Will The "Freehold" Law Ever Pass????

Topic locked
Will the "Freehold" law ever pass???? Feb 13, 2006
Will the "freehold" law ever pass or is all just hot air???? Under the current rules as a foreign investor we're at the mercy of the developers who have ultimate authority over what happens to purchased investment property. The contracts sign between purchaser/developer is competely onesided and leaves little room for a foreign investor with a majority of the elbow room left for the developer. The "freehold" property itch its in its infancy and yet to see any changes to allow more rights(ie. property registered with appropriate Govt. Authority authenticating sole ownership) to the property owner. We're just not into the whole leasehold bs. Am I really ready to be bullied by a developer and be left with little to no rights to my own property, I think not.

MossyOakMudslinger
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 13, 2006
RAK and Abu Dhabi have both passed freehold laws, but Dubai is still sitting on it at the moment.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 13, 2006
I suspect they are waiting for the property market to start dropping, when this happens they’ll pass the law and help reinforce property values. I’m guessing early 2009., kinda using the law as an ace in the hole.

Just my 2 fils, I could be very off.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum