sharjah.

“If you have a flat with a man living in one room and a woman living in another, they would immediately face an unlawful residency charge,” she said.

However, if it could be proved that the couple were sharing a room, they could be charged under "crimes of honour" legislation that carries a heavier sentence of up to three years in jail.

sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Sharjah police conduct door to door hunt for unwed coupl Apr 22, 2010
That's TOO much !! So uncalled for .. :spiderman:

Most of us Emiratis dislike Sharjah's laws by the way and specially when it comes to business & real estate! It's just the worst ever :shock: Let alone the horrible roads and services. That city needs a LOT of dramatic changes or else .. XD
symmetric
BANNED

Actually we know it DOES happen Sage, they tried this in Dubai last year over shared accomodation if you remember, but they gave up in the end after the uproar it caused. The power of the people won out over that one.

Sharjah is backward anyway. What amused me was that they 'eventually' found 'one' couple, who had been living there for years AND had two children.

I can tell you I know of at least three Emiratis who're living with their other halves out of marriage and have done for years, let them try this on them?!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

This shows the "risk" factor. There was a law that was laying dormant and someone woke up one day and reactivated it. It's been there for who knows how long, but it's now being (re)inforced. The couple cited in the article didn't do anything to draw attention to themselves. They lived together for years, have two children (birth certificates? passports?) and are now caught up in a nightmare. If they are put in prison what happens to the children?

The same thing can happen in Dubai. One day someone instructs the police and CID to go to hotels and asks to see guest passports, as well as marriage certificates, to ensure that people staying in the same room are indeed married. It's unlikely that this would ever happen, but there is that 1% that it could.

As archaic and backwards as some laws are, they can't be ignored. Every country has archaic laws because they were deemed useful at the time of issuance. In cases of law people researched back and could find a government law on the book that could be 100 years old, but the fact that's on the book, it remains law, and people have won cases based on old laws that were no longer enforced, but the sheer fact that the law they used was indeed a law.

Lashes???!!! Oh, wait, why does Saudi Arabia come to mind??? :roll:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

i say "stone em"

Haven't been to a good stoning in years.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

arniegang wrote:i say "stone em"

It is not a pretty sight, believe me.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I recently watched a movie "The Stoning of Soraya M.". In Persian with English subtitles and was based on true events - which took place not so long ago. If you can get your hands on it, watch it. I don't think you would use the words "stone em" so lightly if you saw the movie. I had to remind myself that it was a movie!!!, on the other hand it was based on actual events.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

This is going to stir up alot of households. This can't be normal. Sick.
RobbyG

Whether it is Sharjah or Dubai, what we see is a slide toward more restrictions, more punishment.
As the world moves forward, this country is going back in time.
The laws were always there, just waiting to be enforced, and Choc still tells everybody it is alright to come.
No it is not, there are much more better places to live or visit than the UAE.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Chocoholic wrote:Actually we know it DOES happen Sage, they tried this in Dubai last year over shared accomodation if you remember, but they gave up in the end after the uproar it caused. The power of the people won out over that one.

Sharjah is backward anyway. What amused me was that they 'eventually' found 'one' couple, who had been living there for years AND had two children.

I can tell you I know of at least three Emiratis who're living with their other halves out of marriage and have done for years, let them try this on them?!

Good ol' choc's tellin' it like it is :wink:
desertdudeshj

DD, you cheat! One time is very funny, but don't make your 'quote manipulation' a habit. :D

If I ever make it to moderator here, I'll be watching you mate ;)
RobbyG

As you can see I'm on my best behaviour, no manipulation here mate. Beside's it wasn't a manipulation as much as it was a clarification and explination Image
desertdudeshj

Bora Bora wrote:

I recently watched a movie "The Stoning of Soraya M.". In Persian with English subtitles and was based on true events - which took place not so long ago. If you can get your hands on it, watch it. I don't think you would use the words "stone em" so lightly if you saw the movie. I had to remind myself that it was a movie!!!, on the other hand it was based on actual events.

just take along a packed lunch, plenty of drink and its a great day out. Always look out for the peddlers selling rocks with a buy one get one free offer.

8)
arniegang

arniegang wrote:
just take along a packed lunch, plenty of drink and its a great day out. Always look out for the peddlers selling rocks with a buy one get one free offer.

8)

I'll get my mum to bake a batch of her rock cakes!

They should go like...hot cakes!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Sharjah police conduct door to door hunt for unwed coupl Apr 23, 2010
Chocoholic wrote:Actually we know it DOES happen Sage, they tried this in Dubai last year over shared accomodation if you remember, but they gave up in the end after the uproar it caused. The power of the people won out over that one.

So you can't share an appartment with your girl friend, you are not even supposed to have a girl friend at all.
But it is ok for 2 guys to live together, even in the same room, even more in the same bed, and that does not bother anybody, understanding out of experience?
capsicum
BANNED

capsicum wrote:

So you can't share an appartment with your girl friend, you are not even supposed to have a girl friend at all.
But it is ok for 2 guys to live together, even in the same room, even more in the same bed, and that does not bother anybody, understanding out of experience?

Thats fine as long as one of them doesn't get pregnant!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Ismail Shaheen, 30, an Egyptian expatriate, said he was recently stopped by a police patrol at night on Al Arouba Road as he was driving home with his new wife. Although the officers had been looking for drunk drivers, they were clearly also on the lookout for breaches of the law regarding marriage.

“When they saw me with a young lady, they asked for our marriage certificate. Thank God I had just got a new portable marriage card being issued by Sharjah courts recently and it was in my wallet,” he said.

I dont think people understand what this new law is about. You are liable to be stopped on the street and asked for proof of marriage; if you dont have a card sized "marriage certificate" you can be hauled off!!

So apparently all married expats have to spend 500 dhs to get the marriage card or.............stop going to Sharjah
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Sharjah Police Conduct Door To Door Hunt For Unwed Coupl Apr 23, 2010
Smells of Saudi ! How is this going to work ? What happened to Sharjah all of a sudden ? Seems like turning into little saudi ? What, did Saudi lend it some fuloos and put some a saudi clause in the contract ??? Or a mutawa got appointed head of something !
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:Smells of Saudi ! How is this going to work ? What happened to Sharjah all of a sudden ? Seems like turning into little saudi ? What, did Saudi lend it some fuloos and put some a saudi clause in the contract ??? Or a mutawa got appointed head of something !

I lived in Saudi for 8+ years, never had Police at the door looking for a Marriage Cert.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:
desertdudeshj wrote:Smells of Saudi ! How is this going to work ? What happened to Sharjah all of a sudden ? Seems like turning into little saudi ? What, did Saudi lend it some fuloos and put some a saudi clause in the contract ??? Or a mutawa got appointed head of something !

I lived in Saudi for 8+ years, never had Police at the door looking for a Marriage Cert.

Then you must have been living in a compound. ;)
RobbyG

RobbyG wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

Then you must have been living in a compound. ;)

That's true but the Saudi Police had free access, it was also a Dutch Compound operated by Ballast Nedam Groep nv
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:I lived in Saudi for 8+ years, never had Police at the door looking for a Marriage Cert.

Many things happen in the UAE which you or I have not experienced; does not mean that those things dont happen just because it hasnt happened to us....!
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

BlackburnRovers wrote:
sage & onion wrote:I lived in Saudi for 8+ years, never had Police at the door looking for a Marriage Cert.

Many things happen in the UAE which you or I have not experienced; does not mean that those things dont happen just because it hasnt happened to us....!

I totally agree with you, however the point I was making was regarding Saudi Arabia, where this kind of thing would have gone round the communities like wildfire, even so things could still of happened that I wasn't aware of.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

BlackburnRovers wrote:

O trust me mate, there is a lot that goes on that not many are aware of, that you are right about.
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:
BlackburnRovers wrote:

O trust me mate, there is a lot that goes on that not many are aware of, that you are right about.

Thank God we live in a drug-free, crime-free country. :wink:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Just about, still a billion times better than many other places.
desertdudeshj

Sharjah seems to be getting tighter all the time for whatever reason. Can't really see the same things happening in Dubai, as I said they already tried it and it didn't work.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

desertdudeshj wrote:Just about, still a billion times better than many other places.

Just about?? Oh, OK, if you say so. :roll:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:
desertdudeshj wrote:Just about, still a billion times better than many other places.

Just about?? Oh, OK, if you say so. :roll:

LoL, he forgot to consider all the mafia henchmen, the exiled policiticians with blood on their hands and every other money laundering drug lord who wants to whitewash cash into real estate. ;)

Besides that, its as clean as a dental stick. 8)
RobbyG

LOL come on you know this is a battle you cannot win ;)

or Bores can look at Crime Central Inc or otherwise know as her homeland the US
desertdudeshj

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat