A Kiss, Just A Kiss......

Topic locked
Re: A Kiss, Just a Kiss...... Mar 13, 2010
PDA is worst, once in prison you get the STD for free....

capsicum
BANNED

capsicum wrote:PDA is worst, once in prison you get the STD for free....

:lol: :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:
capsicum wrote:PDA is worst, once in prison you get the STD for free....

:lol: :lol:

One way or another...it all makes sense in Dubai. :lol:
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: A Kiss, Just a Kiss...... Mar 14, 2010
this place is really making me nervous now! just don't feel comfortable any more.. i know there are many who share my feelings..
just thinking whts the point if I'm always under some sort of stress..
all the money is just not worth it! better off to earn a few dollars less but live on freely..
thts my feelings though..

i know someone will reply "then pack your bags! n head back home"..

well actually thinking on tht line now.. professionals with skills are a mobile bunch..
xdude
Dubai Forums Frequenter

loool look at u guys. Too sad seeing u talk to your selves like this aaaany way now will invite here robbyg and the country wont miss anyone who leaves it. Now the country allowing u and me to drink does not give us the right to act like animals on public and her or n your own counttry i realy dont want to see ur discusting behavior where i eat or for my kids to see such a carless one. Is this much that u dont see each other at home to do it in ur own privacy or are u guy this much wants to show off You pathatic bunsh of...
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

uaekid wrote:loool look at u guys. Too sad seeing u talk to your selves like this aaaany way now will invite here robbyg and the country wont miss anyone who leaves it. Now the country allowing u and me to drink does not give us the right to act like animals on public and her or n your own counttry i realy dont want to see ur discusting behavior where i eat or for my kids to see such a carless one. Is this much that u dont see each other at home to do it in ur own privacy or are u guy this much wants to show off You pathatic bunsh of...

You make it sound as if they were doing the nasty on the table. Or is that what you imagine when you see PDA?

Being a local, maybe you can provide a logical answer as to why something innocent is made to be so dirty.

A.

What message are the locals getting when a man and a woman hold hands??
What message are the locals getting when a man/woman give a peck on the cheek, or even spent that much time giving a peck on the lips?
Why is something to simple and innocent being made to be "dirty" or "offensive"?

Having said that:

B.

What message is sent out when two men walk together holding hands?
What message is sent out when two men walk hanging on to each other with their arms draped around each other?
What message is sent when a man sits on the lap of another man?

I think B. sends a stronger message to children than A. Please don't tell me that it is cultural - widely accepted and "normal" in such places as India and other Arab countries. To expats - this sends a strong message, especially to children; to expat adults, we call it as we see it. :wink: Locals don't want to see male/female/male PDA (which expats actually see as being normal), and expats don't necessarily want to see male/male PDA (which locals actually see as being normal).

FYI, my hubby and I have been practicing shaking hands for when we greet each other or depart from each other. We figure that for it to go on longer than 2 seconds it may be construed as PDA and find ourselves in a messy situation. :lol:

I have to say, the majority of locals are very tolerant of PDA - holding hands, peck on the lips. I have seem many young local couples go so far as to hold hands in public (of course I am talking about man/woman)
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:
uaekid wrote:loool look at u guys. Too sad seeing u talk to your selves like this aaaany way now will invite here robbyg and the country wont miss anyone who leaves it. Now the country allowing u and me to drink does not give us the right to act like animals on public and her or n your own counttry i realy dont want to see ur discusting behavior where i eat or for my kids to see such a carless one. Is this much that u dont see each other at home to do it in ur own privacy or are u guy this much wants to show off You pathatic bunsh of...

B.

What message is sent out when two men walk together holding hands?
What message is sent out when two men walk hanging on to each other with their arms draped around each other?
What message is sent when a man sits on the lap of another man?

Or a man dancing in front of another man, and gyrating his butt in the face of another man?

Although you have a valid point kid.

Why do people feel the need to become amorous in public? And by public, I don't mean at a bar/nighclub. I mean in a domain where most people don't. I don't see the point. I hold my kids hand to stop them running away.
benwj

The only thing pathetic is public display of religion. PDR, as it is called per definition. A remnant of backwardness. :wink:
So when you stop praising Allah in public, stop giving your gay friend a cosy hand each day and stop twirling your arse around his groin in the name of Allah, then you have a right to question PDA. :D

So either we both keep it in the private sphere, or a kick onto the public highway with you hypocrites, Kiddo. 8) :wink:
RobbyG

^^ should tell where is SH ? :roll:
catalyst
Dubai chat master

catalyst wrote:^^ should tell where is SH ? :roll:

I have no idea. Does SH arouse you in some way? :D

Perhaps you should ask if he is willing to hold your hand for you...mind you, he's married. Expect a blow. :wink:
RobbyG

Bora Bora wrote:
Tom Jones wrote:
Bora Bora wrote: also referred to as PDA

Just ask the frenchman Chevy, he will confirm this. :)

OMG….a PDA is illegal here in Dubai!???

I didn’t know that!!

Man…was I lucky not get caught. I had one for a long time before I got my Blackberry!!

…..
……

I know……….!! You don't have to say it!! My humor stinks!!!!

Got me thinking Tom. Which is worse: being arrested for PDA or STD??

STD is illegal here too?????

Holy Cow!!!

I also had me one those but never got caught either.

I really must be one lucky dude. :D :D

Back to PDA…

You see BB, they've got it right over here. By arresting you for PDA, they’re doing you a favor. But you don’t get it! Do you??

You know that people may get carried away with PDA, which may lead them to get STD, for which they will be arrested anyway, and thrown in jail. And eventually they’ll die in jail from STDl!!!

It’s a preemptive measure to save your butt from being placed in a casket!! Got it????

:) :) :)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

RobbyG wrote:
catalyst wrote:^^ should tell where is SH ? :roll:

I have no idea. Does SH arouse you in some way? :D

Perhaps you should ask if he is willing to hold your hand for you...mind you, he's married. Expect a blow. :wink:]

At least he has a mind :roll:
catalyst
Dubai chat master

Tom Jones wrote:You see BB, they've got it right over here. By arresting you for PDA, they’re doing you a favor. But you don’t get it! Do you??

You know that people may get carried away with PDA, which may lead them to get STD, for which they will be arrested anyway, and thrown in jail. And eventually they’ll die in jail from STDl!!!

It’s a preemptive measure to save your butt from being placed in a casket!! Got it????

Well I don't think it will be my butt that will end up in a box via jail. :3some:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:
Tom Jones wrote:You see BB, they've got it right over here. By arresting you for PDA, they’re doing you a favor. But you don’t get it! Do you??

Well I don't think it will be my butt that will end up in a box via jail. :3some:

I think I’m going loony in this place….

You can see it.....it’s starting to show ….!!

Even this forum is starting to depress me!!!

Well....

I'll just put on one of my favorite oldies by the Animals, and c'mon, sing along with me:

“ We gotta get out of this place

If it's the last thing we ever do….

We gotta get out of this place...

Girl, there's a better life...

For me and you....

:( :(
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

RobbyG wrote:The only thing pathetic is public display of religion. PDR, as it is called per definition. A remnant of backwardness. :wink:
So when you stop praising Allah in public, stop giving your gay friend a cosy hand each day and stop twirling your arse around his groin in the name of Allah, then you have a right to question PDA. :D

So either we both keep it in the private sphere, or a kick onto the public highway with you hypocrites, Kiddo. 8) :wink:

There are far easier places to attack regarding religion. I'm not convinced. What is your beef with Dubai? Dubai's tolerance towards religious beliefs, is one of its praises.
Dubai is changing fast and it won't be long before, who knows, sex on the beach isn't an offence.
benwj

Re: A Kiss, Just a Kiss...... Mar 15, 2010
Because unlike the other places, Dubai pretend to be an open society when it s not. It does so to lure tourist's and investors, but we all know that it s no longer working because an article like this is a strong reminder that no westerner should visit Dubai. Why take the risk to get trapped? you can go to soooo many nicer places where you dont face prison for kissing a woman on the cheek.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

bora bora, you are the alien and you are asking the community to adobt to you rather than you adopting to it ?
uaekid

uaekid wrote:bora bora, you are the alien and you are asking the community to adobt to you rather than you adopting to it ?

:lol: :lol: @ 10% of the population, YOU are the alien in your country kid, and I am sure BB is contributing to Dubai more than you do.
capsicum
BANNED

Hey herve, how’s life in Florida?
I really need to read your book to find out how bad it really is in Dubai.
Dubai is changing from a small tribal state to a large secular society. Cases like these are the resistance to change. But they are needed to keep the rate of change in check and prevent society spiraling out of control.
Now is actually a very good time to be in Dubai because there is relative freedom, but strict laws at the same time. Crime for instance is quite low… an accurate measure of society morals imo.
I bet you can’t leave your house unlocked in Florida. Or leave your car unlocked, let alone running with the keys in as I do. Can you walk down any street at any time of the day, with no risk of being mugged? Does your kid go to a school where drugs and knives are routine?
Change will continue, and one day Dubai will have the freedom that everyone desires… but maybe at a price. That’s when I’ll leave and you can come back if you like.
I am predicting that the sentence gets reduced to 1000 dirham fine after receiving the desired media coverage.
benwj

benwj wrote:Hey herve, how’s life in Florida?
Dubai is changing from a small tribal state to a large secular society. Cases like these are the resistance to change. But they are needed to keep the rate of change in check and prevent society spiraling out of control.
Now is actually a very good time to be in Dubai because there is relative freedom, but strict laws at the same time. Crime for instance is quite low… an accurate measure of society morals imo.
I bet you can’t leave your house unlocked in Florida. Or leave your car unlocked, let alone running with the keys in as I do. Can you walk down any street at any time of the day, with no risk of being mugged? Does your kid go to a school where drugs and knives are routine?
Change will continue, and one day Dubai will have the freedom that everyone desires… but maybe at a price. That’s when I’ll leave and you can come back if you like.
I am predicting that the sentence gets reduced to 1000 dirham fine after receiving the desired media coverage.

So ...benjw, you reduce your life to material things, you car, your wallet, your house....things your parents did not have 30 years ago, how about non material things, freedom, reading what you want, saying what you want, no fear to be deported, jailed because a bitter woman who has never enjoyed romance get jealous and calls the police because you are showing affection to your wife, no fear to be imprisonned indefinitely for being framed by Emirati thieves and crooks. Have you ever offered flowers to your wife benjw, did you choose her, did you seduce her?
I never lived in fear Florida, I did in Dubai.
Ignorance is a bliss benjw, enjoy it, you will never know what you are missing.
You are wrong about something though, Dubai will never change, because if it did, that would mean the end of the Maktoom autocracy and the end of the cash flow to their coffers.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

uaekid wrote:bora bora, you are the alien and you are asking the community to adobt to you rather than you adopting to it ?

Brilliant. You've hit the nail on the head at least about DF. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

The article doesn't specify exactly which cheeks he was kissing...
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Kid, I have had no problem adopting to the "community", as you put it, or to the laws of the country. I am very respectful in dress and behavior. Actually, it was no hardship as I dress and behavior as I would anywhere, especially in the US. There is very little I have had to change about my lifestyle coming to the UAE. For some expats, the experience more freedom, for others, their freedom has been mildly, and I mean mildly, restricted. The restrictions don't pose a hardship in living here by any means. Its just an adjustment. As Dubai has evolved, you yourself have had to make "adjustments", which were brought about by your government. Also, Abu Dhabi is still more conservative than Dubai. (I lived in AD, so I know.)

There is a tremendous amount of hypocrasy in Dubai. There are two types of PDA here. Between men and women, and I'm talking about the mild, harmless type, which can land people in jail and be deported, and then there is the man/man PDA. Man/man PDA is widely accepted, considered the "norm" and very much "in your face". Why is there law on two gender, and there is no law on same gender? That Kid is called hypocrasy. When I pose certain questions to you, you totally ignore answering them.

Personally, I don't have a problem with man/man PDA. As change evolved in the US, one learned to "accept" it over time. In the last 20 years you managed to accept the changes made in Dubai, you embraced some, and tolerated others. You want expats to behave in a way that is not offensive to culture and religion, but don't you think it should be a two way street. Many parents find the man/man thing offensive, especially where their children are concerned. You grew up learning that the man/man PDA is the norm. Expat parents may not want their children growing up thinking that is the "norm". What is "normal" to you isn't exactly considered "normal" in other parts of the world. Dubai is not exactly the poster child for equal rights and transparency.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

The Emirati woman must be a sad, lonely, jealous human being to do what she did! And she admits she didn't even see it herself. She could have just gone over to talk to the couple. But nooooooo instead she chooses to ruin two peoples lives.

Well done! I applaud that backward retardedness of people in this country!

Keep going, Sky News has had the story all over this week and you know what? When you've chased away all the tourists because they're too scared to come anymore and put cash in your pockets, you'll only have yourselves to blame.

Once again this is hypocrisy at it's finest. Right next time I go out and see a local in national dress sitting at the bar with a beer I'm calling the police! Because that's illegal and most of them go out and get straight in their cars - also illegal!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

and where did u get the idea that mam.man pda is o.k ? Or that it is in public or that the law does not punish it ?
uaekid

uaekid wrote:and where did u get the idea that mam.man pda is o.k ? Or that it is in public or that the law does not punish it ?

Erm do we not see men walking down the street holding hands on a daily basis? Touching noses? Kissing on cheeks and lips, walking along with hands in eac others back pockets and I've seen alot worse.

This is widely accepted here. In many western countries this would be frowned upon. Yet it seems a man and a woman who are friends cannot greet each other with a peck on the cheek!

There's a fair share of underground gay clubs aswell and if you think they don't exist then you truly have your head in the sand, there was a recent documentary on it, where men from neighbouring GCC countries come over to party nd get their rocks off.

It's so stupid. Once again hypocrisy at it's best.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

herve wrote:

So ...benjw, you reduce your life to material things, you car, your wallet, your house....things your parents did not have 30 years ago, how about non material things, freedom, reading what you want, saying what you want, no fear to be deported, jailed because a bitter woman who has never enjoyed romance get jealous and calls the police because you are showing affection to your wife, no fear to be imprisonned indefinitely for being framed by Emirati thieves and crooks. Have you ever offered flowers to your wife benjw, did you choose her, did you seduce her?
You are wrong about something though, Dubai will never change, because if it did, that would mean the end of the Maktoom autocracy and the end of the cash flow to their coffers.

No herve, my immediate thought was not one of material possessions. I am more concerned about the safety of my wife and family and in Dubai I can allow a certain amount of freedom in this regard.
I can read whatever I want, most of which is available locally. I can say and do whatever I want, within reason, the key word being what I WANT. I can drink, smoke and eat what I want.
The government does not continually tell me what I can and can’t do, but I use my own brain to decide what is acceptable and what is not acceptable.
And I am not concerned about how Emirati men met and feel about their wives. I am quite comfortable in my own wife’s company and do not feel any need to prove this to the general public. I am not frightened to greet people with a kiss and hug and will continue to do so.
I don’t know how you can say that Dubai will never change, when it has already changed significantly and will continue to evolve as long as there is public demand for it. It is not only the expats that want change you know.
You have had a hard time of it and I would be pissed off in your shoes, but if you are going to play with the big boys, you need more than just an abaya and a rowboat as your get-out clause. Think of it as a character building exercise and get on with life.
benwj

I think the Daily Telegraph could have worded their headline a bit more thoughtfully.

Briton facing jail in Dubai for kissing in public 'has no hard feelings'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... lings.html
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Chocoholic wrote:
uaekid wrote:and where did u get the idea that mam.man pda is o.k ? Or that it is in public or that the law does not punish it ?

Erm do we not see men walking down the street holding hands on a daily basis? Touching noses? Kissing on cheeks and lips, walking along with hands in eac others back pockets and I've seen alot worse.

This is widely accepted here. In many western countries this would be frowned upon. Yet it seems a man and a woman who are friends cannot greet each other with a peck on the cheek!

There's a fair share of underground gay clubs aswell and if you think they don't exist then you truly have your head in the sand, there was a recent documentary on it, where men from neighbouring GCC countries come over to party nd get their rocks off.

It's so stupid. Once again hypocrisy at it's best.

exactly my point ! U should adobt to us and what we see normal and not the other way around. And there are so many gay in jail, dont u know that. I thought u have many friends who tell u these things and again regardless choc. If we do somthing wrong to our culture view, to u take as an excuse to do the same ?
uaekid

benwj wrote:
herve wrote:

No herve, my immediate thought was not one of material possessions. I am more concerned about the safety of my wife and family and in Dubai I can allow a certain amount of freedom in this regard.
I can read whatever I want, most of which is available locally. I can say and do whatever I want, within reason, the key word being what I WANT. I can drink, smoke and eat what I want.
The government does not continually tell me what I can and can’t do, but I use my own brain to decide what is acceptable and what is not acceptable.
And I am not concerned about how Emirati men met and feel about their wives. I am quite comfortable in my own wife’s company and do not feel any need to prove this to the general public. I am not frightened to greet people with a kiss and hug and will continue to do so.
I don’t know how you can say that Dubai will never change, when it has already changed significantly and will continue to evolve as long as there is public demand for it. It is not only the expats that want change you know.
You have had a hard time of it and I would be pissed off in your shoes, but if you are going to play with the big boys, you need more than just an abaya and a rowboat as your get-out clause. Think of it as a character building exercise and get on with life.

Any chance that you can introduce the Kid to your world???
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat