This Has Been Covered Before But Here Goes...

Topic locked
This has been covered before but here goes... Apr 13, 2010
Hey guys, new poster.

Was questioning the laws on living with a partner in Dubai with whom you are not married. I know it is considered illegal and so on...but I have accepted a job offer to move to Dubai and my girlfriend wishes to come with me.

Is it a case of "don't broadcast it, and i'll be ok" or are there underlining issues?

Apologies as I know this will have been asked many time

Johnlee85 :D

johnlee85
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Re: This has been covered before but here goes... Apr 13, 2010
It has indeed been covered many times before, you have obviously read up on the law so you already know the answer. It certainly is illegal to cohabit with a member of the opposite gender unless you are family or married. You have also probably seen all the negative publicity going on recently for a simple kiss. It's a risk that only you and your girlfriend can determine if it is worth it.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: This has been covered before but here goes... Apr 13, 2010
wouldnt suggest it, its not worth taking a risk. If i were you I would tell her the gal to marry ya :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: This has been covered before but here goes... Apr 14, 2010
Can't you just lie if anyone asks, say she's a family member or would they ask for proof?
MethoD
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Okay so here’s the deal. And I hope anyone searching this topic again does not ask this question.

Let’s differ from Sage’s white collar, never do wrong, straight arrow boring, Stoic viewpoint.

And surely rudeboy’s draconian zealot school of thought who insists A.Q Khan is a hero however the rest of the sane world community sees him as a one stop shop for nuclear weapons who has prison terms laid upon him in Netherlands and the USA.

Now here’s the truth:

-If you are passport holders of any of the countries that are blessed with a quarterly year stay in the UAE no questions asked ( an extension of 550 AED at DNRD for the last 30 days) life is easier
-You can always use the right terminology like “fiancé” when in the presence of skeptical mongloids like rudeboy and indifferent old men like Sage who wouldn’t care to probe further.
-There are thousands of couples just like u in this city
-Stay in a good area. Try getting your own studio at least.
-Chill out dude and don’t start getting toucy touchy smoochy smoochy in public especially when you see loads of folks wearing black
godsent
Dubai Forums Talker

godsent wrote:Okay so here’s the deal. And I hope anyone searching this topic again does not ask this question.

Let’s differ from Sage’s white collar, never do wrong, straight arrow boring, Stoic viewpoint.

And surely rudeboy’s draconian zealot school of thought who insists A.Q Khan is a hero however the rest of the sane world community sees him as a one stop shop for nuclear weapons who has prison terms laid upon him in Netherlands and the USA.

Now here’s the truth:

-If you are passport holders of any of the countries that are blessed with a quarterly year stay in the UAE no questions asked ( an extension of 550 AED at DNRD for the last 30 days) life is easier
-You can always use the right terminology like “fiancé” when in the presence of skeptical mongloids like rudeboy and indifferent old men like Sage who wouldn’t care to probe further.
-There are thousands of couples just like u in this city
-Stay in a good area. Try getting your own studio at least.
-Chill out dude and don’t start getting toucy touchy smoochy smoochy in public especially when you see loads of folks wearing black

This reply is so ridiculous, their may be thousands of couples in Dubai who are living together without being married, that however does not make it legal under the laws here. Of course it is possible to carry on for years like that, however it simply takes one minor incident and you end up in prison, later deported, with no possibility of return. Is it worth it?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:This reply is so ridiculous, their may be thousands of couples in Dubai who are living together without being married, that however does not make it legal under the laws here. Of course it is possible to carry on for years like that, however it simply takes one minor incident and you end up in prison, later deported, with no possibility of return. Is it worth it?

Under the laws, people cant cohabit without being married
Nationals are not allowed to drink
People are not allowed to work on visit/tourist visas

Yet all 3 things happen in hundreds of cases everyday.

Its upto the person to decide whether the risk is worth it.
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

lol sod it, go ahead buddy but dont say we didnt warn ya and dont come on the forum crying like some of the babies on this forum who have lost their nappes :D

so yeh go ahead dont listen to me or sage
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Johnlee, ignore the scare mongerers, you will have no issues whatsoever. Don't even let it cross your mind. So long as you don't have strict neighbours to annoy, it's really not an issue.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Johnlee, ignore the scare mongerers, you will have no issues whatsoever. Don't even let it cross your mind. So long as you don't have strict neighbours to annoy, it's really not an issue.

Why is it that you persist in giving this kind of advice??????????????????????, and when someone gets into trouble for following it you then proceed to bash the country!
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

who knows johnlee one day we could be discussing you and your gf on this forum. just think that one IRRESTIABLE kiss in public can make you end up in jail ;).

the laws are there not to be broken, so honestly mate if you love your life, career and family I will DEFINIETLY not RISK it. Trust me if you work hard in Dubai/UAE you can become something. ;)

if you are serious with your gf and vice versa, just get married laddy with us lassy and live happily ever after in Dubai :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

sage & onion wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Johnlee, ignore the scare mongerers, you will have no issues whatsoever. Don't even let it cross your mind. So long as you don't have strict neighbours to annoy, it's really not an issue.

Why is it that you persist in giving this kind of advice??????????????????????, and when someone gets into trouble for following it you then proceed to bash the country!

Sage, are you the kind to report to the police an un married couple, if you see one?
gertrude
Dubai forums Addict

sage & onion wrote:

Exactly!!!! Suggesting you might get away with it because many others do it is insane. Same with drugs, why don't you try to smuggle some, not everybody get caught by the same logic.
Fact is living together while not married is a CRIME, period! You can hide, but what a life?
you can be reported by a bitter neighbor, by a taxi driver, a business partner, you can be ID checked by the police walking the street with your girl friend, your appartment can be checked by authorities ranging from the fire department, the police, the owner, the utilities department, the phone company. A female employee of mine was caught living with her boyfriend by the police after she called the fire department for a fire in the trash bin in the kitchen.
Those cases in the press do NOT reflect the reality, much much more are arrested, jailed and deported for living together, but are not reported to the papers.
My advice: get married, stay away, or go single, remember Murphy' s law: if you can get caught: you will.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: This has been covered before but here goes... Apr 15, 2010
gertrude wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

Sage, are you the kind to report to the police an un married couple, if you see one?

You are simply a fool for suggesting such a thing, it matters not what I believe or accept personally, the law here is the law and we should not encourage people to openly break it.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Yes, but it takes somebody to initiate the police procedure, someone to report that someone broke the law, sounds like you would. Like that b*#ch in the restaurant.
capsicum
BANNED

capsicum wrote:Yes, but it takes somebody to initiate the police procedure, someone to report that someone broke the law, sounds like you would. Like that b*#ch in the restaurant.

What are you, gertrudes boyfriend?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oh get over it would you. It's hardly a 'risk' because the authorities know about it. The same as hotels are not supposed to let unmarried couples share a room, but hey that would kill the tourism industry dead.

You simply tell people you are married, and wear a set of wedding rings, that's what most people I know do, never ever had any issues or problems, never heard of any either.

Once again you're just a scaremongerer.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:
You simply tell people you are married, and wear a set of wedding rings, that's what most people I know do, never ever had any issues or problems, never heard of any either.

one ly leads to another ;) next they will be saying oh i 4got shes my sister :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

rudeboy wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:

RB, you really are a re-tard!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

:D :D :D
dale
Dubai forums Addict

What's the big deal with a live-in relationship? I mean before buying a car we test-drive, before picking up a pair of jeans we go to the trial room, before watching a freaking movie, we read a 100 reviews and yet before making the most important decision(marriage) of our lives we're supposed to enter into in blindly? :x
I think every couple before marriage should have a test run to test for compatibility....anyways that said yes, it is illegal to have a live-in. But then again it's all a matter of perspective. Did you know it is also illegal to use p2p to download music and movie torrents...... :P :P

But dude what's the rush?? Head to Dubai, settle in, take stock of the situation and then decide for yourself. I'm not sure what the law stipulates but maybe they make exceptions for couple engaged?
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

There is a thin line between being on the right or wrong side of law here in Dubai. If you get caught, you're in deep s hit
dale
Dubai forums Addict

Chocoholic wrote:
rudeboy wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:

touche!!! ;)

retarded thing to do is to pretend your bfs are your brothers in front of the police ;) please please tell us you dont do that ;) do ya??? :shock:
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Chocoholic wrote:
rudeboy wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:

No actually Chocs, you are the retard, you are advising people to break the law, whether you agree with the law or not makes no difference at all, because in the end of the day when people get into trouble you certainly will not be around or even able to help them. You state you have never heard of anyone getting in trouble, well I have, I even heard of an unmarried couple the other day that got jail and deportation for a "Peck on the cheek"
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

No actually Chocs, you are the retard, you are advising people to break the law, whether you agree with the law or not makes no difference at all, because in the end of the day when people get into trouble you certainly will not be around or even able to help them. You state you have never heard of anyone getting in trouble, well I have, I even heard of an unmarried couple the other day that got jail and deportation for a "Peck on the cheek"

You never think its going to happen to you but it just may, like that british couple.
Better to be safe than sorry? :mrgreen:
MethoD
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat