Anyone See The Segment On Oprah About Dubai?

Topic locked
Anyone see the segment on Oprah about Dubai? Nov 09, 2009
Hahaha what a joke! Where did they get that so called Dr from? She clearly doesn't live in Dubai.

Free DEWA? Free healthcare? And they interviewed her via Skype - pffff.

You'd think with all her cash Oprah could at least afford some decent researchers.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 09, 2009
Choco, you beat me to it, I was about to post on this !

Anyways, there is already a debate over this going on online...

Many expats are saying the image portrayed was false.

As expected Dubai backers came and said "Dubai is best place, everyone is rich, if you dont like it, just leave"......complete with twisted grammar and awkward syntax....
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 09, 2009
LOL - can we have alink so we can get stuck in? I emailed the Oprah producers - lol
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 09, 2009
I was speechless when she said free electricity & water ;)

Free healthcare.. yes on some extent (e.g emergency case at govt hospital). When my mom & parents in law came for visit 2 years back, my parent in law got diabetes & high blood pressure. They surely not residents nor having any health card/insurance. We took him to Rashid hospital, emergency section. Was pretty amazed by the good facilities (comparing to other public hospital on other countries). He was on bed-rest the whole day, they gave IV liquid and medication until it returns to normal level. When discharging and asked about where to pay, the nurse said it's free, emergency cases are free.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 09, 2009
The biggest irony IMo was that she used Skype...

Someone should have just said it there and then that Skype is banned so that we have to pay indirect taxes!
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 09, 2009
This I need to see....On which channel do ya'll watch Oprah?
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 09, 2009
BlackburnRovers wrote:The biggest irony IMo was that she used Skype...

Someone should have just said it there and then that Skype is banned so that we have to pay indirect taxes!

You can't download Skype from within UAE (website is blocked, therefore can't buy credits). I don't use Skype but according to friends who use it they still can use Skype (at least PC to PC) if you download it from outside UAE (or if you have private VPN service).
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 10, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:This I need to see....On which channel do ya'll watch Oprah?

Check it out.

http://www.oprah.com/media/20091021-tows-dubai
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Anyone see the segment on Oprah about Dubai? Nov 11, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Hahaha what a joke! Where did they get that so called Dr from? She clearly doesn't live in Dubai.

Free DEWA? Free healthcare? And they interviewed her via Skype - pffff.

You'd think with all her cash Oprah could at least afford some decent researchers.

Water and garbage disposal are free but electricity is heavy discounted for locals in Dubai, at least who have own villas. That's why most of them never turn off light leaving a room.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 11, 2009
dont old people and women with no jobs watch oprah :D sorry never watched that show in my life.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 12, 2009
I love DUBAI as hi is.
dubailife
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 12, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
Misery Called Life wrote:This I need to see....On which channel do ya'll watch Oprah?

Check it out.

http://www.oprah.com/media/20091021-tows-dubai

Thanks mate.

So what you up to these days?
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 12, 2009
I don't watch her either but did see when see made the news promoting a book author who was a big phony. Apparantly she is starting up her book club again. Probally thinks the smoke has cleared enough now.
canuckbid
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat