Pedestrian Crossings On Roundabouts

Topic locked
Pedestrian crossings on roundabouts Jun 10, 2009
Here's one for you! And I think the RTA are daft for doing it. NEar where I live there is a big roundabout. It has lights which are never in operation, and pedestrian crossings on each of the entry/exit roads.

Now, classic example this guy walks on the crossing and freaks out when cars try to carry on going. However I can understand crossing where the traffic comes onto the RAB, but exits? So you expect all the traffic to stop in the middle of the RAB?!

It's just asking for an accident.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 10, 2009
Same thing on the roundabouts in the Greens. Right on the edge of the roundabout, on all four entry/exits. I never know whether to stop (which always seems the "right" thing to do), or carry on (which is what i tend to end up doing). I can't remember everr seeing official crossings in the Uk in locations like this, but they do have traffic islands at roundabouts, which you can use at your peril, but the cars always have right of way.
BlueOrb
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 10, 2009
I don't think you should ever stop for pedestrians here (unless you're going to hit them of course) because if you stop for them they might think that is the normal way to cross and the next time they will be killed by someone when they walk out on a crossing.

Doing the right thing and stopping might actually do more harm than good.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Jun 10, 2009
Stop for a pedestrian and the person in the car behind you goes insane.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 10, 2009
Well law here says its not allowed to stop for a pedestrian in a round about, 2nd if a pedestrian crosses the round about its jay walking, they should always use the pedestrian lanes. Only thing ill do here is minimize my speed and horn on him for him to be alerted.
portland
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 10, 2009
portland wrote:Well law here says its not allowed to stop for a pedestrian in a round about, 2nd if a pedestrian crosses the round about its jay walking, they should always use the pedestrian lanes. Only thing ill do here is minimize my speed and horn on him for him to be alerted.

I think what Choc is saying is that they have put pedestrian crossings on the exits of the roundabout.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Jun 10, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:
portland wrote:Well law here says its not allowed to stop for a pedestrian in a round about, 2nd if a pedestrian crosses the round about its jay walking, they should always use the pedestrian lanes. Only thing ill do here is minimize my speed and horn on him for him to be alerted.

I think what Choc is saying is that they have put pedestrian crossings on the exits of the roundabout.

well all round abt. here have pedestrian lanes on RA exits, except for little ones.
portland
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat