Its RAINING!!!

Topic locked
Feb 21, 2006
With respect XRW we are not ignoring the topic, the rain led to a discussion re safety.

And furthermore with respect, having been in a taxi in a six car pile up on the SZR in the middle of summer with my car, the car in front and behind "skidding" , then ABS in my opinion, is vital.

Maybe if they had ABS fitted, the stopping distances would have been reduced and 4 cars not written off, and people not taken to hospital.

arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 22, 2006
From experience I can tell you it does not matter if you have ABS or not. If you don't actually apply your brakes and keep accelerating it does not matter! :lol: :roll: Also as a matter of interest-4wd fine BMW write-off!!
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 22, 2006
arniegang wrote:With respect XRW we are not ignoring the topic, the rain led to a discussion re safety.

And furthermore with respect, having been in a taxi in a six car pile up on the SZR in the middle of summer with my car, the car in front and behind "skidding" , then ABS in my opinion, is vital.

Maybe if they had ABS fitted, the stopping distances would have been reduced and 4 cars not written off, and people not taken to hospital.

No need for respects mate, you are entitled to your opinion, I'm not going to be offended. Just funny how you kept bantering us to shut up about the rain when you could have easily not read the topic, right?

And you might want to re-read my post, you're talking about "middle of summer", where as I'm talking in particular to the road conditions faced yesterday. I never said ABS is useless. It is the closest manufacturers can provide to an idiot proof braking system.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 22, 2006
I worked in the automotive business....

ABS might be great on a dry surface, but on a slick surface like on oil drenched rain soaked Dubai roads or on ice, the manual pump and break is far more effective. ABS is not yet a "smart system" and has a habit of coming on too soon on some cars which can actually lead to more accidents.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 22, 2006
On a lighter side, my car is all shiny today after my main man, Mr. Car Washer, cleaned it :)
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 22, 2006
Ha! And mine still looks like pig in mud.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 22, 2006
:lol: So, it's a happy day for you Liban. May we be blessed with a down pour later. That would make my day! :lol:
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 22, 2006
GAB wrote::lol: So, it's a happy day for you Liban. May we be blessed with a down pour later. That would make my day! :lol:

No problem.... He will simply wash my car again on Friday... Woo Hoo :D
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 22, 2006
Yeah, yeah rub it in!! :cry: My car is looking a little unkept.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 22, 2006
GAB wrote:Yeah, yeah rub it in!! :cry: My car is looking a little unkept.

Awww.... Take it to the mall... Its 10AED...

But your $$$$$$$$$$ car still looks better than mine even if it is unkept...

Feel better? :oops:
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 22, 2006
The guys always say "company charge 10 sir" and then sticks their hand out for more...
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 22, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:The guys always say "company charge 10 sir" and then sticks their hand out for more...

Really?

Before I got my cleaning man, I used to go to malls and never got asked for more... Must be my evil glare... :)
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 22, 2006
Yeah, before I started going to emerat to get my car washed I used to pay the people at City Center 15dhs cause I was thinking of the company charge 10 then these guys would be lucky to see 2dhs of it.

I bet its u and ur bloody dodgy glare :x
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 22, 2006
You are like me-I give 15 to 20 dirham, but I am always a little irritated to learn they do a better job on the driver's side!! :lol:
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 22, 2006
Emarat - NNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!! Evil nasty people! Boycott them I say, BOYCOTT!

Weel I'm going off roading this weekend so my car is going to get really dirty - yeah!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 22, 2006
I do pay 10 anywhere, and i pay after it is polished not in advance, and the guy never asked for more, he just asked for 10 dhms.

XRW may be because you are driving a Porsche ;) you pay premium.

BTW this is my block's garage, I'll PM you.
yshimy

Feb 22, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Emarat - NNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!! Evil nasty people! Boycott them I say, BOYCOTT!

Weel I'm going off roading this weekend so my car is going to get really dirty - yeah!

Well, I'd love to but they have the best grade super petrol... so even though I know they are bastards my car is worth it :P

Off roading is good fun - enjoy!
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 22, 2006
yshimy wrote:I do pay 10 anywhere, and i pay after it is polished not in advance, and the guy never asked for more, he just asked for 10 dhms.

XRW may be because you are driving a Porsche ;) you pay premium.

BTW this is my block's garage, I'll PM you.

I don't pay in advance either. Guys used to ask for it in advance but I alwayz tell them make sure its clean and u'll get it after. Either way 5dhs is fark all to me compared to what its worth to these guys, so I take it as a good deed.

Ummm u live in Dubai Marina as well... and in the same building no less... well Liban is across the road so this is really a small town.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat