Invitation For Compliance With Car Window Tinting Regulation

Topic locked
Jul 26, 2009
You forgot to qoute me fumbling along at 90k behind a pickup in the last lane aswell.

desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jul 26, 2009
Some drivers buy new tyres to pass the registration test and then switch back to old tyres. It it was up to me, I would confiscate their cars.....
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 26, 2009
BlackburnRovers wrote:Some drivers buy new tyres to pass the registration test and then switch back to old tyres. It it was up to me, I would confiscate their cars.....

Yep, they don't buy them, they just rent them for a day. I read 2-3 years ago that this was mostly trucks, but maybe now it's changed.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Invitation for Compliance with Car Window Tinting Regula Jul 26, 2009
sage & onion wrote:In this mornings Gulf News the above mentioned notice is inserted, it also gives the following statement;

- The colour of the tinting film has to be brown or black and non-reflective. It has to be applied to the side and rear windows of the vehicles, excluding front window (windshield), with permissible darkness up to 30% maximum.

- The rule applies to UAE nationals as well as expatriate motorists.

- Using tinted glass is not permissible in taxicabs and heavy vehicles.

I am very interested to see how this will be implemented.

This is actually what was in the newspaper, lets keep to the subject and comment whether or not the over-tinting should and or will be removed.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Invitation for Compliance with Car Window Tinting Regula Jul 26, 2009
sage & onion wrote:This is actually what was in the newspaper, lets keep to the subject and comment whether or not the over-tinting will be removed.

Nope
desertdudeshj

Re: Invitation for Compliance with Car Window Tinting Regula Jul 27, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:
sage & onion wrote:This is actually what was in the newspaper, lets keep to the subject and comment whether or not the over-tinting will be removed.

Nope

Sage protecting his own thread.....could try it a bit more with others ;)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 27, 2009
The really dark tinted windows are dangerous, and when people have over half the front windscreen done, how on earth do they see anything esp at night!!! Most of these people don't see any further than the front of their bonnet, so anything impeding their vision makes it so much worse.

To say this doesn't cause accidents is just sheer ignorance. The reflective window tints are the worst, they are absolutely blinding.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Invitation for Compliance with Car Window Tinting Regula Jul 27, 2009
Speedhump wrote:
desertdudeshj wrote:

Nope

Sage protecting his own thread.....could try it a bit more with others ;)

Nahh..rest just get moved to fight club. Hmmm...I could infect this thread with some "tasty" langauge and have it moved. Now thats what I call a proper hijack LOL !
desertdudeshj

Jul 27, 2009
Did you read 7 days today about forums? They mentioned DF amongst others. The language was one thing they mentioned about DF....

The subject has been discussed now anyway, nothing much more can be added.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 27, 2009
Speedhump wrote:Did you read 7 days today about forums? They mentioned DF amongst others. The language was one thing they mentioned about DF....

The subject has been discussed now anyway, nothing much more can be added.

Any links ?
desertdudeshj

Jul 27, 2009
I read the paper version, how old fashioned is that!:D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 27, 2009
Very !
desertdudeshj

Jul 27, 2009
OK E-paper online, you just need to set up a log pass. You can catch back issues as well (not useful to wipe your bum with though...).
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 27, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:The really dark tinted windows are dangerous, and when people have over half the front windscreen done, how on earth do they see anything esp at night!!! Most of these people don't see any further than the front of their bonnet, so anything impeding their vision makes it so much worse.

To say this doesn't cause accidents is just sheer ignorance. The reflective window tints are the worst, they are absolutely blinding.

not to the extent that it causes accidents, I have used it and most of the ppl in hot areas are , again how many uses the real dark ones ? it doesn't if its reflecting or not, the ones setting inside can see well, I have been using both in the old days :(... maybe you see it this way bcz you didn't get use to it or used it before.

It's legal in the USA for the exception of the driver windows and only for safety reason in case the car get in an accident it would be hard breaking the window to get passengers out bcz the tinting papers or material acts like a glue. they allow as much darkness as you want in all other windows even if you paint them black LOL
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jul 27, 2009
uaekid wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:The really dark tinted windows are dangerous, and when people have over half the front windscreen done, how on earth do they see anything esp at night!!! Most of these people don't see any further than the front of their bonnet, so anything impeding their vision makes it so much worse.

not to the extent that it causes accidents, I have used it and most of the ppl in hot areas are , again how many uses the real dark ones ? it doesn't if its reflecting or not, the ones setting inside can see well, I have been using both in the old days :(... maybe you see it this way bcz you didn't get use to it or used it before.

It's legal in the USA for the exception of the driver windows and only for safety reason in case the car get in an accident it would be hard breaking the window to get passengers out bcz the tinting papers or material acts like a glue. they allow as much darkness as you want in all other windows even if you paint them black LOL

Oh come on kid, those dark tints are impossible to see out of properly, the ones that are really ridiculous are where they have removed a small art close to the wing mirror so that they can see.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jul 27, 2009
Well actually I used to have really dark tints on my cruiser, and I have to agree with kid. It really does not hinder vision much at night if the correct film is used. But on a really dark unlit road at night it does impede vision a tad. A friend of mine got really light tints but crappy film. They worked like reverse reflective tints ! It was like having mirrors on the inside on each of your window !

But there are other benefits to be had specially at a time like this. The car stay much cooler even when parked in the sun protecting the interior. The A/C works better and has to work less hard to keep the car cool. In thus saving a tiny bit on gas aswell. But I know thats the last reason dark tints are used !
desertdudeshj

Jul 27, 2009
"impede vision a tad" this is amazing!!!!!!!!!!
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jul 27, 2009
Hey I'm just telling you what I know. In a place which is totally blacked out and doesnt have any other light other your headlights save for an odd dim bulb on a door It really doesn't matter you crawling at 10 or 20 in these places anyway.

Its not like your going down SZR during rush hour, blind ! Anyways I'm not defending the practice I've seen things probally most of you never have. I use to hang around a good friends place who did this and emaratis would come in have two layers of the darkest tint and then to top it all off a slighty reflective layer. Even during the day it looked like you were looking through a welders mask. Now that is Dangerous, but not very many do it or have the balls to do it. What we are talking about in this thread is like 30% through tint which looks very dark from the outside but really isnt specially on sedans.

Never say never unless you've tried it.

Anyways Thank god that tinting is allowed in the nowadays. Maybe you wern't around during the time when no one was allowed to have a tint save for the very connected emaratis.
desertdudeshj

Jul 28, 2009
I have been around for a while and to be honest anything past the legal 30% is simply dangerous and irresponsible.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jul 28, 2009
Actually KId, dark tints are illegal in the US! David Beckham recently got a fine for having blacked out windows on his car in LA, so your info is not correct!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 28, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Actually KId, dark tints are illegal in the US! David Beckham recently got a fine for having blacked out windows on his car in LA, so your info is not correct!

well I have been there for 5 years so I'm sure about it. most cars are tinted but hey thats not important.

but check tintcenter .... com it shows the tinting laws in CA
uaekid

Jul 28, 2009
sage & onion wrote:I have been around for a while and to be honest anything past the legal 30% is simply dangerous and irresponsible.

So is weearing shorts and neck laces in Shj :P
desertdudeshj

Jul 28, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:Hey I'm just telling you what I know. In a place which is totally blacked out and doesnt have any other light other your headlights save for an odd dim bulb on a door It really doesn't matter you crawling at 10 or 20 in these places anyway.

Its not like your going down SZR during rush hour, blind ! Anyways I'm not defending the practice I've seen things probally most of you never have. I use to hang around a good friends place who did this and emaratis would come in have two layers of the darkest tint and then to top it all off a slighty reflective layer. Even during the day it looked like you were looking through a welders mask. Now that is Dangerous, but not very many do it or have the balls to do it. What we are talking about in this thread is like 30% through tint which looks very dark from the outside but really isnt specially on sedans.

Never say never unless you've tried it.

Anyways Thank god that tinting is allowed in the nowadays. Maybe you wern't around during the time when no one was allowed to have a tint save for the very connected emaratis.

a tad???????? maybe crusing on SZR is okay, but with a 4WD and dark tinted windows, how do you manage navigating in the city especially neighbourhoods where the street lighting is not that great. As it is 4WDs have lots of blind spots. Dont you fear backing into some small kid behind? Once you run over someone, i dont think the saving you got in the efficient air conditioning would be worth it.

On another note - would you believe - just last week I visited a office next to the AUH police GHQ. In the afternoon, while going for lunch outside, saw all these cops get into their personal cars - whoah. 3 or 4 digit plates - all mercs, Landcruisrs, Lexus with the darkest tint possible. One merc has this mirror type tint all around. looked great - for a car show maybe but not for the streets. This is the example that gets set.......Sad...
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 28, 2009
I've got cars passed with massive tints jobs and no one ever raised a finger. Only the first couple of years after tinting was made legal did they question darker tints but you could talk your way out of it.

Talking about tints I need to get my Land Rover done. It only has a faded tint front passenger window and rear driver side window ! I got it like this and hardly drove it during the day, but now since its my only car now and its quite hot need to get all the windows done. With a slightly "darker" tints 8) Althought I really don't like anything on the front windscreen even those little black strips
desertdudeshj

Jul 28, 2009
it has advantages and disadvantages..

This is some articule I found ….
Tinted car windows benefit drivers and motorists in many ways. First, it protects the passengers from direct exposure to the sun, which may cause premature skin aging and heightened risks of skin cancer. Auto window tinting also helps prevent accidents. Car window tints are designed to deflect sunlight, thus, protecting the eyes of the driver from glare. Tinted car windows will also come in handy in the event of an accident. Car tint sheets hold together broken glass so injuries are minimized.
Car window tinting also protects your car from overheating. You are bound to enjoy longer road trips, especially in the summer, if you windows are protected. Aside from making your car look more hip, tinted windows also give you more privacy. Furthermore, your car upholstery is protected from fading or cracking due to severe exposure to sunlight.

And This is a statistics from AD police .
Top 10 causes of accidents in the UAE
1. Speeding
2. Running red lights
3. Not indicating when changing lanes
4. Windows tinted beyond 30 per cent
5. Careless driving
6. Not stopping at pedestrian crossings
7. Driving without a driver’s licence
8. Failing to check blind spots before a lane change
9. Drunk driving
10. Not obeying the rules of the road

Provided by Abu Dhabi Traffic and Patrols Department. Statistics from 2005-2007
uaekid

Jul 28, 2009
uaekid wrote:it has advantages and disadvantages..

This is some articule I found ….
Tinted car windows benefit drivers and motorists in many ways. First, it protects the passengers from direct exposure to the sun, which may cause premature skin aging and heightened risks of skin cancer. Auto window tinting also helps prevent accidents. Car window tints are designed to deflect sunlight, thus, protecting the eyes of the driver from glare. Tinted car windows will also come in handy in the event of an accident. Car tint sheets hold together broken glass so injuries are minimized.
Car window tinting also protects your car from overheating. You are bound to enjoy longer road trips, especially in the summer, if you windows are protected. Aside from making your car look more hip, tinted windows also give you more privacy. Furthermore, your car upholstery is protected from fading or cracking due to severe exposure to sunlight.

And This is a statistics from AD police .
Top 10 causes of accidents in the UAE
1. Speeding
2. Running red lights
3. Not indicating when changing lanes
4. Windows tinted beyond 30 per cent
5. Careless driving
6. Not stopping at pedestrian crossings
7. Driving without a driver’s licence
8. Failing to check blind spots before a lane change
9. Drunk driving
10. Not obeying the rules of the road

Provided by Abu Dhabi Traffic and Patrols Department. Statistics from 2005-2007

uaekid, the first 2 paras sound more like an ad promoting tinting? quote from 3M / similar websites? ;-)

hey, I think you are more likely get cancers from the junk food and fall sick from sitting in an central air conditioning building than the sun effects while sitting in car. In fact I think all models have this simple invention called the "sun shade" a simple thing you just bend down to protect your eyes from ths sun. ever tried it? Very effective and good enough for the rare occasions you drive in an east-west direction and face the sun. And who cares about the uphostery - most users change their cars every few years anyway.
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 28, 2009
SUPER EDITED !
desertdudeshj

Jul 28, 2009
So window overtinting is the fourth likeliest cause of road accidents in the UAE. Even more so than drunk driving. And it's not dangerous?
:help:
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 28, 2009
OH CRAP !

I overlooked no 4 .....Darn. Still not very use to being up so early in the day !

I take back everything I say

* editing posts as we speak
desertdudeshj

Jul 28, 2009
LOL
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat