Expats May Face Driving Tests

Topic locked
Expats may face driving tests Oct 16, 2009
Expatriates from places such as the UK, Canada and Australia would need to pass new tests before receiving their UAE driving licences, under proposals to improve road safety tabled yesterday.

Taxi drivers would be required to have at least two years of driving experience in the UAE before being allowed to work. Other major reforms suggested by a UK consultancy hired by the federal Government included requiring drivers to be at least 20 years old before they can operate some kinds of heavy vehicles and for all new drivers to undergo 30 training sessions.

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll ... /710149834

I don't know if it's a move to a right direction but at least it's fair for non-privileged expats.
At my point of view authority should exchange licence to everyone with experience more than 5 years in own country.

As for cab driver I agreed. At least in Sharjah taxi companies hired people who cannot drive. I just wonder how they passed the tests at all.

Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Re: Expats may face driving tests Oct 16, 2009
Red Chief wrote:Expatriates from places such as the UK, Canada and Australia would need to pass new tests before receiving their UAE driving licences, under proposals to improve road safety tabled yesterday.

Taxi drivers would be required to have at least two years of driving experience in the UAE before being allowed to work. Other major reforms suggested by a UK consultancy hired by the federal Government included requiring drivers to be at least 20 years old before they can operate some kinds of heavy vehicles and for all new drivers to undergo 30 training sessions.

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll ... /710149834

I don't know if it's a move to a right direction but at least it's fair for non-privileged expats.
At my point of view authority should exchange licence to everyone with experience more than 5 years in own country.

As for cab driver I agreed. At least in Sharjah taxi companies hired people who cannot drive. I just wonder how they passed the tests at all.

I also agree that more has to be done to make the roads a safer place to be, however my concern is; who trains the trainers?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I think it's more economic than safety issue. As sales of new cars dropped for 42% against previous year they desided to add a dozen thousand Brits to save jobs in RTA.

As for cab drivers I believe that during 2 years of driving in the UAE they will have been studied by themselves. Then they will able to drive people.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Red Chief wrote:At my point of view authority should exchange licence to everyone with experience more than 5 years in own country.

I disagree, because how can you possibly compare someone who had to do little more than drive in a straight line to pass their test, with someone who has gone through theory and rigorous road tests - it's not comparable. Only until road tests are standardized world wide would this work.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 16, 2009
Didn't Sh Mo take the hump when the standard of driving was cristicised in the British press some years ago. That is the problem: Acknowledging the fact that the standards are appalling and doing something about it. Instead, deflect the attention to the expat community. Chocs is right. How can one compare western driving standards with the learning procedure here?

I personally went through the Motorcycle training course here and I have to say it was a joke from start to finish.
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 16, 2009
I think that generally speaking the skill level of drivers in Dubai is quite high.
The main problems lies with the fact that they don't give two hoots about anyone else on the road.
Speeding, flashing high beam, not using indicators, keeping to the left instead of the right hand lanes...
All of these can be solved by the police targeting these offences. And I mean pulling people over and telling them what they have done wrong. I have got a lane violation myself, but have no idea what I did wrong. I think that the police may have taken offence when I used my indicator to merge in front of them.
Anyone remember the days when everyone drove on the hard shoulder and how a police crack down put a stop to it within a month?
Unfortunately the majority of drivers need to be forced to correct their ways rather than trying to appeal to their conscience.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Oct 17, 2009
A guy I knew had a G2 (learners licence) in Canada and it looks same as full fledged driver's licence. Not only he got the driving licence here, but he went back to Canada and got the full licence without even taking a driving test.

This is your system :)
abyssdesire
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 17, 2009
what no1 realises is that the majority of the accidents are created by taxi drivers, bus drivers, coach drivers, van drivers and truck drivers.

These drivers are low paid and in some cases I am sure they are paid on how many deliveries they do etc etc.

Most of these drivers are from india, pakistan & bangladesh & parts of the Middle East and in my opinion they have the "skills" to drive any vehicle they want. I also think that with the rule of "having 2 years driving experience" will not make the drivers slow down.

Here is a situation, you get into a taxi from dubai airport and you destination is lets say SHARJAH. The total bill comes up to lets say 50Dhs. But the taxi driver drives like crazy. Why? Because maybe most of his day will be stuck in traffic from dubai to sharjah and also when coming back from sharjah to dubai. To make it worse he wont be able to pick up any pessengers from sharjah or on his way to dubai. so if you have 1 trip to sharjah then your whole day is wasted and you will probably not earn that much in that day compared to other non-sharjah trips. With expenses like rent, food, supporting families back home etc etc taxi drivers will drive like crazy regardless of strict license policies.

They have to change the laws i.e if a dubai taxi driver is going to sharjah, he should be able to pick up passengers that want to come to dubai. The same goes for taxi drivers from other states.

Or increase the basic salary of drivers to insure that they dont have to drive wrecklessly.

Also road rules should be same as in abu dhabi where vans shouldnt be allowed to drive in the fast lanes. THere should be atleast 2 lanes designated for vans, trucks, coaches and buses etc.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 17, 2009
rudeboy wrote:what no1 realises is that the majority of the accidents are created by taxi drivers, bus drivers, coach drivers, van drivers and truck drivers.

Is that your opinion, or is there data to support your claim? Not trying to call you out, just interested to know.
RAKman
Dubai Forum User

Re: Expats may face driving tests Oct 17, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:I disagree, because how can you possibly compare someone who had to do little more than drive in a straight line to pass their test, with someone who has gone through theory and rigorous road tests - it's not comparable. Only until road tests are standardized world wide would this work.

Which particular countries are you talking about? :o

IMHO experience is more important than the theory?
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 17, 2009
The main problems lies with the fact that they don't give two hoots about anyone else on the road.

Yes I agree. Driving in dubai is a fair representation of life here

Arrogance, selfishness, elitism are the norm. Life is cheap!
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 17, 2009
smoggie wrote:Arrogance, selfishness, elitism are the norm. Life is cheap!
qdabdul
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 17, 2009
rudeboy wrote:what no1 realises is that the majority of the accidents are created by taxi drivers, bus drivers, coach drivers, van drivers and truck drivers.

These drivers are low paid and in some cases I am sure they are paid on how many deliveries they do etc etc.

Most of these drivers are from india, pakistan & bangladesh & parts of the Middle East and in my opinion they have the "skills" to drive any vehicle they want. I also think that with the rule of "having 2 years driving experience" will not make the drivers slow down.

Here is a situation, you get into a taxi from dubai airport and you destination is lets say SHARJAH. The total bill comes up to lets say 50Dhs. But the taxi driver drives like crazy. Why? Because maybe most of his day will be stuck in traffic from dubai to sharjah and also when coming back from sharjah to dubai. To make it worse he wont be able to pick up any pessengers from sharjah or on his way to dubai. so if you have 1 trip to sharjah then your whole day is wasted and you will probably not earn that much in that day compared to other non-sharjah trips. With expenses like rent, food, supporting families back home etc etc taxi drivers will drive like crazy regardless of strict license policies.

They have to change the laws i.e if a dubai taxi driver is going to sharjah, he should be able to pick up passengers that want to come to dubai. The same goes for taxi drivers from other states.

Or increase the basic salary of drivers to insure that they dont have to drive wrecklessly.

Also road rules should be same as in abu dhabi where vans shouldnt be allowed to drive in the fast lanes. THere should be atleast 2 lanes designated for vans, trucks, coaches and buses etc.

Yeah sure -
qdabdul
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 17, 2009
You should all pay a visit to China then you will be thankful of the wonderful standards that we have here in Dubai.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 17, 2009
and Egypt :shock:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Red Chief wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:I disagree, because how can you possibly compare someone who had to do little more than drive in a straight line to pass their test, with someone who has gone through theory and rigorous road tests - it's not comparable. Only until road tests are standardized world wide would this work.

Which particular countries are you talking about? :o

IMHO experience is more important than the theory?

Oh righto, so knowing about road signs, signals, stopping distances, how to drive in various weather conditions etc is all irrelevant is it?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Oh righto, so knowing about road signs, signals, stopping distances, how to drive in various weather conditions etc is all irrelevant is it?

He-he, Chocks, looking at road disasters during snow fall in the UK last winter I understood that Brits know absolutely nothing about driving in severe winter conditions. :)

As for theory "Yes" it's sincapated in the UAE but the practice when Brits exhange license but the rest has to have a test is discriminative and that discrimination is absolutely baseless.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 18, 2009
I'm not just talking about Brits! But also the other nationalities who can readily exchange their licenses, all come from countries where the test is far harder than the one here - so how does that make any sense. Once again this is a money making scheme pure and simple.

And yes I'll agree with another poster that the reason for most accidents is the 'the road is mine' attitude of certain drivers. Also trucks and mini-van drivers are horrific! Most of them go along at well over the speed limit hogging the second to left lane, if you put a speed restriction of those vehicles and confined them to the two most right lanes, you'd see a massive difference.

I object to having past one of the toughest tests in the world, having driven for 18 years without incident, to then have to be put through a crappy test here, which they'd fail me for no apparent reason to make more cash. It makes no sense whatsoever!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 18, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:I object to having past one of the toughest tests in the world, having driven for 18 years without incident, to then have to be put through a crappy test here, which they'd fail me for no apparent reason to make more cash. It makes no sense whatsoever!

Did you know that there were plenty of people who drive for 7-8 years in the USA or the UK but had to give the test again here?
Thats because a Brit can only exchange a British license. If an American has driven for 10 years with a German or British license, then he cannot tranfer it. So yes, this is not the first that someone is being used as a cash machine
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 18, 2009
But that's only because the persons nationality and license origin are different, if they were the same it would be no problem.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 18, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:But that's only because the persons nationality and license origin are different, if they were the same it would be no problem.

Erm, so how does that rule make any sense?
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 18, 2009
It doesn't at all! Again it's just an excuse to put people through a useless test for profit gain.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 18, 2009
Have you ever noticed how people change when they get behind the wheel? You can take a mild mannered grandma is is normally quite and laidback but when they are driving they think they are in the indy 500. Unbelievable how a vehicle can change some one's mindset. Vancouver is full of nut jobs. I've never seen so many people in a hurry to go nowhere.
canuckbid
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 18, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:It doesn't at all! Again it's just an excuse to put people through a useless test for profit gain.

but isn't that the same procedures being followed in every country if you are not a tourist or does every license works every where ?

I mean when I was in the state they asked me that no license is allowed but the US one if you will live here !!
uaekid

Oct 18, 2009
I don't know about if you are resident, but when I drive on an International license when I travel.

But the point I'm tryig to make is, if you come froma country where the test is a mission to pass in the first place and are then told to take a more substandard one in another country, how does that make sense at all?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 18, 2009
canuckbid wrote:Have you ever noticed how people change when they get behind the wheel? You can take a mild mannered grandma is is normally quite and laidback but when they are driving they think they are in the indy 500. Unbelievable how a vehicle can change some one's mindset. Vancouver is full of nut jobs. I've never seen so many people in a hurry to go nowhere.

You're so right! Road rage is a huge problem and people go bananas.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 18, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:I'm not just talking about Brits! But also the other nationalities who can readily exchange their licenses, all come from countries where the test is far harder than the one here - so how does that make any sense. Once again this is a money making scheme pure and simple.

He-He, Chocks, I also had rather rigorous test in Soviet Union in 1984 after two years of studing (a full day a week). I doubt that the test was less strickt than in the Land of Arrogance.

Nevertheless I had to have useless test in the UAE in 2004. If this country wants to make money I just wonder why they excluded Brits from this scheme. Great Britain is not Queen of the Seas any more but very average Europen country.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 18, 2009
Chief, I'm not just talking about the UK (which you always assume and use it as an excuse to write a bashing post!), but other countries who use rigorous tests, and I don't agree that countries such as yours should be excluded from being able to do a swap.

We all know that the whole thing is a money making scheme, pure and simple! And we all know who the real culprits are for the problems on the roads, I really don't have to say it!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 18, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:I don't know about if you are resident, but when I drive on an International license when I travel.

But the point I'm tryig to make is, if you come froma country where the test is a mission to pass in the first place and are then told to take a more substandard one in another country, how does that make sense at all?

I guess they don't want to go throw the hassle of analyzing each and every country driving test ! the UK is 1 out 200 nationalities here ! even though our police lean to UKs in many things.

But I don't thing it is a matter of making money and yes our driving test is not up to standers the way I see it.
uaekid

Oct 18, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Chief, I'm not just talking about the UK (which you always assume and use it as an excuse to write a bashing post!), but other countries who use rigorous tests, and I don't agree that countries such as yours should be excluded from being able to do a swap.

We all know that the whole thing is a money making scheme, pure and simple! And we all know who the real culprits are for the problems on the roads, I really don't have to say it!

don't you rather pay this so called scheme than seeing ppl dieing bcz of poor driving skills methods and attitude that they brought from back home?
and I thing they make more than they need from radars income, ask and you ll get shocked :)
uaekid

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat