Hard To Keep Fit In The Emirates

Topic locked
Hard to keep fit in the Emirates Nov 02, 2009
A bit bout me, I'm new in town, landed a job only to find out that everything here is not all that hunky dory. Got a simple salary and a decent living space, absolute essentials in my opinion. The prob is that I ain't got too much left to spare and this town sure is expensive. Rants apart I need to know how the rest of you stay fit? Do ya'll gym? swim? trek? Please fill me in as I'm on the lookout for a cost effective heath and fitness program.
I'm not a huge fan of gymming yet I have enlisted with a little health club for 300 a month. I feel I would have a decent fitness regime if I could swim somewhere. But there are no public Olympic size pools here and the private ones are too expensive.
So it would be great if the rest of you could post in your fitness programs and give me a few suggestion.

Thanks

Mr.Fit
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 02, 2009
Well personally I hate the gym with a passion. So my sport of choice is wakeboarding, wakesurfing, wakeskating, anything you can do behind a boat! Running, swimming, love the climbing walls around town (at Wafi and Trade centre).
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 02, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Well personally I hate the gym with a passion. So my sport of choice is wakeboarding, wakesurfing, wakeskating, anything you can do behind a boat! Running, swimming, love the climbing walls around town (at Wafi and Trade centre).

Brilliant. I need to know more though, like where do you swim and I need info on wakeboarding too. You see I'm brand new in town and the it seems like the most boring men on the continent have been bundled into my office. Going to starbucks is the high point of their day. So I guess this forum might be my only source of info.
Mr.Fit
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 02, 2009
Buy a 4x4 and get out into the desert, best time of year starts now and if you enjoy camping it is a good time to explore this new country that you are in.
Searcaigh
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 02, 2009
get a copy of time out - there are tonnes of clubs, the only thing is things are pricey. Its very easy to blow 'all that extra money' you were planning to make out here.
Roadtester
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 02, 2009
Mr.Fit wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Well personally I hate the gym with a passion. So my sport of choice is wakeboarding, wakesurfing, wakeskating, anything you can do behind a boat! Running, swimming, love the climbing walls around town (at Wafi and Trade centre).

Brilliant. I need to know more though, like where do you swim and I need info on wakeboarding too. You see I'm brand new in town and the it seems like the most boring men on the continent have been bundled into my office. Going to starbucks is the high point of their day. So I guess this forum might be my only source of info.

Well I just swim in my compound pool to be honest. I wakeboard at the Jazira club at Ghantoot, exit 399 on the way to Abu Dhabi. We go every weekend, more than welcome to join. I'll pm you my details.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 02, 2009
Yo Mr.Fit, I feel ya. I'm an out and out adventure junkie myself, and can't get no peace at night if I don't do some kinda workout at day.

Here's my regimen,
Run or parkour or skipping at corniche thrice a week
Kickbox twice a week
Swim thrice a week
And in between I throw in skating (corniche) and kayaking ( with a friend at breakwater). Need to start rock climbing too.

It's very cost effective, so no worries there.

And in between that I play football as well. Normally I run and swim early morning and play footie or skate or kick box in the evenings.

I've invested in a basic home gym set. So that takes care of my weight training which I do bout twice a week.

Swimming is in the open seas or sometimes at AbuDhabi Country club, (membership for the gym and pool as a package in about 5000 a year. Standalone swimming charges in a 26 metre pool is 80 an hour)
The weather is improving now, so the seas are not a bad option as long as you don't mind the salinity.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 02, 2009
^^^MCL, can I practice in ur gym please? :X
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Nov 03, 2009
i train at home, i dont like gyms. its a waste of time to travel. heres what i do in a week;

sun,tues, thurs- strength training - using 3 yr old barbell set
mon, wed - running/sprint in neighbourhood
friday - muay thai, i invested alot of money on gear here but well worth it

you just need to buy some weight set and running shoes. check dubizzle.com some people sell cheap weight sets there.
xero_
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 03, 2009
Searcaigh wrote:Buy a 4x4 and get out into the desert, best time of year starts now and if you enjoy camping it is a good time to explore this new country that you are in.

I must know you from somewhere or the other, someone with similar passion and intrests would be hard not to.

Memeber with any of the offroading clubs ? freelanced as a safari guide ?

oh yeah and plus one for the suggestion aswell. Get a weekend 4x4 for under 20k and explore the desert and mountains of this country which cover 90% of this rich in natural beauty country. ( Proper and natural Kayaking and mountain climbing included )

Being a strict city deweller your limited to only 10 % of this country and even less if you stay with in one city limits
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 03, 2009
This is just what I was looking for. A big shout out to all those who have replied.

It seems like someone posted me a private message but I can't access it.
Mr.Fit
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 03, 2009
Oh...the irony ! :D
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 03, 2009
Mr.Fit wrote:This is just what I was looking for. A big shout out to all those who have replied.

It seems like someone posted me a private message but I can't access it.

I believe that you have to have at least 10 posts before you can access PM's
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 04, 2009
melika969 wrote:^^^MCL, can I practice in ur gym please? :X

Definately, ur most welcome :D I'm on the lookout for a salsa partner as well.

Ma cherie wanna tango? :D
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 04, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:

why not! :D

I know a little salsa, I can teach u! ;)
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Nov 04, 2009
melika969 wrote:
Misery Called Life wrote:

why not! :D

I know a little salsa, I can teach u! ;)

Niceeeeeee!

Well the endevour is to one day dance like this (it's tango):-

and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t_SgoJc ... re=related

The intimacy of these dances is on another level altogether, I often wonder what goes on in the minds of these dancers.

PS I know you don't get youtube, so which video sharing websites are open to you then?
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 04, 2009
^ none!

I can got utube at home by bypassing proxies if I had a good internet connection, but not today! :(
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Nov 04, 2009
melika969 wrote:^ none!

I can got utube at home by bypassing proxies if I had a good internet connection, but not today! :(

Check this it's cool
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 05, 2009
Now this is how's it's done, thug workout...

Bicep variations on the bar

Calisthenics is the way to go. A good routine of push ups and pull ups with increasing intensity should be more than enough for the upper bod.

Supplement that with cardio like swimming and running.
Incorporate rock climbing as well.

Play a sport or just do high intensity running for the lower bod, jump rope would be great too.

As opposed to isolation exercise I prefer working out the whole body in unison. Keeps the body propotional.

It's all bout bodyweight exercises. And that should do it.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat